rns510 cd/dvd error

Hi All,

Posting this on behalf of a colleague at my work. He has recently purchased a 2010 Superb Elegance, with the RNS510 sat nav unit. It has been working fine, playing CDs as it should. However, it has now started displaying the "cd/dvd error" and won't play the CDs. These are genuine CDs, and ones that have played fine on the unit before.

Can anyone help out please!

Thanks,

Sometimes if it's cold you can get condensation on the CD that prevents it being read. This is very much a long shot though. It's worth checking whether there's a software reset option (Usually holding down certain buttons does it, but I don't know whether this unit has anything like this). Make sure it doesn't wipe the GPS maps before using it though. I presume it loads and unloads CD's without problems but won't play any CD or DVD you've tried at the moment.

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah, he said that you can put a CD in, it tries to spin etc, then displays the error message and ejects the disk. He has left the unit to warm up for a while too, so its not condensation.

We shall have a look into a software reset for the device.

As a side note, I don't suppose anyone knows if taking the battery off the car for 30-40 mins or so would require the stereo code to be re-entered? As the Columbus handbook states that the codes must be aquired from skoda.

Thanks again!

It should be coded to the instrument panel, so disconnecting the battery and reconnecting won't create any problems provided no parts are changed. My 55 reg Octavia did this and on careful reading, the Superb manual looks to describe the same setup, but I haven't disconnected the battery to check.

Edited by psycholist

Thanks again for the replies. KBPhoto, we have tried the reset, and nothing changed unfortunately. When a disc is inserted, it sounds like the laser is moving, but then restarts. Its like a spin then click, spin then click, spin then click, then the error message appears and ejects the CD

I get this occasionally in my older 2008 Columbus, and I'm pretty sure its the laser.  This was all but confirmed by the company that carried out a recent repair of my unit, who said it was weak.

Given the other options for playing music I don't worry too much, although it was probably the cause of my recent issue when reading a firmware CD (that lead to the repair I mentioned).  Luckily I am up to the maximum firmware I can safely go to, so its not really a problem for me.

I would try a cleaning disc as per Chris' post if not done so already.

Adam

• 8 months later...

Thanks again for the replies. KBPhoto, we have tried the reset, and nothing changed unfortunately. When a disc is inserted, it sounds like the laser is moving, but then restarts. Its like a spin then click, spin then click, spin then click, then the error message appears and ejects the CD

Did you fix problem and how, because i have the same :(