Monte - new front tyres

So folks, last week saw Rossi in for new front boots, following the revelation at the service that BOTH fronts were slashed on the inside, doubtless by pothole damage and also low on tread (c.3mm).

I shopped around - Black Circles, Event Tyres, local fitters, National stockists etc.  Nobody could beat Black Circles after about a month's research (thanks to Sparkly for the assist on Event though - they were close).

I ended up plumping for Kumho Ecstas at about £70 per tyre, got triple Tesco clubcard points too.

The downside was the fitting - the prefered local fitter (Black Circles recommended) was a Vauxhall dealer, who were shocking...enough of that.

the tyres felt good on the drive back and around for the rest of the day, a bit more feel (admittedly the Dunlops were apparently worn AND torn) and felt marginally better on the bumpy stuff.

However, more time is needed to confirm them overall and a back to back ride in the Golf confirmed that they may be better than the Sportmaxx's, but "there ain't no substitute for sidewall flex" in ride comfort terms...(to misquote the cubic capacity line).

Interesting. My first set of tyres are already on about 6mm after 4,000 miles. Defo one down side to having a turbo diesel combined with a lead foot. They'll last the summer though :) Must keep an eye out on some good tyre offers.

• Like 1

Well I'm at 18,000, so not bad.  Still 5mm at the rear.

That was about £140 for the two boots.  Couldn't do better for similar mid-range tyres anywhere I looked.  I think it's the funny size.

OEM Dunlop Sportmaxx's were in at about £110 each!!

I did the research, looked at tyre reviews, euro ratings etc and am happy that the Kumhos aren't just cheap rubbish.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Kumho's all round on mine, the fronts are almost worn out after at least 14k miles (not sure on the exact figure but thats a minimum).

I like them on the whole, but for me they softened the feel of the car too much to the extent where the rear felt slightly disconnected from what the front end was doing/asking it to do. Good drip, comfy enough and not too noisy. I would get them for another car but I'm going the premium route if possible this time to see how it feels.