Buying Advice for a new Fabia

Just on a couple of points above - i had mine 3 years with no issues and got 57% of its value back mainly due to the VAT deal in the first place when I bought the car,  when I changed in Feb this year

I agree with others a nearly new Demo would be the answer but with a few bits on it - you need the Admunsen Sat Nav- it was a decent little unit and made the interior a lot better.

Good hunting.

When my ex had her Fabia I convinced her to have sat-nav and parking sensors.

I agree it makes the dashboard look nicer and less plain and having a full colour display to show where the sensors are beeping is a useful addition.

I think my mother will go for the PCP scheme as it seems to be a  good option if you want to change the car regularly.

Thanks.

Also remember the Fabia is one of the few hot hatches with 5 doors.

For the money when I was looking to change cars the drivers choice and value choice this time round was probably the Fiesta ST - but 3 doors limits its appeal and as much as I liked it, 5 doors were needed.

Good luck

For what its worth I took my first long run yesterday in my VRS down to Heathrow to drop my mom off.  I followed a 1.2 TSI Fabia estate for a short while down the A43 past Silverstone until the lady driving it left me standing!  She was certainly making it move so I don't think they are that slow.  I presume it was the 105 PS.  Had I not still been running mine in or had my nervous mom on board I would have gone after her to see what they can do. :devil:

• Like 1

The manual version was a 85ps and the Auto was a 105ps.

To be honest sitting in the back the Auto did feel nippy when it kicked down.

It's not going to be my car so I'm trying to be subjective about what engine would best.

The 130ps Primera engine feels underpowered especially when overtaking.

But as a comparison my ex's 105ps diesel was great with lost of torque, the car felt really driveable and overtaking was effortless.

So my thinking is that the 1.4 has the same torque figures as the diesel and being supercharged and turbo charged the performance should be usable without the usual lag from a turbo engine.

I haven't driven the vRS so I'm just going on my experience of driving other cars.

We've decided to go for a vRS Fabia I hope its the right choice seeing that there wasn't one to test drive, especially with some people saying the ride can be a bit harsh.

Here are the options that we thought we should get with the car:-

Textile floor mats                          £50

Acoustic rear parking sensors     £285

Sat Nav                                            £625

Climate control                              £280

Cruise control                                £175

Front armrest                                £90

Rear Electric windows                 £160

Race Blue Metalic Paint             £525

Are there any other options do you think we should include or remove from this list?

The quote from Broadspeed looked good. There was no discount on the options so we will see what the dealership can offer. 

We hope to order it in the coming week. :happy:

You won't get your money back on the options when you come to sell it so I wouldn't be loading up too much.

The Sat Nav if it's the Amundsen is not worth £600, it's fitted as standard to my Tech.

The Climate is only single zone so again I don't thinks it's worth £300 when it comes with air con anyway. The buttons do look better than the dials though.

The mats surely must get thrown in by the dealer, mine were with a tank of fuel.

It's up to you how you spec it but it's a run out model so it's going to suffer depreciation, the less you pay new, the better IMO.

Sent from my RAZRi using Tapatalk

Buy the features you want on a car while you own it,

and do not worry about resale value IMO.

It will probably lose near 50% in 3 years, but then you have the car you want for 3 years,

I would get the Glasses Case for £25 rather than sourcing one later for £17.

I would give the Mats for £50 a miss and buy nice ones someplace.

I would buy the Extra 2 year Warranty at time of Ordering even if keeping less than 5 years.

I would not take, 'Special Paint Treatment' or 'Fabric Guard treatment',

if you want a car Detailed have a Detailer do it,

Get it done from the Cash/ Money you saved by driving the Price down, rather than Free Mats

and a Tank full of 95 RON Petrol.

There are new unregistered cars in the Country and deals to be done for less than a Factory build.

There are Delivery Mileage cars in Dealers for 'Much Cheapness'.

Enjoy trying a car to see if it is for you.

george

I agree regarding options they are a waste of money when it comes to trade in.

With the broadspeed discount it isn't that far off the list price of the car.

I wish ŠKODA would have made a final addition of the vRS with Elegance spec and a few choice options like Sat Nav for £1000 over the list price.

This would have made the Fabia more attractive to people that might have looked to buy a newer designed model.

Thanks for your feed back.

• Like 1

Unless you are paying stupid Skoda Brochure price list money,.  you can have a new unused vRS for less than other 

high spec Mk2 Fabias or Monte Carlos.

the vRS Estate can be a real bargain.

Their are no newer design Models, the Metal is the same, the FL already happened,

their are only cosmetic enhancements to interiors and some tat added to exteriors.

The car is Tall and Skinny.  

& the Mk2 replacement is supposed to be more 'Squat'.

So that will be lower and wider probably.

Buy the features you want on a car while you own it,

and do not worry about resale value IMO.

It will probably lose near 50% in 3 years, but then you have the car you want for 3 years,

I would get the Glasses Case for £25 rather than sourcing one later for £17.

I would give the Mats for £50 a miss and buy nice ones someplace.

I would buy the Extra 2 year Warranty at time of Ordering even if keeping less than 5 years.

I would not take, 'Special Paint Treatment' or 'Fabric Guard treatment',

if you want a car Detailed have a Detailer do it,

Get it done from the Cash/ Money you saved by driving the Price down, rather than Free Mats

and a Tank full of 95 RON Petrol.

P

There are new unregistered cars in the Country and deals to be done for less than a Factory build.

There are Delivery Mileage cars in Dealers for 'Much Cheapness'.

Enjoy trying a car to see if it is for you.

george

Good advice on the extras,which I would agree with,only adding that the electric sun roof is a good one,versatile and easy to use controls...the Skoda price is a bargain and the same thing in an Audi/VW would cost a lot more...and you get a rear seat courtesy light with the sunroof that you don't get otherwise,don't ask me why.

But you are either a sun roof type of person or not,I appreciate that,they are not essential but very pleasant in the right circumstances.

Edited by XK140

Hi

I've noticed that there is price a £400 increase across the range except for the 1.2 12v 60ps S model.

The prices are taken from the main website but the brochure hasn't been updated yet to May.

Strange that they are increasing their OTR prices for an end of life model.

Are there any spec changes that might cause this increase?

Edited by AJR77

I paid £11500 including 3 yrs free servicing 11 mths ago for my Monte Tech, it's now £15500 and an extra £14 a mth for servicing!!!

I can't imagine they'll be selling many now when you can get an Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR for £11800 plus servicing and it's a much better car to look at although the interior isn't up to much. The spec is better too and it's only £30 a year road tax.

Skoda should be dropping the price of the Fabia not increasing it so don't know what they're doing.

Not fancy this one?

http://www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk//used-cars/36097/skoda-fabia-hatchback-5-dr/

Reckon you might be able to get this for £10,500? A year old but will save you a fortune and won't lose a huge amount if you keep it for 2-3 years.

I bought a new one last March and mines probably worth £10,000 now so it's cost me £4,500 for a years driving, but too much for a Fabia IMHO.

Not fancy this one?

http://www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk//used-cars/36097/skoda-fabia-hatchback-5-dr/

Reckon you might be able to get this for £10,500? A year old but will save you a fortune and won't lose a huge amount if you keep it for 2-3 years.

I bought a new one last March and mines probably worth £10,000 now so it's cost me £4,500 for a years driving, but too much for a Fabia IMHO.

The price is really tempting but my mother wants to get it on PCP and have the option changing it every couple of years.

Does that vRS have a standard steering wheel or is it the upgraded one? It looks really nice.

That's the standard one, same as mine, it's nice.

How much a month is it looking on a PCP? Putting my accountant hat on, a 5 year loan works much the same way as a 3 year PCP, both will leave you needing to pay off 40% of the value in 3 years time when you PX the car.

It depends on the deposit.

We haven't worked out how much she is going to put down.

But the monthly budget is around £250.

She also liked the fact it was 0% APR representative.

The price is really tempting but my mother wants to get it on PCP and have the option changing it every couple of years.

The VRS seems to depreciate quite heavilly now the VAT free deals are gone.

I saw one a little over three years old in a dealership up for £9,000.  So that probably was £7,500 at trade in time.

If you want a PCP you could probably get a better car with better residuals for less money per month.

Unless the discount you are getting is huge.

As George says, used are where the good buys are.  In my opinion of course. :)

Here is a two year old car with under 10,000 miles.

£10,500 before haggling at a Skoda main dealer!

http://www.skodalondon.co.uk/cars/used/car.aspx?id=582

Have a look at the 1 series for a good PCP deal, they were doing 116i Sport's for £249 deposit and £249 a month, 8,000 miles over 48 months. 

I saw that deal and got the wife a 116i M Sport the other week, such good value.

I know this is a Fabia forum, but just trying to give advice, I really rate my VRS just make sure you don't overpay.

Have a look at the 1 series for a good PCP deal, they were doing 116i Sport's for £249 deposit and £249 a month, 8,000 miles over 48 months. 

I saw that deal and got the wife a 116i M Sport the other week, such good value.

I know this is a Fabia forum, but just trying to give advice, I really rate my VRS just make sure you don't overpay.

The problem is that because the car is parked in a garage the only way to get in and out of the car is on the passenger side. Therefore there must be easy access from the passenger side to the driver side seat. 

Modern designed cars have got a very high centre console which is not suitable. We've had a look at Mercedes A-Class, Ford Focus, Audi A3 & A1 and Volkswagen Golf.

The only modern designed car which looking at photos had easy access was the BMW i3. But at £30,000 for a range extender version it was outside of the budget.

So that's one of the major reasons why the current Fabia is so suitable and that's the reason why we don't want to wait for the new version to come out as this might have a high console.

Broadspeed is offering £1,559 discount off list price but nothing off the extras. Can the dealers the pushed to give a better discount than this including extras?

Broadspeed is offering £1,559 discount off list price but nothing off the extras. Can the dealers the pushed to give a better discount than this including extras?

The car you have specced is almost £20,000, including the optional extras above.

I'd really hope you can get a better price from a dealer, because that's a lot for a mk2 Fabia.

I can't understand how your £250 monthly payments are going to keep up with depreciation, unless you are putting down a fair deposit.

Trade in price after three years would be around £7,500 and you'll have only paid £9,000 off otherwise.

I think you need to speak to a dealer or two and press them hard.

We went to the dealership to see what they could offer.

We told them the spec we wanted and they said they could included some of the options free.

This equates to £500 discount. Far short of the £1727 broad speed quoted.

The dealer said that because it was a 0% finance deal then there wasn't much of a discount available and the broker will not be able to give much of a discount on a 0% pcp deal either.

I will check with broad to see what they say but £500 off even with 0% finance offer does seam very low discount.

It does affect your discount if you have the 0% PCP deal as the dealer doesn't get a kick back from the finance company that they can include, but in this case £500 is rubbish.  For what it's worth I got three times that two months ago with 0%.  It could well have been as I had a 'stock' car which Skoda would probably want to shift, so they passed on a discount to the dealer, who knows.  I'd say shop around.

AJR77,  re 'Broadspeed Quotes' on a Discounted Car,  

are you all the way to getting actual prices for a car delivered as you want it, with someone that is going to supply it?

If it is a PCP Deal your Mother wants with the option of changing every couple of years, (post #40)

what sort of Monthly Cost is that coming in at, and is it worth Speccing up a car.?

There are deals available on better cars than a vRS from other Manufacturers,

& plenty of cars that you can climb across from one seat to another.

http://drivethedeal.co.uk

AJR77,  re 'Broadspeed Quotes' on a Discounted Car,  

are you all the way to getting actual prices for a car delivered as you want it, with someone that is going to supply it?

https://drivethedeal.co.uk

The broad speed quote was as specified as we want it from the factory. There was no discount on the options so it makes no difference to the discount.

It does affect your discount if you have the 0% PCP deal as the dealer doesn't get a kick back from the finance company that they can include, but in this case £500 is rubbish.  For what it's worth I got three times that two months ago with 0%.  It could well have been as I had a 'stock' car which Skoda would probably want to shift, so they passed on a discount to the dealer, who knows.  I'd say shop around.

I think we will have to shop around. The finance bloke we spoke to was adamant there was no more discount than what they offered us. I don't know if he was bluffing and just thought we would take that discount.