seaweasel's Fabia 2.0 MPI

seaweasel

Christ that air filter looks like the Black Death... Not pretty... But don't worry too much it's not that bad, I've seen much worse. It will need replacing eventually but don't panic about it.

• Like 1

Christ that air filter looks like the Black Death... Not pretty... But don't worry too much it's not that bad, I've seen much worse. It will need replacing eventually but don't panic about it.

Cheers Tom. I might get a bunch of stuff from http://www.vwspares.co.uk at some point to give it a good service - they're a tenner shipping to NI but prices seem good and it's all the correct OEM parts.

• Like 1

Car looks nice, we had one a few years back and it was a lovely car.

Recommend a sports suspension kit and a RARB then it will corner like its on rails.

Thanks. I'm not a big fan of lowered cars generally but I think it would look better just a little lower (maybe 16" instead of 15" wheels) and better handling wouldn't hurt. Maybe once it's all fixed up and running properly!

First mod:

Stickered up

Also ordered service stuff - air, pollen, fuel and oil filters, spark plugs (all OEM spec from GSF Car Parts - 25% off just now), Castrol Edge 5w40 (managed to find it online for £33 delivered, might need to pick up another litre though).

And found this on eBay for a couple of quid:

!CDHGh2gCWk~$(KGrHqUOKiME0ovYh)+hBNNd6EM

May not be a whole lot of use to me but will fill the gaps in the Hayne's manual that doesn't cover the 2.0.

So I thought I'd try and get the last remaining fault code I had sorted - related to the purge valve for the fuel evap system. Don't know how I didn't notice before, but the valve was gone!

Missing purge valve!

With the help of some Briskodians, I managed to get the part number and found a new replacement on eBay for 20 quid (had been quoted 105 + VAT from a local motor factor).

New N80 Evap Purge Valve

Dead simple to install, just removed the bit of plastic piping then attached with some...CLAMPS!

85865.png

Removed the bit of wire shorting the connector pins (!) and used some insulating tape on the end of the connector to stop water ingress as the wires were a little exposed. Done!

Purge valve, installed!

Gave it a good run that afternoon and the CEL turned off after an hour or two, it's also starting without trouble and idle has improved. Still revving when changing gear, but from searches/replies on here, seems like that's probably the throttle pedal and/or throttle body, which I'll look into at some point.

Wheel bearing has been delayed a bit but hopefully will get that replaced soon. Also replaced the air filter and cabin/pollen filter, the latter of which was missing! With any luck that's the last bit of my car which has been removed!

Thought the next easiest filter to do after air would be fuel - looked like it hadn't been changed in a while!

Old fuel filter

Retaining screw was seriously rusty so I ended up trying to drill it out - ended up taking a chunk of plastic out so should probably replace the holder at some point. Got the old filter extracted eventually though and new Mann one installed (cable tied the holder together but seems secure enough).

Got a new throttle body gasket ordered from dealer as well.

Had the wheel bearing replaced tonight, sounds so quiet now that the annoying rumble has gone! Gave it a run and is feeling good to drive with that done and also the N80 valve and air/fuel filters replaced (on BP Ultimate as well).

Still spark plugs, oil change and MAF/throttle body/throttle pedal to clean (see if I can sort the rev on change problem finally). Want to try and do the oil and/or plugs tomorrow if I have time and a bit of help probably. Should get TB gasket on Monday.

• Like 1

Finally finished off the centre console (which had been in my boot for a week). Installed the cheap eBay 12v socket I bought to replace the rusty original - probably should have tracked down an OEM one, would have been easier (replacement's a little loose). There are a few holes and broken bits on the console part anyway (nothing that obvious) so will maybe replace the whole lot at some point. At least it's working though and have the gear knob relatively well secured again, so does the job for now.

New 12v installed

Also did my first oil change, feeling super manly!

Oil change in progress

Wasn't too bad actually - once I worked out where the oil filter was and how to remove the plastic engine tray, it wasn't too complicated (father-in-law has a good garage setup, so that helped). Just needed reminded that I had to run the engine for a minute after the first few litres to get the oil filter filled to finish topping it up.

For reference, it took bang on 4 litres, so didn't need the 1L bottle I bought (will keep for top-ups/emergencies). Used Castrol Edge 5w40 (502.00/505.00).

Spark plugs next weekend I think. Might clean the MAF/TB this week if I have time/motivation.

• Like 1

Had a look at the MAF - found that one of my security bits worked with the proprietary VAG screws (2 prong 6mm):

Screwdriver bit used for MAF

Had a look and the MAF sensor looked pretty clean, so just fitted it again (was going to try and clean the housing but was having trouble getting it off and presumably it's the sensor that's the important bit).

MAF removed

Managed to break the screwdriver bit putting one of the screws back in though! It's mostly there, enough to keep the sensor in place, should probably replace the screws at some point.

Hopefully will get TB and/or spark plugs done later.

• Like 1

Cleaned the throttle body at the weekend - wasn't bad from the intake side but at the manifold end it was pretty black.

Throttle Body - dirty

Used Finish Line citrus degreaser that I've had for years, worked well.

Throttle Body - clean

So I haven't noticed a massive difference, but with the recent service and missing N80 valve replaced, overall it's driving well - starting fine, feels quick (for me!). Idle still isn't quite settled (though not as bad), and I still have the rev on gear change issue, so think that points to the throttle pedal as I thought. Also, when I had the pedal down while cleaning the TB, it was twitching slightly in the open position which would make me think the problem's a faulty/dirty contact in the pedal assembly (not uncommon I gather from other threads).

Didn't seem to need an adaptation from VCDS (which I haven't been able to get working with my eBay cable yet anyway), though if things aren't quite right still after cleaning/replacing the pedal, will maybe get my local auto spark to do it if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed a Mustang in the Mustang Slayer yesterday, was going in the opposite direction however!

Going to try and look at the throttle pedal this weekend if I have time, hopefully the last thing needing done to get it running smoothly.

• Like 3

In the throttle pedal? From a few other threads I'd read on here, that's what I guessed. Will try taking it apart and giving the contacts a clean with IPA, and any moving bits a lube with some silicone spray (did have some lithium grease somewhere but don't what I've done with it).

Shall report back with results.

Quick once-over with a power washer to shift some bird befoulment (no fancy waxing today).

After a quick wash (front)

After a quick wash (rear)

Did some work on the throttle pedal, will post some photos and details once it's finished.

• Like 1

So, cleaning the throttle potentiometer. I shall prefix this rather long post by saying that it didn't fix my issue - still revs on gear change, more on that later - however at least I now know how to replace the throttle pedal if necessary, and I've taken some photos to help anyone else needing to do it.

I used this thread as a guide, which was very handy:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/46987-help-needed-lower-dash-removal-problem/

There are five T20 screws to come out, three along beside the two cubbies (found another open one beneath the steering column I didn't notice before), already removed here, other two are either side, fairly visible.

IMG 2163

Next, remove the cover for the fuses, you'll find another T20 at the top left.

IMG 2164

Last one is hidden away. There's a plastic section directly below the instrument cluster (right above the steering column) that can be removed by pulling it directly towards you. Should unclip quite easily. Wish I'd realised this when routing the mic for my Pioneer HU! You'll find the last T20 here.

IMG 2167

The lower dash section can now be loosened, however there are a few things that need disconnected before you remove it completely. First off, the headlight controls. Turn the dial to the sidelight position and push it inwards to release it from the dash. It can now be pulled out - I gave it a push from the rear now that the panel was detached.

IMG 2168

Then just detach the connectors.

IMG 2169

Next, the A/C pipe for cooling your favourite beverage can in the secret right hand cubby.

IMG 2170

Just pull this away, it should release quite easily.

IMG 2171

Last thing is the OBD socket. Found this to be a bit fiddly as the clips were quite stiff. Here's a photo from the rear, front and also after removal so you can see where they are.

IMG 2176

IMG 2178

IMG 2179

IMG 2181

Now your dash panel can be safely thrown in the back of the car for now. At this point you can also see your ECU and wiring loom connectors to verify whether your ECU is ready for a cruise control upgrade, as per Tech1e's post here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/178380-can-cruise-control-be-fitted-to-my-fabia/?hl=%2Bcruise+%2Bcontrol+%2Becu+%2Btype+%2Bfabia

Seems that I can, woo!

IMG 2182

Now it's time to remove the throttle pedal.

IMG 2184

There are three bolts, all 10mm and each more awkward to remove than the last.

IMG 2185

Lower left is easy enough.

IMG 2186

Other two, you might need a ratchet screwdriver with a socket adapter, or a socket ratchet with an extension as below.

IMG 2188

Last bolt is a sneeky one at the top right of the assembly right behind a bunch of cabling.

IMG 2190

Now that's unbolted, remove the connector.

IMG 2194

If you're just replacing the pedal assembly, that's you done, and obviously just reverse the procedure for fitting the new one. Cleaning details in next post.

Now have the exact part number of the throttle pedal (there are a few variants) - 6Q2721503G.

IMG 2195

Turns out you don't have to actually remove the potentiometer part from the pedal assembly to clean it, but didn't realise this until I had taken it apart, so there are a few more steps than required. There are four T6 screws that hold the potentiometer part in place, however these can also be used to change its position should your idle speed need adjustment.

IMG 2203

To access the internal parts, the plastic cover needs to be removed. There are a couple of black blobs of adhesive that need scraped off, and then you can use a penknife, screwdriver or iPod opening tool etc to pry it open.

IMG 2204

I used some IPA (isopropyl/rubbing alcohol) to clean the contacts.

IMG 2206

The cover clips back into place quite firmly, so I'm not sure more adhesive is required, however I applied a couple of blobs of hot glue.

As mentioned in my last post, it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference however - I still get the revs increasing when changing up quite quickly, especially in 2nd/3rd. Not so noticable at lower speeds and not a big problem, but our Octy doesn't do this and neither did my Passat, so would like to fix it.

Thinking now that it needs a replacement pedal, or a Throttle Body Alignment done, or both. Pedal seems to be not an uncommon fault from searches on here, though I also noted that my TB when cleaning wasn't dead centre at rest (a bit like the one in this guide):

http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/V2Images/ModsEngine/TBReset.htm

Endeavoring to get my generic OBD cable working with Windows XP on some device or other, and also have a couple of used pedals in my eBay watchlist (have contacted sellers to see about shipping since pretty much every breaker I've seen selling on eBay is awkward about posting to NI, at least in their listing!).

• 3 weeks later...

Have been trying to do something or other to the car every weekend, bit less productive the last couple of weeks though. Removed one of the foglights to see about cleaning it out, but turned out that some of the reflecty stuff had worn off them. They're also pretty well sealed, so could do with being replaced at some point.

Foglight

Not catastrophic (they still work), but now on the list of things to replace. Seen a few on eBay from Poland for £35-40.

Also tried to sort my breezy driver's door - slightly better after adjusting the clamp the lock connects to, but not completely gone (bit of a noise above around 65 mph). Door doesn't seem quite as flush when closed as the passenger side I noticed.

Lastly, re-secured the exhaust heat shield - got some clips from eBay the other week but they didn't stay in place on their own, some cable ties helped though.

Need to order a throttle pedal when I get paid!

• 2 weeks later...

Got aircon recharged today. Was a bit wary of Kwik-Fit (was booked in for Tue, machine was broken, they didn't bother telling anyone who'd booked) but got a good deal at just under £40 and turned out fine. No leaks detected, running cold - on the most dreich day of the summer! Needed done though, and handy for clearing windscreen in wet weather too.

Was hoping replacement eBay throttle pedal would have arrived today, no dice. Monday hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Replaced my pedal the other weekend, however it didn't fix the issue, so TBA is next on the list to do.

Did get my centre vents fixed this weekend though - I'd taken the fascia out ages ago to help fit my Pioneer unit and it sat in a drawer for months. Managed to get the actualy vents out (they stayed stubbornly in place when the front was removed) and I got my head round how they worked. Only one flap had a broken pin, so I managed to fix this, clean and lube anything moving with lithium grease, and fit it all back together.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Have been busy with non-car related things the last few months so not been doing much with the Fabia or been on here much until recently. Finally got my TB alignment done, and hasn't fixed my throttle problem! When I say problem, it's not a big deal so not urgent, but obviously must be something else.

In the last while there's been some ying/yang-like things going on - just as I was looking at replacing the front door woofers, the driver's side one has spontaneously started working again. Also, my passenger side heated seat has stopped working to SWMBO's disappointment. Won't need it as much now with temperatures picking up, but would like it sorted. Might also be an excuse to fix the stitching in the seat cover, or even replace the horrible pattern with something nicer.

On a whim I fitted some LED number plate lights - super bright! Maybe a bit much but I like the whiteness. Just ordered some LED bulbs for the sidelights too.

Finally got Autoglass round to replace the windscreen (crack in corner) and the chap found that it was actually caused by the bonnet being out of alignment - hinges seem a bit wobbly and there's a bit of a kink at each corner. Surprised I didn't notice before. He advised getting it sorted as it was likely it could just damage the glass again otherwise, so will get the family mechanic to have a look (have a couple of photos which I'll stick up).

I was considering doing a respray of the bonnet anyway as there are a ton of paint chips (ordered a Paints4U kit to tidy up some scratches on the body and get a bit of practice before I attempt the same on the Octy). Not sure if it's panel, hinges or both needed at this stage.

Photos of my wacky glass hungry bonnet:

IMG 2542

IMG 2540

IMG 2545

IMG 2544

IMG 2543

Picked up some Autoglym bumper gel to replace the Mer stuff I used to have (now discontinued, and the various sprays I've bought aren't much good). Tested it out on the rear bumper strip and works really well, also now have black doorhandles instead of the horrible shiny grey they used to be. Will give all the plastic a going over next time it gets a wash.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd keep an eye out for some vRS alloys before I replaced the tyres on my 15s, then fate forced my hand somewhat. Caught a kerb today and happened to get a flat right outside the local tyre place (turned out I took a chunk out the sidewall), so ended up getting four new corners (all needing done anyway, especially the front). Ended up going for a random brand but weren't dear (£48 each) and they seem decent enough (C wet grip).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

MOT time, will shortly be getting a service - going to skip the fuel filter and plugs as they were done last year and hasn't done a massive amount of miles since last year (hit 100k a while back, think I'm on 103 now). Planning on changing brake fluid - handbrake isn't great and no idea when it was last done (pads last year just). If I've time and the help, wouldn't mind painting the calipers (probably green, or red maybe?).

Couple of noises to investigate - possibly the front right downlink and maybe a bit of an exhaust hole to weld (not by me!).

In other news, I am an idiot and the same speaker is still broken, I'd just forgotten it was the passenger side. On the list at some point.