Help needed finding Fuel pump relays

Car started then stopped the other day ......got fuel pump relay (J17) open or short to ground fault code. Been looking to find locations for the fuel pump relay. Seems that they are in two locations. One in the engine bay and one under the drivers side dashboard.

Tried ordeing from GSF , using my reg number. They were the incorrect ones. Now I'm confused. Tried finding diagrams or pictures show where the fuses are. No luck. Tried looking on this forum ...again no luck. A relay change should be a two minute job on a modren car. For some reason the locations for the these on a skoda octavia 1Z pre-fl 2.0 vrs ...are like chickens teeth. Does anyone have either a proper location diagrams or pictures showing this/these relays so i can confirm what i'm looking at ?

Thanks.

That's what i though , but that is one of the relays under that dash ........that seems to be a power relay, or a fuel relay .....hence my confusion. The best i have been able to find is relay no 167 ...grey in colour in the engine bay. So ordered that one from skoda to see if it's the right one. Looks like i'm on a mission ...will try and post pics and info if i get it sorted.

Thanks for that , but my under instrument layout looks completely different .....although it does have a pair of  (404 ) relays. chnaged the one in the engine bay. Thats not it. Process of deduction goes on. :S

Well replaced the the (404) relays with the updated relays from skoda. Still no joy. Car won't start still getting J17 relay open circuit.

CAM00376.jpg

Now unsure where to go next. Here is a picture of my relay board under the steering wheel.

Wow how hard can it be to confirm a relay location? Trying to find a proper relay diagram with labels seems like finding chickens teeth. This is the first time in nearly 25 years of sorting out little problems ....that's so frustrating. Well looks like i'll have to find a haynes manual ....oh my gosh in this day and age, would you believe it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Did anyone find out the location of the fuel relay yet ?? I have a 2008 vw caddy 1.6 petrol, my relay panel looks the same as Im gouki's relay panel on his TFSI 2.0.

Is there anyone out there with a little help please!

• 2 months later...

Had problem with car starting recently, Been scouring the internet all of today and yesterday couldn't find much, But then i decided to search the 646 Relay on eBay and it came up with 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Number-646-Fuel-Pump-Relay-5-PIN-4H0-951-253-C-/361009273046?hash=item540dd458d6:g:T~0AAOxycmBS1qR5 

Which indicated in its title "646 Fuel Pump Relay 5 PIN | 4H0 951 253 C" So I'm guessing this could be the one! Just ordered a couple of them If all goes well I'll let you all know. 

646 is located underneath the Steering wheel which is accessible by removing I believe 4 Screws, ( Be careful when try to remove as you will need to remove the two small facial plates either side of the steering wheel to uncover 2 Screws. I'll try and upload some pictures to make it easier for users if I get time. )

P.s I know it's an old post but thought i'd try and shed some light for users who may come across this problem in the future.

Edited by RalphKlement
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

BKD 2.0 MK2 Octavia diesel.

IMG_20170925_190104.thumb.jpg.10d1601c45c40a0f5cc286dd73ea2ae3.jpg

At the very top of the image, left hand side. I believe is the fuel pick up relay. I removed it and the pump stopped. "449"

Don't know if it's any different to others.

Edited by Volf

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 26/09/2017 at 09:21, Volf said:

BKD 2.0 MK2 Octavia diesel.

IMG_20170925_190104.thumb.jpg.10d1601c45c40a0f5cc286dd73ea2ae3.jpg

At the very top of the image, left hand side. I believe is the fuel pick up relay. I removed it and the pump stopped. "449"

Don't know if it's any different to others.

2.0 petrol is relay in same place can find it anywhere many thanks

• 2 years later...

just in case someone still needs the answer: 

for right hand drive ( as it is in my case ) is under the steering wheel compartment and it is the second relay from left to right on the top row marked with red circle in the foto. On left hand drive might be the other way around meaning the 4th relay from left to right. On my car the relay was good but the actual socket was not . Sorted it with a u shaoed paper clip in socked 30 and 87 until i managed to fix the actual socket. One if the wires was loose at the back. 
hope this helps someone 

E411FAE5-8394-4500-8D5B-9FED7CB8F447.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2022 at 16:32, Altf917 said:

just in case someone still needs the answer: 

for right hand drive ( as it is in my case ) is under the steering wheel compartment and it is the second relay from left to right on the top row marked with red circle in the foto. On left hand drive might be the other way around meaning the 4th relay from left to right. On my car the relay was good but the actual socket was not . Sorted it with a u shaoed paper clip in socked 30 and 87 until i managed to fix the actual socket. One if the wires was loose at the back. 
hope this helps someone 

E411FAE5-8394-4500-8D5B-9FED7CB8F447.jpeg

What did you mean by ...."paper clip in 'socked 30 and 87'".....thanks

Hi u can use a regular paper clip ( looks like the one shown bellow where it says attached files for me it worked like a charm. But please note that it is just a temporary possible solution and i can not guarantee 100% it will work for someone else or i do not want to be blamed for any issues it may cause. I just thou It might help someone. Hope you get it sorted thank you

9974528B-7FF5-451B-8CD5-4946C9DF2EA2.jpeg

3 hours ago, Altf917 said:

Hi u can use a regular paper clip ( looks like the one shown bellow where it says attached files for me it worked like a charm. But please note that it is just a temporary possible solution and i can not guarantee 100% it will work for someone else or i do not want to be blamed for any issues it may cause. I just thou It might help someone. Hope you get it sorted thank you

9974528B-7FF5-451B-8CD5-4946C9DF2EA2.jpeg

Thanks but....I wasn't clear with my question....I meant what was socket 30 and 87? My relays under the steering column in my right hand drive are different to any other photos I can find so I'm all over the place trying to verify which is the relay for my 2011 1.6tdi.

IMG_5402.jpeg

16 minutes ago, mydadscar said:

Thanks but....I wasn't clear with my question....I meant what was socket 30 and 87? My relays under the steering column in my right hand drive are different to any other photos I can find so I'm all over the place trying to verify which is the relay for my 2011 1.6tdi.

IMG_5402.jpeg

Relays.png.91a6a4600e7aed8f342fb3e9cbdb7fb7.png

• Like 1

Ok mine had problems with the relay for the fuel pump . I see your one is the small relay nr4 . After i done the paperclip thing i went to skoda dealership and I paid £2 for one of those original one from them. Is worth getting a couple of them just in case. 
but again please check and double

check to make sure that is the one . And DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before you mess around with them. 
nr 87 was one under the hood next to the battery on that fuse board . I had an issue with the relay there ticking very fast because it was bad that is why i mentioned it as well, so no need to touch that if yours is fine. 
i sold the car a month ago not because of these issue but because i upgraded to a 4x4. 
i do hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

Ongoing problem still……I have uncovered the relays (as previously pictured) under the steering column. I’ve checked all the relays are firmly seated. Since the AA came (and the car started for him!) the car has started up okay. This morning it wouldn’t start so I checked relays again and it still wouldn’t start. I then (ignition off) tried to find any loose wires going into the rear of the relay system and the car started. Now to wait until the car won’t go and repeat that particular move.

Meanwhile the ‘chimes’ when unlocking still sound off, between 5 and 8 seconds…maybe an indicator of something wrong?

The car is booked for the garage next week when I’m told an auto electrician with a full diagnostic programme that can trace when and why the car has failed to start will be attending.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mydadscar said:

Ongoing problem still……I have uncovered the relays (as previously pictured) under the steering column. I’ve checked all the relays are firmly seated. Since the AA came (and the car started for him!) the car has started up okay. This morning it wouldn’t start so I checked relays again and it still wouldn’t start. I then (ignition off) tried to find any loose wires going into the rear of the relay system and the car started. Now to wait until the car won’t go and repeat that particular move.

Meanwhile the ‘chimes’ when unlocking still sound off, between 5 and 8 seconds…maybe an indicator of something wrong?

The car is booked for the garage next week when I’m told an auto electrician with a full diagnostic programme that can trace when and why the car has failed to start will be attending.

1 hour ago, Altf917 said:

Just replace the 2 small relays with new original ones they are £2 each from skoda. Try simple cheap possible fix first.  U never know 

The fuely relay has just been changed....£2 each, not so sure about that from Skoda? Do you mean Relay or Fuse?