New brake discs and pads - i'm confused!

Hi

My Superb 1,8 TSi, 2008 Twindoor (hatchback - 3T4) needs new brakes.

A friend of mine who works at a Skoda dealership looked stuff up on their computer, and told me it needs 312x25mm front discs and 286x12mm rear discs.

That's fine, although the selection of 286x12mm discs is very limited!

Will a 282mm disc work just as well with the stock calipers?

I have found the PR number for the rear brakes: 1KJ

Most of the discs i find that seems compatible with PR# 1KJ are 282mm, NOT 286mm.

I can't find the PR number for the front brakes in my logbook....are there other ways to be certain, short of disassembling the car :)

What brands should i be looking at?

Currently i'm exploring ATE, mainly because i like the idea of less brake dust build up, if i buy their Ceramic brake pads.

I don't really need better braking (i think...haven't had a REAL emergency braking yet!), but i also won't buy some aftermarket stuff that ends up warping, whining, crunching etc.!

The calipers in the back are TRW i think (looking through the wheel spokes on the caliper).

Edited by mureren

I personally would say you should match like for like especially on something as important as brakes, if you look at the wear on the disc you normally see a small lip of about 1-2mm on the outer edge, the disc you are looking at being 4mm smaller would mean the pads are right up to the edge if not over lapping the edge, not good.

If you still unsure go to somewhere like EuroCarParts, with your reg number they will tell you exactly what you need from budget parts to OEM parts.

I am inclined to agree with you, but most of the manufacturers sells 282mm as compatible with PR number 1KJ, and this confuses me :)

The missing 4mm will only mean 2mm less between the brake pads anyway, but again...i'm not 100% sure it doesn't matter, hence my request for help here!

EuroCarParts aren't that happy with my danish reg. number ;)

There are several danish websites offering the same service, but they also list several options for discs and pads (anything between 256mm rear discs to 345mm front discs)

For the record, this is what i bought:

https://www.atp-autoteile.de/product/0/610018/details.htm

https://www.atp-autoteile.de/product/0/609751/details.htm

Just entered the part numbers from above for front disc and rear disc in the "OE nummer" field on the website, and chose what i wanted.

Will report back when fitting is done, so that others may benefit from this experience (or not).