Bolero radio and my TomTom iPhone app

mp1963

I have recently take possession of a 2014 Yeti 1.9 4x4 DSG .. lovely car :-) Am getting to grips with all its functionality and one thing that is eluding me is how to persuade my TomTom app on my iPhone to output voice instructions through the Bolero radio. Mobile phone works perfectly... Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer any advice ?

I am not sure about the TomTom on an iPhone but on my Android Moto G my TomTom app it works like this.

Moto G connects to BT, All mobile sounds are now routed through the BT connection, so if you are listening to the radio or other media you will not hear the TomTom app until you select the BT source in the Bolero, then you will hear it OK but you will not here your music/radio.

Which engine do you have in your yeti? Is it an import from another country/continent as only the 2.0CTDi are here in the UK

Edited by Zeanie

As above you would need to be in Bluetooth media mode. So you could play music off your phone over bluetooth and tomtom would interrupt the music to play the instructions.

As above though... there is no such thing as a Yeti with a 1.9 engine! It's either a 1.6 or 2.0 diesel.

Phil

I know I'm in danger of being flamed here but doesn't this sound a bit discordant?

Fred

That doesn't even make any sense given the context of the OP and replies.

Ah .. mea culpa .. being a simpleton and forgetting to round up (who wouldn't eh?) .. V5 says it has a 1968CC engine.. so will revise my Profile forthwith ..

• Like 1

Ah .. mea culpa .. being a simpleton and forgetting to round up (who wouldn't eh?) .. V5 says it has a 1968CC engine.. so will revise my Profile forthwith ..

Hehe. Yeah it's technically 1.968 litre but Skoda call it a 2.0 litre.

Just like the so called 1.9 litre is actually 1.896 litre.

All manufacturers round the capacity up for the purpose of the brochure.

Phil

...discordant...

...That doesn't even make any sense given the context of the OP and replies.

This is an OT reference that would make sense to a large proportion (at least) of the regular Yeti membership.  See first (and pinned) item on the forum menu. 

Right, now that we seem to have sorted out the vagaries of engine sizing (which I really never imagined would be of importance when the question is regarding Bluetooth!), can I just thank Phil-E for confirming my suspicions about how things work. I will now take this relatively trivial software issue up with Skoda as its all a bit daft.

What software issue?

Are you using "media mode" when you link? Does everything else work normally from you iphone?

Haven't there been previous reports of the actual problem being the phone, not the car?

I think you misunderstand me .. I should have called it a functionality issue .. the way it works currently is illogical and can be easily fixed by Skoda programmers .. 

As above you would need to be in Bluetooth media mode. So you could play music off your phone over bluetooth and tomtom would interrupt the music to play the instructions.

But you have to be playing music from the phone for the "BT Audio" button to light in the first place.  At least, that's the way it is on my Bolero.  Not much use if all you want is the voice directions eg from Google navigation.  I've tried making a very quiet recording and having that playing in a loop but the Bolero doesn't register it.

The way I'd like it to work is for bluetooth audio to just override whatever else is playing.  This must be technically possible, since an incoming phone call will do precisely that - but as it stands at the moment only a phone call can do it, not any other transitory audio source.  I'd also like to be able to select bluetooth as the audio source at any time (ie even when the phone isn't actually playing anything) so that I am not required to have noise of some kind going on in the background all the time if I don't want it.

I tend to agree with mp1963: the current implementation is functionally very poor.  I wouldn't hold out any great hope of Skoda springing in to action to amend it, though.  And even if they did, UK Skoda dealer's track record in being able to provide firmware updates for the Bolero seems pretty abysmal.  Search on here for threads about the SD card scanning speed for numerous stories of how Skoda's maintenance systems and unhelpful Skoda dealers combine to make the update that fixes that problem nigh-on unobtainable.  My local dealer flat out told me that the firmware upgrade did not exist.  Obviously the lucky few people on Briskoda who said that they had managed to get it installed must have been either hallucinating or lying.  It couldn't possibly, Mr Dealer, be that you're the one who doesn't know what he's talking about, now could it?

And breathe...

Edited by ejstubbs

I find that with perseverance almost anything can be done. I don't plan on tackling Skoda UK about this. Being Czech I will communicate directly with head office in Mlada Boleslav in their native language. I will keep you updated with all and any progress.

As far as the UK dealers are concerned, it has been my experience that none of the UK dealers actually give two hoots about their customers once they have your money .. they might make all the right noises but when push comes to shove you very quickly learn how unimportant you, the customer, actually is. 

So far Trust Skoda, my local dealer in Wolverhampton, have performed adequately but displayed, at times, an inflexibility that is breathtaking...

My TomTom issue has finally been resolved by installing 'BlueDUN Bluetooth' from the play store of my updated S3.....very strange as my now dead S3 didn't need another app to connect.

mp1963 it may be your Tom Tom app rather than the iPhone or Skoda.

I am able to connect the iPhone but I use Navigon instead of Tom Tom.

But....I do have to connect using Bluetooth by firstly using the iPod to play a track. Once connected I pause the song.

Now the satnav will connect and announcements come through the car speakers. 

The Navigon app will let me carry on listening to the music and will mute it out when an announcement is made.

It also allows incoming calls to override the sound of the satnav.

So to re-cap....

Play a tune on iPod

Connect with bluetooth by pressing Media button

Pause the track

Open satnav app

Listen to directions and start driving.

:sun:   

I persisted through TomTom 'discussions' section and finally resolved......for my S3 update it was resolved by buying through the App Store 'BlueDUN Bluetooth' ....Instant success!

All is well with the TomTom at least.