Is this normal or do I have a gearbox/clutch issue

So I don't really use the mk2 vrs much but this weekend I've been playing with it and have noticed a few issues which have started to get on my nerves. The first one is when setting off from junctions it's seems to judder a bit when changing up from 1st to 2nd. The second one is that when I try park on a hill the hold assist doesn't seem to engage straight away causing me to roll back and nearly smack the car behind me.

Never noticed these issues before and swmbo never says anything so was just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problems

When using the car between drivers, it is worth giving it a few hours use to see how it behaves,

!st moving to 2nd in 'D' should be smooth and at about 2,200 rpm, and 4-5 mph.

No hesitation or judder.

Maybe just driving over a few hundred yards at 4-6 mph te gears go up between 1st-2nd in some cars.

If it does in traffic etc, maybe try going to 'S' in the crawling traffic, but be carefull with the throttle.

Hill Hold Control,

needs the Brake pedal 'pressed firmly'. not just touch the brake pedal.

It only holds for a few seconds to stop you rolling back.

As your foot comes off the brake it should be working, no roll back, 

that is the point of it.

If HHC is enabled by you, and you roll back as you go brake to accelerator, then that is a 'Fail'.  

Not fit for purpose.

george

Yeah I kinda thought it would be more used to swmbo driving habits. When parking I've literally reversed in then changed to d and as I take my foot off the brake it's rolled back which didn't fill me with confidence at all

Yeah I kinda thought it would be more used to swmbo driving habits. When parking I've literally reversed in then changed to d and as I take my foot off the brake it's rolled back which didn't fill me with confidence at all

The car had been driving for 2 hours by me before I noticed these problems

If you are running it on 98/99 ron petrol and the engine is all smooth

then the gear changes, up the gears should be smooth..

If it has not had a ECU update ask the Skoda Dealership to do one,

A Smooth engine usually makes for a smooth gearbox and changes.

The latest ECU update for a CAVE engine is very good, including for the Gearbox.

Best try HHC on a slope, easy enough, go out and try it, park on an uphill slope.

and if it is not 'Hill Holding' then there can be no 'ifs or buts,  it works or does not work.

Alway been run on v-power since skoda robbed me for a new coil pack and spark plugs about a year ago. Might look at trading it in as it's out of warranty next week. In the mean time I shall go play on some hills away from other cars just to be safe lol

A judder 1st to 2nd is not right, and if it is new to it, and before there was no judder, then it is wrong,

so best get the ECU update done and see if it is still there.

(Even a cold car first thing in the morning should not judder,

but one starting off with sticky brakes with overnight surface rust might judder slightly in the first change,

it is the rusty brakes fault, not the DSG's)

Best get all the Warranty stuff done while still in Warranty,

or raise this while in Warranty and if it needs Clutch Packs then that will get done at Skoda UK's expense.

george

EDIT, PS,

How many miles has the car now done?

if now 3 Years old, and had new Plugs & Coils, has it had a New Air Filter, 

or has it been checked.

PPS.

?? Why did you pay for Coils & Spark plugs? where they Faulty & Failing within the Original 3 Year Warranty on the car.

I would be wanting that refunded, if that was the Dealer charging you, and not Making a Warranty Claim on them.

??

Did it get a ECU update at that time?

A judder 1st to 2nd is not right, and if it is new to it, and before there was no judder, then it is wrong,

so best get the ECU update done and see if it is still there.

(Even a cold car first thing in the morning should not judder,

but one starting off with sticky brakes with overnight surface rust might judder slightly in the first change,

it is the rusty brakes fault, not the DSG's)

Best get all the Warranty stuff done while still in Warranty,

or raise this while in Warranty and if it needs Clutch Packs then that will get done at Skoda UK's expense.

Mileage is coming up to 26,000 had no choice but to pay up suk and my dealer weren't for backing down for said it was swmbo fault for not using v-power and the like. Air filter is still original as far as I'm aware

george

EDIT, PS,

How many miles has the car now done?

if now 3 Years old, and had new Plugs & Coils, has it had a New Air Filter, 

or has it been checked.

PPS.

?? Why did you pay for Coils & Spark plugs? where they Faulty & Failing within the Original 3 Year Warranty on the car.

I would be wanting that refunded, if that was the Dealer charging you, and not Making a Warranty Claim on them.

??

Did it get a ECU update at that time?

26,000 mile now,

no matter if it was run from new on 95 ron,

Failing Plugs or Coils last year was an issue for Skoda, and you should not have to have paid for Coils.

Dealer was wrong, and is still wrong.

The Recommended Petrol is 98 ron.

The car has to be able to run on 95 RON.

VW Brochures for the Polo GTI with the same engine does not even mention 98 ron,

just like the SKODA, SEAT & Audi ones do not.

& the EU Tests/Comparison-Emission/ MPG chart on the Dealership wall says nothing about engines needing 98 RON.

So Coils do not fail because you use 95 ron, and plugs with a VW Service schedule of 40,000

miles should not fail at below half of that because of 95 ron UK Fuel.

If you want when in for the Warranty Check on the DSG, 

maybe ask the Dealer Principle to refund your Money paid for Spark Plugs and Coils,

or just ask Skoda UK, to get that arranged.

They can not have it everyway, Dealer Servicing, Manufacturers Service Schedules.

Yet blame owners for using the Wrong Fuel or the way they drive.

If a 1.4 TSI/TFSI 180-185 ps Twincharger CAVE/CTHE must be run only on 98 RON to be reliable.

Or without Reduced Life of Consumables,

Then VW/SKODA/AUDI/SEAT need to say that.

(Ignition Coils are not Consumables, and under 25,000 miles from Spark Plugs should be highlighted to buyers of the VAG cars.)

I've found you need to be progressive with the accelerator going from 1st to 2nd- If you back off it will not be smooth. Gentle progressive acceleration is the key, unless you want to get off the mark quickly.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

If you are not putting the accelerator in a position to go above 5- 6 mph,

its not going to be looking to change gear really out of 1st,

if you intend pulling away from a junction or any start where you intend getting above 5- 6-10 mph,

it will go to 2nd, and then 3rd.

It should not be jerky,

this is not about spirited driving or the likes, just pulling away normally in a car with a 7 speed DSG.

Say in a 30-40 mph limit, it might be in 4th-5th by 30 mph, and 7th by 50 mph.

Same here clutch pack made ours judder from 1st to 2nd the guy at skoda dartford didn't even need to test drive it ! he took one look outside and said clutch packs lol