Airbag Light Help Needed in Bristol

Hi all,

I managed to source another Airbag ECU for my Y-reg Fabia 1.9 TDi Comfort estate. It has the same part code 6q0 909 601 C. I was hoping I could just fit this and the light would go out.

No such luck

Is there anyone in Bristol, or fairly nearby, who can recode the ECU. I have an aftermarket Vag Com lead, but don't thin VCDS lite will let me code anything.

I'm going to tbe selling the Fabia ASAP for £500-600. It's got tax until the end of June and MoT until October. I don't want to sell it with this issue though as it will fail the next MoT without being resolved and I wouldn;t want to sell a car with issues.

Any help appreciated.

Not sure if it needs recoding or simply having the light reset. The airbag light is one of the settings that "latches", so won't simply go out when the problem is rectified.

I've got a tool that did the job on my Octavia.

Well, I have an aftermarket Vag Com lead that uses VCDS lite. That doesn't allow me to code anything I don't think and doesn't give me all the fault codes.

I tried resetting it with a Vag Tacho cable, but that didn't work either. the light went out briefly and re-materialised straight after. I don't get any fault codes on the Aiirbag ECU with VCDS though.

@Devonutopia - I don't know for sure my old Airbag ECU is dead, but I physically checked the airbags and everything seems to be present. I assume it's holding a crash data, but have no idea how I can find out. I was hoping that, as I have the ECU with same codes it would swap in without coding, but an;t even connet using my vag com cable

@ Gyp, where abouts are you based? if the problem's been fixed maybe your tool could reset the light? the c

Excellent, I seem to recall there being a VCDS user directory on here, I'll see if there's anyone more local that can take a look. I currently have ht ecar taxed and MoT'd but my insurance has switched to the new 4x4 I'm running on Veg oil, so can;t drive it unless I re-insure it.

@ Gyp, where abouts are you based? if the problem's been fixed maybe your tool could reset the light?

I'm in Cheltenham. It's a bit of a trek, but you're welcome to give it a try if you wish.

Just noticed that the car isn't drivable. I could post it..?

Hey devonutopia, that would be amazing. I'm not far from the M5 Junction 19 Gordano.

The car is driveable except for the insurance. I could put a days cover on and meet you at Gordano.

If you don't end up passing me I will stick a few days insurance on and drive to Cheltenham to try Gyp's tool.

I really want to sell it soon, but I don't want to sell it with this fault. Everything else with the car's now good, except a lack of power at the top end from 3000 rpm. It will get to 90mph, but really slowly. I'm going to see if i can get an N75 valve from Volksmania as I've tried a fair few things, new vac hoses, new MAF, Mr Muscle, swearing and threatening it with a spanner.

If you want me to just chuck the tool in the post this afternoon, you can give it a try. Post will be a lot less than a days insurance and return petrol.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try then just say. It's wrapped up ready to go.

Hi Gyp, happy to pay postage both ways if you think it might work. Still getting close to pushing the car into the canal, so from an environmental point of view you'd be saving the planet. :angel:

Hi Gyp, happy to pay postage both ways if you think it might work. Still getting close to pushing the car into the canal, so from an environmental point of view you'd be saving the planet. :angel:

I'll admit that I've no idea if your new part needs recoding or not, so I clearly can't be sure that my tool will work. If it doesn't need recoding then it should work.

Either way, whilst I had all day to get to the post office yesterday, with the schedule this week, my next opportunity is likely to be Saturday 12th, so it's likely that devonutopia will get to you before my tool wil. If devonutopia doesn't make the trip, I'll happily post it next saturday.

BTW, the tool I have is the same as ebay 221305008083

Thanks for all the help chaps.

devonutopia popped over today and scanned he car with VCDS, sadly he is now as baffled as I.

So there's no faults (at least not with the airbag system) yet the light is still on. Maybe I should claim my car is 'unique'?

It did show that the front seatbelt pretensioners were not installed, I'll take the trim off and see if there's anything there. He felt maybe that could be an issue, but again no faults shown. I might make a separate thread to see if anyone's come across this issue too.

Also gave me some advice on one of the vacuum hoses I might have missed which should solve the boost issues.

It was nice to have some help though, so thanks for coming, hope you have a safe journey back home.