(Another) Mitsumi/ipod cable question

Apologies if this question has been asked before - from reading this forum, I'm sure it has, but the answers do seem to be a little contradictory and things may have changed by now....

I'm currently awaiting my Octavia III TSI 1.4 SE (Metal Grey, Canton, Chrome-plated Moldings etc). Unconfirmed bw 23.

I have also specced Mitsumi, and am a little unclear over what cables (official Skoda or otherwise) are available. Luckily, I am on the market for a new ipod touch anyway, so can buy either a 4th generation (30-pin connector) or 5th generation (lighting connector) depending on which connectors are available. I am only interested in audio and artwork - not video.

My dealer has informed me that the only official cable available is for the 30-pin connector and that no lightning connector is currently available. If this is true, then I'll just go ahead and buy a 4th generation ipod touch and be done with it....

However, I have also seen an indication on this forum, that a cable for the lightning connector might actually be available - either officially, or unofficially. If this is true, could someone possibly point in the right direction?

Many thanks

For artwork with a 30 pin cable you need the one with the red collar.

There is a VW/Audi lightning cable available but the white collar one defo doesn't work, there is also a green collared one but i don't know if that works or not.....

Great - many thanks for your replies.

Looks like ipod touch (5th generation), red cable and adaptor are probably the way forward then.

Am I right in thinking that the mitsumi connection is housed in the glovebox? That way, I can just plug the ipod in, leave it in the glovebox and forget about it, with no cables hanging out etc.....

Mort1 - does the sound quality seem good through the adaptor?

I use the adapter that goes from 30 pin to lightning. Works fine.

But do you get album art?

Am I right in thinking that the mitsumi connection is housed in the glovebox? That way, I can just plug the ipod in, leave it in the glovebox and forget about it, with no cables hanging out etc.....

No, it's under the climate control controls infront of the gear stick but my ipod tucks away enough so you can't see it from outside.

I have bought the green collared MDI cable thats marketed for cars in the VAG, it works fine with my iPhone 5S and displays album artwork from iTunes and spotify from my phone. 

• Like 1

Hi,

In mine I use the following 

Iphone 5S - Lighting 30 pin to Lightining Connector with Standard Lead, works well but no album art  :happy: on a bolero head unit

Only issue is the lead is to short  :wall:  well annoying  :think:

Regards

Brian

Thanks everyone - I think I finally understand what my options are now:

Seems like if I can order the green cable from a VW or Audi dealer, that should be a lightning connector (newest Apple products) that will provide me with audio and artwork. Think this costs about £70.

I could order the red cable from a Skoda dealer, that would provide audio and artwork for 30 pin connector (older Apple products). Think this costs about £50.

I could order the red cable from a Skoda dealer and use in conjunction with a 30 pin to Lightning adaptor for use with newest Apple products. Seems to work ok, sometimes with artwork, sometimes not. Total cost is probably about £75.

Obviously, cheaper alternatives may be available on eBay or Amazon etc - although probably with varying degrees of success.

Now all I have to is wait another 8 weeks for the car.........

For those with the green VAG cable - can I ask whether you got them from a VW or Audi dealer (or somewhere else)? Am reading conflicting info whether they work with the Skoda Octavia mitumi system or not.

Naturally, if anyone is able to provide a part number - that would be perfect......

Thanks in advance.....

I got my 30 pin lead with my car (some didn't) I have a iPhone 5c so I purchased the apple lightning to 30pin adaptor, it worked fine but I didn't get any album art work. Managed to get a mitsumi MDI lightning cable from ebay for £39 (Audi branded) and it works fine with album artwork, I find it makes my canton sound system sound a bit better too. My old lead and adaptor is on ebay at the moment.

For those with the green VAG cable - can I ask whether you got them from a VW or Audi dealer (or somewhere else)? Am reading conflicting info whether they work with the Skoda Octavia mitumi system or not.

Naturally, if anyone is able to provide a part number - that would be perfect......

Thanks in advance.....

I actually bought mine from eBay for £25 which looked to be a good price as there were others going for double that price.

I can get you a part number from tomorrow afternoon once my vRS is back from the detailers    :happy:

I actually bought mine from eBay for £25 which looked to be a good price as there were others going for double that price.

I can get you a part number from tomorrow afternoon once my vRS is back from the detailers    :happy:

That would be great - many thanks.

I've passed on the info regarding the VAG green cable to my dealer - he is kindly checking with the Parts Department, as "it is often the case in the VW Group that VW/Audi will get accessories first before they are released to Skoda and SEAT at a later date.

Thanks to everyone for all your help - much appreciated.

Calvus - theres a load of numbers on the socket so i've included everything..not sure which is the actual one you need, apologies!

5N0 035 554 F

0414 VVL VWAG

Hope this helps    :happy:

Calvus - theres a load of numbers on the socket so i've included everything..not sure which is the actual one you need, apologies!

5N0 035 554 F

0414 VVL VWAG

Hope this helps    :happy:

That's perfect - many thanks for your help.

I'll see if my dealer comes back with anything, and if not will use this to order a green lead from a local VW dealer.

Now - what else can I find to keep myself occupied until end-July........?!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a mk 3 VRS with columbus on 31st Dec 2013... love it... I ordered a Mitsumi and the dealer forgot about it.. so I got them to refund me the £100 and bought one of these from Amazon... £13.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BCIRL7Y/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one end goes in the USB socket in the car the other in my iPhone 5. Its only 15cm long so the phone sits nicely in the well. 

I get all the art work connected via bluetooth or as a USB device.

I'm getting the feeling that with the Columbus all you need is a standard apple USB lead for all functions? Seems to work for me anyway

This is correct, can't spec mitsumi with columbus as you don't need it.

• Like 1