V8 Daves black magic mk1 vRS - project "filthy not a V8 shed"

V8 Dave

OK, so I've actually had my mk1 vRS  for nearly 18 months now, and the poor thing has suffered some abuse over those miles (bieng a Land Rover nut, my driving style is often described as, er, 'industrial')

It was a bone stock, tidy(~ish) mk1 with rusty tailgate. The previous owner (a member of this forum will be saddened to hear I've let her slip, so things change NOW!

I've already deleted the SAI/N112/N249 as can be seen here

IMG_0595_zps9440f8b7.jpg

The missus will hate me for posting that, I can feel it in my waters...

Anyways, chrome is for midlife crisis owners (AKA Harley riders), so time to get ride of the bling

IMG_1038_zps15fe5a21.jpg

Should really have removed the grille and done it properly, but I was impatient and the bolts are just blobs of rust that will turn to iron filings when I try and remove them, I can feel it. I'll do it properly when I get a few more hours to myself, promise!

Now, the gearbox has been doing a good impression of a supercharger, so gearbox oil change was next up

IMG_1070_zps626c12d6.jpg

Much better, doesn't sound like a dog box in the car when on the overrun now :)

And the next mod was going to be an S2000 cone filter and heat shield (Bowders supplied the cone at a steal of a price - cheers mate!) but my brother managed to nab it as his new A3 purchase turned out to to have a rusty Halfords special filter sucking in foetid hot air (and rust). The heat shield was also crappity crap crap crap so I sent that back in disgust and will be making my own, Jabba style.

In the mean time, as the panel filter was manky and I'm not doing too many miles in her at the moment as the clutch is shagged, I stuck this on

IMG_1073_zps4d1fc04a.jpg

It's an OEM Honda Prelude air filter. Kinda like the S2000 filter, but more compact and an even greater surface area! The S2000 has circa 250,000mm2 of filter surface area, this has 330,000mm2 and cost me the grand total of a fiver posted; the silicone coupler was also cheaper at 9 quid too :D

The future plans include

New seats (hate the vRS ones, no lateral support for my fat arse)

Black carpet (so the filth and rubble that can be found on the floor aren't so damn obvious)

Aero wiper arms

Downpipe with V-band sports cat

Diesel centre section

New back box with 3" tails (not rolled, hate rolled, looks like, well, erm, a rim. Guys know what I'm talking about!)

Remap

SMF/VR6 clutch

Rods/TFSI K04 conversion

Brembos

So not too much then :D

Oh, and it's project filthy because it lives under a bloody great fir tree that pigeons constantly shag in, and consequently, gets crapped on and covered in sap during the summer. Clean the car, go indoors, come back out, it's covered in pigeon exceretions and tree sap. This got old after about 15 minutes of living in this carboard crapshack of a flat so 18 months on, the paintwork is basically fecked. And I've crashed it :(

Yeah, gonna chuck it in the car wash and stick some decent pics on. She does scrub up well when shown a little TLC, but I'm a mechanical man, not a bufty nut. It's suit me just fine it it was matte black to be honest :D

And gutted about the chrome bit popping out, I always wondered if I could but couldn't quite see how :(

The paint is already stone chipped due to the veritable dirt track that passes for the A27 round here. I swear I saw a guy shoeing a mule on the side of the road the other day.

• Like 1

Just been out to look, and it looks like I have two broken slats. So, either mesh (not overly keen) or another grille by the looks of it :(

Also, the clutch slipped under full boost earlier, so time for the G60/VR6 sooner than I hoped :(

Plan is now this: -

Clutch

Poly fill the mounts (dog bone already has a TDI red bush)

Black carpet

Grille

Exhaust because the cat is also borderline shagged

Anyone want to buy a kidney, or my left nut?

In the meantime, mocking up a heatshield v1

D0F7177F-AA0A-4008-A9F0-A27FAB9BB24B_zps

Doesn't fit. And don't have any more card. Time to eat all the cereal in the house I think.

Ebay for the heasheild. Search golf mk4 ones. There is a company that does stainless steel ones for around 25 quid delivered.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tried one, it was gash and sent it back. didn't seal much, and for 25 knicker, I'd rather make it myself. My brothers old vRS had a Jabbasport shield and cone that was spot on. Screw paying 160 quid for it though. The R-Tech ones are similar, but even 69 quid for a bit of bent ali is a bit steep for the northerner in me, so I'm going to modify the pattern I have and post it here when I'm done. It'll basically go across the back of the battery, mirror the angle of the MAF, and finish up next to the cable trunk. Then stick some door rubber along the top of it to seal it to the bonnet and bosh, job's a good'un :)

How serviceable is the left nut?

Gutted about the clutch :( at least its upgrade time though

It has a mind of its own, and it's partial to the posh bird from Gogglebox on the telly, other than that, she's a goer :)

• Like 1