Collected my 3rd Yeti

RayB

Warning, long post.

Haven’t posted for quite some time although I have been looking in on a regular basis. I’ve just picked up my 3rd Yeti and thought that some readers may be interested in my observations, or may be not.

So why did I go for a Yeti in the first place? Both my wife and I are retired and we’d had enough of crawling out of low cars on our hands and knees. So cars with higher seating had to be the way to go. My son was driving a Superb at the time, which he was very pleased with and it seemed to be a nice reliable vehicle, otherwise I would not have considered a Skoda.  The Yeti was making an appearance around that time so off we went to see our friendly dealer for a test drive. Now I’m 6ft tall and well built and have never been a boy racer. As long as the looks of the car appeal I have always considered comfort to be the priority.  Although I cannot remember which model it was I was impressed with the space available and the ease of handling. The dealer offered what seemed a satisfactory deal so that was it.

Yeti no 1:

Steel Grey 1.2 TSI SE from Jan 2010. (Not many around at that time). Like others I was unsure of the capability of the small engine. However when I first started off the pokiness caught me by surprise.  The engine suited me fine, and it was so quiet. As most of our trips were now short journeys a diesel would just not have suited, and I’m not an off-roader.

I wasn’t keen on a can of gunk so I went for the spare wheel. I also went for the TPM, which as it turned out proved its’ worth within the first two weeks. A warning light flashed on the dash, which after referring to the handbook I realised was the TPM. I checked all the tyres but they seemed to be ok to me. To be on the safe side I had them checked and lo and behold a screw was embedded in one of the rears creating a slow puncture. I could have been caught out.

Some people don’t like the reminders on the MFD regarding gear changes. Being someone who grew up with four gear cars, and tended to forget I had a higher gear when five gears came in, (my son always politely reminded me), I found this feature quite useful. Also there were comments that 30 mph was not highlighted on the speedo. It’s easy to see where 30 is so I didn’t find it a problem. Some people also didn’t like the fact that KPH instead of MPH appeared on the MFD. Having driven in France and Belgium a few times I found this feature quite useful. Overall I found the Yeti one of the most comfortable cars I had ever driven with plenty of head room and especially room for my long legs.

Yeti no 2:

Black Magic 1.2 SE Plus DSG from Nov 2012.  I had no hesitation in going for another one. I had never had an automatic before and as most posters on here recommended the box I thought I’d give it a go. Overall I was very pleased with the DSG Box. I think it has made me a smoother driver and I find it more relaxing when driving. Yes, as people have said, you do experience a very slight delay when you accelerate but you soon get used to it.

Once again I went for the spare wheel and the TPM. I also decided to have mud flaps fitted all round. Now, I’m undecided about their usefulness. I just seemed to get a finer mucky spray on the back and sides.

The SE plus also came with the Amundsen Sat Nav which I used a few times. What I liked was that directions also appeared on the MFD to save looking down at the screen.

Yeti no 3:

Moon White with Black Roof 1.2 Elegance DSG.  The FL was coming out and a friendly chat with my dealer highlighted that by making use of the 0% finance I could upgrade for very little increase. So I ordered on 13th Dec 2013, was given build week 9, and took delivery 26/03/14.

As you can see I went for the DSG again. (Will I ever go back?).

Plus :

Black Alcantara upholstery

Matterhorns

Spare Wheel

TPM

Amundsen Sat Nav + DAB

Wooden Facias

Textile Mats

I debated about going for the Heated Windscreen, but I had to balance the overall price so I didn’t in the end. (I’ve never had one, and being retired there’s not many early starts these days, so I felt I could manage as I’ve always done).  I decided to give the flaps a miss this time.

Photos to follow .

As I’m now on my third I guess that must say something?  It suits our needs very well.

Safe Driving.

Hi RayB,

Definitely a happy Yeti driver.

Your choice to swap/change every 2 years is good all round, you have the warranty all the time and the dealer should give a good price as would be easy for them to sell with 12 months left.

As said, the DSG is good and there is a slight delay from start off which I've got used to as well. I've had auto cars for over 50 years, love them.

Moon White really stands out, like it.

Happy motoring, again.

Snap Ray.

We took delvery of our No 3 Yeti on the same day as you.

A 1.8 TSI L&K 4x4 in Brilliant silver.

Our No1 was a 170 tdi Elegance and No2 a Greenline Elegance.

The 1.8 engine is a real peach(we've tried most of them). :giggle:

You have picked a very similar spec to me...

Same colour scheme

Same alloys

Same alcantara

Same nav

Same spare wheel

Same mats

Just different engine & trims!

Good choice!

I've ordered my third yeti. Not got a build date as yet, but I ordered a yeti outdoor 140 TDI 4x4 DSG L&K in magnetic brown metallic

My first yeti was a candy white 110 TDI SE

My second which I still have at the. Moment is a 140 TDI 4x4 elegance. In muscovado.

I forgot to mention it will be for sale when my new car arrives but I will advertise it closer to date.

Anyway welcome the thirds club!

Enjoy the car it looks really stunning!

• Like 1