1.4 TSI Purchase..any problems?

Hi all,

..after monbths of indecision I have decided to look for a 2nd hand 1.4TSI Octavia to replace an ageing 2.0 diesel Octavia. I have set up an appropriate search on Autotrader and have been checking this for the last few weeks. What has suprised me is that the cars that came up on when I first set up the search are still all there.(8 weks+)....ie they do not appear to be sellling...is there something wrong with the 1.4? I can't find and negative comments or problems regarding them on the internet. One that did appeal is an estate at White Dove in Cardiff, (a bit of a travel for me..but stilll do able), however reading all the poor comments about this dealers service I think I will give it a miss...

Hi , I ve had my 1.4 for just over a year now (7500 miles) and love it . The engine is very smooth , economical and a pleasure to drive .

The only issue I have is a slight "plasticky" crunching sound when I go over the speed ramps on my street . Will get it checked at its 1st service

• Like 1

Hi Dr Bob..many thanks for your reply..I was begining to get worried. I decided on the 1.4 as I no longer do big miles, and have heard several horror stories re DPF's and low mileage.

I was sceptical re the 1.4, but recently had a test drive in a 1.4 Estate and was well impressed....seemed to offer the same performance and driving style as my current 2 ltr diesel...just hoping to get an Elegance version as i like some of the extra features these seem to offer....just a case of finding one now...

I bought an '11 .4TSI Elegance a couple of months ago and I love it. The small petrols are undoubtedly not as popular as the diesels due to the perception about better economy, but if like me you do <10k a year then those arguments dont really stack up. Its a fun drive and the turbo gives it a performance you wouldn't normally expect from a 1.4.

• Like 1

Hi Gaz, and thanks for the reply. My current diesel averages about 45 to the gallon, and I would expect the petrol to be about the same? (according to the specs if they can be believed). It certainly makes more sense to me as the petrols seem to be a couple of grand cheaper to buy in the first place, and petrol is cheaper at the pumps..so for less than 10k per year it would seem to make sense.

Edited by Stubod
  • Like 1

I've had my 1.4 TSi Elegance for 4 years, having bought it new.  In that time I've not had a single thing go wrong.  I still can't believe how powerful it is for a 1.4 litre engine.  Prior to this I had a 2.5 litre Volvo V70 and the Octavia in my opinion has far better performance.  My only complaint is that the seats are hard, especially compared with the Volvo, but this tends to be the norm for German designed cars.  With regard to fuel consumption, I average about 40mpg on a mixture of town and motorway driving.

• Like 2

I'm getting about 40 with a mix of short commute and motorway. As always YMMV (always wanted to use that in proper context!) depending on how heavy your right foot is. Part of my consumption may be that the Octy encourages bad behaviour!

Edited by GazK

Hi Gaz, and thanks for the reply. My current diesel averages about 45 to the gallon, and I would expect the petrol to be about the same? (according to the specs if they can be believed). It certainly makes more sense to me as the petrols seem to be a couple of grand cheaper to buy in the first place, and petrol is cheaper at the pumps..so for less than 10k per year it would seem to make sense.

I think 40 - 45 mpg is very acheivable (right foot willing)  On a run from Glasgow to St Andrews last week I managed 53.4 mpg .(according to the dash readout)

As you say , for less than 10 k miles ,the  petrol makes sense + no dpf to worry about

Edited by Dr Bob

As Dr Bob says low 40s is easily achievable if you drive smoothly. I had 1 for 12 months and averaged between 42 & 44 over that period. It's a nice smooth engine and will give you better fuel consumption during the winter compared to a 2.0 diesel engine as it warms up very quickly. Only downside IMO is depreciation. You should get one cheaper than the equivelent diesel, but be prepared for it to continue loosing more money than the oiler over the time you have it. If you intend keeping it a long time this may of coursenot be an issue.

I'd suggest you take one out for a decent test drive and load it up with the same number of passengers you usually take to make sure it fits your needs. Good luck.

Hi and thanks for the replies..been to see a 2010 plate today...SE spec, 30k miles, £8.5k..offered £2.5k for mine (2005 2ltr diesel Elegance 92k miles..getting tatty....but just spent £250 on a service and new wheel bearing....and have replaced all 4 tyres inlast 12 months)..seems a reasonable deal..but I am hankering for an Elegance model....decisions decisions.......

Have you looked on SUK's usedcarlocator? There's quite a selection

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604279978

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604384576

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=604330831

just a few which suggest the SE you looked at was overpriced?

I bought an '11 .4TSI Elegance a couple of months ago and I love it. The small petrols are undoubtedly not as popular as the diesels due to the perception about better economy, but if like me you do <10k a year then those arguments dont really stack up. Its a fun drive and the turbo gives it a performance you wouldn't normally expect from a 1.4.

We have exactly one of these on the company fleet, faultless performer and just as well if not better kitted out than my vRS. Obviously less horses & lbft but does 40+mpg without much effort so the guy who uses it most tells us, and it certainly performs better than anyone could expect from your average 1.4 especially given that its pulling an Octavia estate body around.

Great value for money I'd say.

Hi Littleade..and thanks very much for the links....difficult to judge the price..the ones in the links are all Elegances which is good, but generally seem to be quite a bit higher than the SEI have been looking at. Also the one I have been considering  has the benefit of being with a "local", and fairly well trusted dealer. Also found to my cost that the more gadgets you have, the more there is to go wrong. The one at the dealer does not have a spare, but apparently ther is a standard Skoda "proper wheel kit", that can be had for about £110?...would seem like a good purchase, and will definatley get one if I proceed. Also been "googling" some diesels to compare prices..and it seems that there is not a lot of differnece between the 1.4 tsi and 1.6 diesel which seems a bit odd as I thought that diesels generally are more expensive. Also like the idea that the 1.4 is a timing chain, so no cambelt to worry about changing. (I intend to keep the car for a few years).

Thanks again for the links...

You're welcome. The spare comes as a complete kit including the foam insert that goes in the wheel to hold the bits and bobs as well as a jack and wheel brace and isn't bad value TBH. Both my 1.4 and my Blackline only had the dreaded gunk with no option to include the spare as they were ex stock so I got the spare when I got the' what if' wobblies!

Hope you find one that meets your needs

Ade