Tyres 205 45 16

I need new tyres for my Fabia , the originals were continental which lasted for 20,000 miles but I replaced them with Nexen 6000's which have not lasted and are worn on the outside edge badly and have only covered 5000 miles even though the tracking is Ok .

Suggestion please for a reasonably priced mid range tyre that will last a bit longer .

Best get your Tracking / alignment correctly adjusted before getting new tyres fitted,

because if your tyre pressures were correct,

something is not right if the outer edges are worn badly in 5,000 miles.

No matter what tyres were on.

Outer Edge of tyres worn, normally,  'Camber Wear',

Mis-Alignment, worn strut mounts, bent suspension, strut etc, something not right.

• Like 1

Best get your Tracking / alignment correctly adjusted before getting new tyres fitted,

because if your tyre pressures were correct,

something is not right if the outer edges are worn badly in 5,000 miles.

No matter what tyres were on.

Outer Edge of tyres worn, normally,  'Camber Wear',

Mis-Alignment, worn strut mounts, bent suspension, strut etc, something not right.

The tracking is Ok Skoda checked it and Kwikfit , the car has only covered 25,000 miles from new .

the original tyres lasted well and because I was a bit strapped for cash I put cheap and cheerfull  Nexen's on

which although still legal there noticeably wearing on the outside N/S front  I put it down to the heavy 1.9 diesel in a small car and the power stearing

Edited by stevensmith91

Skoda & Kwikfit,   

Best get the alignment checked then, maybe use Trained Professionals to check the Suspension

& alignment.

You have a heavy diesel, so Suspension Wear possible, Top Mounts or the likes might be the reason for the wear of the tyres.

(About the same front weight of a 1.4tsi with DSG)

http://wheel-alignment-manchester.co.uk/services.asp

• Like 1

Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s would be my recommendation. Available in your size for around 80-90 pounds a corner and excellent in every area but especially wet grip and noise. I've had them on the front of my 1.9 TDi for about 2000 miles now and they are much better than the bridgestone Turanzas and uniroyal Rainsport 2s that preceded them.

• Like 1

Skoda & Kwikfit,   

Best get the alignment checked then, maybe use Trained Professionals to check the Suspension

& alignment.

You have a heavy diesel, so Suspension Wear possible, Top Mounts or the likes might be the reason for the wear of the tyres.

(About the same front weight of a 1.4tsi with DSG)

http://wheel-alignment-manchester.co.uk/services.asp

Another possibility is worn lower arm rear bushes. This was the cause of uneven wear on my front tyres. Got them replaced with the newer design VAG bushes and all looking good with nice even wear so far. Get the lower arm bushes checked out.

Another possibility is worn lower arm rear bushes. This was the cause of uneven wear on my front tyres. Got them replaced with the newer design VAG bushes and all looking good with nice even wear so far. Get the lower arm bushes checked out.

The car has only covered 25,000 miles  , we bought it brand new in 2010

surely there will not be problem with the suspension

There could be, and it needs checked to see.

Different locations, use, road types, speed bump areas ect can tell on the suspension components.

(You thought a heavy diesel & power steering was the cause for tyre wear,

more likely to have wear on Suspension components.)

When (& at what mileage) did Skoda & Kwikfit check the Tracking and why?

Did they just check, or make adjustments.?

There could be, and it needs checked to see.

Different locations, use, road types, speed bump areas ect can tell on the suspension components.

(You thought a heavy diesel & power steering was the cause for tyre wear,

more likely to have wear on Suspension components.)

When (& at what mileage) did Skoda & Kwikfit check the Tracking and why?

Did they just check, or make adjustments.?

checked at 24,000 approx skoda could find nothing wrong and kwit fit said allignment ok .

TBH this car has cost me a lot in recent service including cambelt change ,tensioners ,water pump and MOT and consiering its a second car its not been that good .

I won't buy any VW product again as this little car is nearly as much as to run and service as My main car being a Honda .

Think its time to buy a new Honda Jazz as there far cheaper to run what with servicing cost and tyres

checked at 24,000 approx skoda could find nothing wrong and kwit fit said allignment ok .

TBH this car has cost me a lot in recent service including cambelt change ,tensioners ,water pump and MOT and consiering its a second car its not been that good .

I won't buy any VW product again as this little car is nearly as much as to run and service as My main car being a Honda .

Think its time to buy a new Honda Jazz as there far cheaper to run what with servicing cost and tyres

Yes, the cambelt change is an expensive hit on top of an annual service but it only needs to be done every 5 years. It's essential that cambelts are replaced at the specified intervals, especially with TDi engines. Cambelts should be regarded as consumable items on every car that has them fitted (that's most cars). The rapid wear of lower arm rear bushes on the front suspension is a well known problem across a range of VAG models and has been sorted with an improved bush design. I suspect that changing both front lower arm rear bushes will sort your tyre wear problem.

Turbodiesels do tend to incur slightly higher servicing costs than most petrol engines but this is offset by the better economy (although you do have to be doing annual mileages of 15k or higher to reap this benefit) and the higher mileages that the engines are capable of (an important attribute for a long-term keeper). The 1.9 PD has an excellent reliability and durability record and there are thousands of 1.9 TDis out there that have done well over 250 thousand miles. Also consider that this engine lacks a DPF - not great for the environment but good for elimination a source of trouble that has plagued many owners of more modern diesel cars.

In my experience the Fabia 1.9 TDi IS a cheap car to run (mine has had no issues in 6 years and apart from the front lower arm rear bushes has only needed tyres, regular services and a cambelt change) and offers a great package of reliability, practicality, comfort and economy. I expect it to run on without any serious issues for many years if the record of older 1.9 TDis is anything to go by. Let's just say that if you intend to trade yours for a Jazz in then I guarantee it will be snapped up very quickly.

205/45 16 is the same size as the Mk1 Fabia vRS, and there are plenty of threads in Fabia I section.

The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2s gets very good reviews and does very well in tyre tests. If you want a cheaper alternative I'd suggest Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. As the name suggests they are very good in the rain and are liked by most Fabia owners.