Bolero HU and VW Ipod Adaptor

I recently purchased a mk2 Octy Elegance FL.  to replace my mk1 Elegance.

It has a Bolero head uint, together with the Aux 3.5mm jack in the centre armrest.

I have also been given a genuine VW ipod adaptor, which my dad bought for his Passat, but no longer needs since changing to a Renault.

The question is, can I just unplug the Aux 3.5mm jack from the back of the stereo and connect the VW Ipod adaptor?

The adaptor is part number 000 051 444k

I think that adapter is for the MDI not just the aux-in. You would first need to fit an MDI unit.

The Aux in is literally just a line-in socket.

Phil

Looking at some pictures of the part number you state suggests that your assumption might be correct.

VAG cars all use the same quadlock connector, so it should be a question of unugging the blue connector (aux) and plugging the new one in.

If you have BT / phone (prep or actual) these use some of the terminals in the blue connector as well. So you may lose BT / mic ability.

I took one of those out of my Daughter's polo and replaced it with an aux line in, so pretty sure you can. She prefered an aux as the cradle was quite old and worked only with the older iphone/ipod.

It has the equivalent of the mdi box built in so doesnt need the extra mdi interface.

Adam

Ok, update - it doesn't work!

Connected it all up, and my iPod recognised that it was connected to a docking station, but when selecting aux nothing!

So it's back to using the phono lead, but at least I can play through that, and I didn't blow up my head unit.

Edited by Andynetwork

Have you had the car programmed to let it know that the MDI unit is there? There are several different media devices listed in VCDS, but I don't know which yours would be. Sorry.

Generally it should work without coding, but full functionality is often not achieved unit it is.

Otherwise, it may be that a simple pin swap in the blue connector is all that is needed. It's obviously getting power through to the iPod, so must be half way there (my logic is naieve at times, so don't take my word for it).

At least your head unit didn't blow up...