CAVE Hatch and CTHE Estate comparison review

I am sure that I have heard several times that the 1.4tsi twinny is an utter moose to try and mate up to a Manual Gearbox.

There's no reason that a 1.4 engine with Turbo couldn't product 190bhp, after all a mapped Twinny is running solely on Turbo when it peaks at over 200bhp.  Aslong as VAG have plans for making the low and mid range usable, no reason I can think of that this wouldn't be the 1.4 ACT rather than the 1.4 P(permanent deactivating)CT

• Like 1

There has been nothing up to now to stop them from modifying the Inlet Manifold

and stop the Turbo Charger on the Twincharger from tending to cook one Cylinder and Plug.

Take more care with the Components they source or manufacture, 

and issue the Technicians with more informative instructions.

& since some 1.4 TSI engines pre 2012 are fine at over 200 bhp,

surely the Car Manufacturing Company aiming to be the biggest in the world can work things out.

No rocket science required really you would think,

A Company that can Race Cars for 24 Hours at Le Man & other Endurance Events ,

win Rallies with VW & Skodas, and even try to bolster their reputation and make a big thing of their motorsport heritage,

could put their thinking caps on.

• Like 2

The two points that intrigue me are: "CTHE feels much more rapid than he old CAVE." Now that sounds as a pretty strong statement in my ears so trying to figure it out either: 1) It's a placebo due to the car being brand new (but you don't sound as an inexperienced driver tbh) 2) There were unknown issues with the old car 3) Skoda have secretly applied a generous power increase to newer models (can't see the reason behind it though). As per another thread's request, getting two well-working cars (a CAVE and a CTHE) on the same RR the same day would shed much more scientific light to this I think. Wish I was near as I have always felt the engine to perform brilliantly on mine so I think I could be a good CAVE representative. But anyway, these cars have had so much variation in the way they work, oil consumption being only one area of this variation so it maybe shouldn't come as a surprise in the end. Also, you mention turbo-lag is almost present which is most strange as the supercharger is there to practically eliminate this and it does it really well I would say, so a really different map possibly? Or even an actual Stage 1 remap having been applied by the dealer???  :giggle:  At least that would explain the alleged power difference as well!

Haha yeah it does FEEL much quicker. Whether or not it is actually quicker I've no idea really but I suspect the CTHE would edge it. The style of power delivery is just somehow different and the DSG has clearly been updated. Would be great to get CAVE and CTHE cars on a rolling road and quarter-mile shoot-out!

Haha yeah it does FEEL much quicker. Whether or not it is actually quicker I've no idea really but I suspect the CTHE would edge it. The style of power delivery is just somehow different and the DSG has clearly been updated. Would be great to get CAVE and CTHE cars on a rolling road and quarter-mile shoot-out!

We will see how a couple of lightly modified Mk2's one CAVE one CTHE make it round Combe on the 26th :)

• Like 1

I have no power increase for coombe, just rsr's , eibachs , and H&R roll bar :)

You don't need one, you have a yummy new CTHE under the hood, mine is a lowly CAVE.

I think RSR's and track experience make you the faster car by a country mile, I will be bricking it on road tyres :D

• Like 2

We will see how a couple of lightly modified Mk2's one CAVE one CTHE make it round Combe on the 26th :)

Just reading the thread on this in the show section. Might be tempted to pop along if I can! Are you guys doing the 'clubstand' thing and booked track time?

• Like 1

Just reading the thread on this in the show section. Might be tempted to pop along if I can! Are you guys doing the 'clubstand' thing and booked track time?

I am booked as is Dave for track time

I have four sessions booked, two with Brisky and two late slots with some of the brave fools joining the open sessions :(

Currently online trawling for cheap track tyres................and new dampers..............and brake pads.

Get yourself down, it's my first meet and want to meet as many of you reprobates as I can.

• Like 2

Yes Tom we will be there most of the day on the club stand, just going off for the two track sessions :) if you have a helmet you can come for a passenger ride if you wish ;)

I am booked as is Dave for track time

I have four sessions booked, two with Brisky and two late slots with some of the brave fools joining the open sessions :(

Currently online trawling for cheap track tyres................and new dampers..............and brake pads.

Get yourself down, it's my first meet and want to meet as many of you reprobates as I can.

Awesome! Will speak to SWMBO and see if I can make it happen. :-)

• Like 1

FurbyTom what is the small sticker above the side repeater that is visible in one of your pics?

I think they are rally championship winning stickers. Monte Carlos and vRS come with them on :-)