Lofty79

The Mr Muscle VNT Turbo Treatment - thought we needed a guide of sorts

Lofty79    613

Is this clear enough to understand? or is there anything anyone wants added? let me know. Mods let me know if this guide is fitting and appropriate

Edited by Lofty79
  • Like 1

Lofty79    613

Sounds good to me. :)

Great, just wanted to make sure. Saved people hundreds of pounds around me. Anyone that does this and gets the results please post and let us know.

wilsy7    120

Did you do this with the car on Ramps from underneath or from on top? You say the mr muscle is flammable and to be careful when applying, what about we you start it again does it ignite? Did this solve your limo issues? I don't have any but wonder if it's worth doing to keep on top of things?

JoshH    976

Quick question, if the turbos off the car and I'd like to do this before fitting...how can I wash out the mr muscle sprayed into it?

Cheers

devonutopia    5,157

If the turbo is off the car, I'd personally split it and remove each component and clean thoroughly. ;) You can't really run water through it - one advantage of doing it on the car is the drive afterwards flushes it all out.

Lofty79    613

I did this from above (no ramps reqd) . Mr muscle doesnt ignite on start up because its a diesel and doesnt spark - it just burns off as you drive away and turbo gathers heat, most exits the exhaust as soon as you turn over. Every case i have ever treated, and every case i have ever heard of has cured limp mode issues. I would only do it if you have the issue (if it aint broke dont fix it).

No need to wash it out as such, just spray it in (exhaust side only- this is very important) fit it and start her up, that would take about the 2 hours you see, and as devon says as its off the car, may as well strip it anyway

Edited by Lofty79

Polo6n1600i    131

We did this to my VRS last night - (i'd had a go at it beofre, but think the m r muscle had just gone down the exhaust) Lofty79 (Carl) came out to check the car over also as I wasnt 100% sure about the placement of the pipe. I'd already removed the EGR, EGR pipe, EGR > Boostpipes and the MAF to inlet plastic air duct to give extra access.

Only took 2 minutes for Carl to put the hose in place and spray the Mr Muscle into the right place. Then rebuild while its soaking and Carl kept pumping the actuator every few minutes to loosen it off. The first few times he siad it felt a little gritty and quite stiff. after a 10 minutes soak and a few more pumps of the actuator and it was 100 times smoother. Left it for another 30 minutes or so.

We also put a bung in the EGR vac pipe - NO CEL light on.

Started it up and it smelt like a nice clean oven!

Took it for a gentle run out the main road for 7 miles. Then turned round and gave it some on the way back to the house. No issues, more lively at lower revs, tried to hold the revs up the range as that would be where it would normally kick into limp home mode.

Seemed to be much better to drive.

This morning was a good news bad news situation - the car took 2-3 cranks to get it to start. Then it coughed a little at pull away from my driveway & the CEL light had come on. (But thats just the EGR bung). It was probably just some mr Muscle left sitting over night - the car is more fun to drive, especially mid range and i've had no issues on my run to work this morning.

There seems to be less smoke just at the point of about 50mph, in 4th at 2000rpm (just as the boost comes in) it use to smoke quite badly there. There is more pull, sooner in the lower gears. And so far I have had no further limp mode. I'll keep evberyone updated on this over the next few weeks

• Like 1

Lofty79    613

Glad to have helped, and glad it worked, hopefully your starti.g issue was as you say a little left in there. Thats one fast little car. Thanks for the food fella.

robo_1    0

Anyone wondering if this will really work???

Well it does.. i followed Loftys instructions to a T, and Hey dam presto, Works a treat..

NO MORE LIMP MODE BLUES...

Cant believe it .. Its like driving a Different car... :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun: :sun:

Lofty79    613

Spot on mate. Next couple of days it will get a little better to as the residual cleaner is burnt of. A motorway run really helps, get the turbo nice and hot.

Happy for ya pal, and you should have enough left to actually use it for its expressed purpose - car happy wife happy

alexandjen    9

I have never cured my limp mode when towing so will be giving this a try - just to clarify - are we unbolting the metal pipe from the manifold or will it be ok just to remove the EGR from the pipe and insert silicone pipe from there?

Lofty79    613

it must be at manifold as its easier to know where its going. Someone has done as you said and it didnt do anything, however when doing it to the letter it worked well.

Make sure it goes in as far as it can go.

you will find as well as limping when towing, it will probably do it around 3500 revs too

alexandjen    9

Ok thanks, I'll try and unbolt it at the manifold then - I've only had it limp driving solo when climbing a steep hill with 4 passengers and a boot full of luggage.

Where can I get the pipe to spray the Mr Muscle into?

Lofty79    613

hardware store, halfords, even pets at home bubble tube for a fish tank. Just wherever is cheapest, you have to chuck it after anyway. Get loads so you can have can somewhere comfortable and not have to bend yourself all over the place.

Read instructions carefully and make sure all is done as written.

Wee tip, you will get on better with a hex socket rather than a multi on manifold egr bolts - both will work but hex gives a better purchase

Edited by Lofty79
  • Like 1

alexandjen    9

PIPE TO UNDERSIDE OF EGR

IMG_2530.jpg

WIDER VIEW SHOWING RATCHET POSITIONED ON UNDERSIDE ALAN KEY BOLT OF EGR

IMG_2531.jpg

PIPE TO MANIFOLD

IMG_2533.jpg

PIPE REMOVED SHOWING ALAN KEY BOLTS FROM UNDERSIDE OF EGR

IMG_2539.jpg

MR MUSCLE DOING ITS THING WITH TUBE INSERTED INTO MANIFOLD

IMG_2541.jpg

TURBO ACTUATOR - PUSH DOWN ON TOP PART IN LINE WITH CENTRAL NUT

IMG_2542.jpg

• Like 2

Lofty79    613

if its a vnt turbo it can be done and proceedure is same, and you have to undo from under egr cooler instead on some. however if you are not having limp mode issues i would just leave it

Edited by Lofty79

Octavia MK1    1

it goes into limp mode when I'm going up hill and over 3000 RPM. I have to do something. I was thinking to ask a garage to take the turbo off the car and clean it properly...I hope that will be less then £300