Loan rapid

My car is In the dealers for 2 days while they fix my bumper they scratched at the last service.

Well been lent a 1.6 tdi elegance Rapid and must say very impressed only down side is stearing is to light and lacks feed back and some plastics are hard and cheap. But drives well and no boom from the boot, less road noise, no trim rattles, and much softer ride ( as I find the Octavia just to firm at times) but on the whole not as well finished as an Octavia or as well equipped and handles worse. but the suspension is so much more comfortable around town and much quieter in general. Also car seems to be screwed together better, be it with cheap and nasty plastics.

Hi Markmi

Wonder if they have done anything to fix Rapid "boot boom" ?

If yes wonder what fix is?

How recent a model is it?

Have you tried it over antiskid road surface i.e.as seen typically at roundabouts/corners/juncteions etc?

Bidey fae Perth

Bidey, newer Rapids have different shock absorbers and improved sound insulation, either one of those may have helped I guess. Don't know when yours was built?

Markmi, interesting you found the ride smoother than the Octavia - it was one of the things the Rapid was widely criticised for! ..although as I just said they did change the shock absorbers last year to help with that.

I think calling the Rapid plastics 'cheap and nasty' is a bit harsh. They are hard yes, but they are mostly nicely textured and solid feeling. Go and have a look at the new Peugeot 208, that's very van-like in terms of the plastics, bar the one thin squidgy bit across the centre of the dash.

Hi Markmi

Wonder if they have done anything to fix Rapid "boot boom" ?

If yes wonder what fix is?

How recent a model is it?

Have you tried it over antiskid road surface i.e.as seen typically at roundabouts/corners/juncteions etc?

Bidey fae Perth

Seems good on all roads , car is a 14 plate and only done 1000 miles.

Bidey, newer Rapids have different shock absorbers and improved sound insulation, either one of those may have helped I guess. Don't know when yours was built?

Markmi, interesting you found the ride smoother than the Octavia - it was one of the things the Rapid was widely criticised for! ..although as I just said they did change the shock absorbers last year to help with that.

I think calling the Rapid plastics 'cheap and nasty' is a bit harsh. They are hard yes, but they are mostly nicely textured and solid feeling. Go and have a look at the new Peugeot 208, that's very van-like in terms of the plastics, bar the one thin squidgy bit across the centre of the dash.

Sorry didn't mean to offend about the plastics, they just seem a bit low rent after being used to an octave 3 elegance.

If you think the ride is poor try an Octavia 3 is so hard and crashes over bumps. But the Octavia does handle much better, falter and feels so much more planted and solid.

If you think the ride is poor try an Octavia 3 is so hard and crashes over bumps. But the Octavia does handle much better, falter and feels so much more planted and solid.

I have an "old" Rapid, pre-suspension changes, it's certainly quite stiffly sprung but not uncomfortably so. Guess the Octy would feel more planted, being wider and a bit heavier too.

I accept the interior materials aren't as good as Octy3, still wouldn't call it cheap and nasty though :) 

Hi Rapid Ronnie,

Where did you get your info that the "newer Rapids have different shock absorbers and improved sound insulation"

Any idea what the actual insulation changes are?

The shock absorbers were changed at the time the Spaceback was introduced, same as the insulation. I don't know whether that was insulation from the engine bay though or underbody insulation I'm afraid.