Mr Muscle Turbo Cleaning

I suspect if it all went pear shaped the owners would now be driving something else and chances are no longer use this forum.

I did raise concerns myself a while back re catalytic converter damage but was reassured there had been no repercussions from using it.

I would have thought it'd damage the cat being fairly caustic but seeing as diesel emissions testing is particulate based it probably wouldn't matter, it's just you will be invisibly polluting more than you should.

If you're handy with a spanner why not spend a fiver on a can of oven cleaner, it'll save you £'s and YOU can report back to US!

Re whistling turbo...

I too have noticed my turbo making an unusual whistle over the last couple of months.

It's not the usual turbo hiss as it spools up and that is what confuses discussions.

I'd describe it as a scraping whistle as it spools up past approx 1700rpm, not a clean whistle but kinda rough hence the word scraping.

Not overly loud but noticeable and there is also a gasping woo sound when you come off power.

I suspect it is either:

a. normal-car is performing better since adding redex diesel treatment, previous owner perhaps didn't rev engine so much and things had sooted up.

b. indicative of a leak somewhere in the inlet pipework.

c. signs of impending doom... I hope not.

I've kept an ear out on my 06 PD105 and it hasn't changed over the last two months so I'm tending to go with scenario a.