Avon ZV5

kash123

Hi,

I need two new tyres for my MK1 Fabia VRS, I dont want to be spending mega money on rubber, so I was wondering will the Avon ZV5's be any good as they are resonably priced.

Thanks in advance.

A mate of mine once bought Avons (H rated, for a car capable of 110mph), which developed sidewall cracks after abuot 500 miles. Avon's initial response to his complaint was "you're driving too fast". Enough said?

I've been using those for the past few years on my Octavia and find them good for the money. I was doing about 60 miles a day so I'm now on my 3rd set, which should last a while longer as I only do about 10 miles a day now.

Forgot to say, I use the V rated ones and for £50 a piece I don't think they can be beaten but I do have a limited slip diff on my Octavia so that pulls it round the corners better than your standard cars and traction is brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

A mate of mine once bought Avons (H rated, for a car capable of 110mph), which developed sidewall cracks after abuot 500 miles. Avon's initial response to his complaint was "you're driving too fast". Enough said?

Had the ZV5 on a Corsa a few years back and they seemed better than the Conti's they replaced, although they were rubbish in snow. More recently I had a set of their winters for our Fabia but like the quoted post the sidewalls started to crack after two months of use. However we found Avon very helpful and they arranged for the tyres to go back to the factory via the local ATS and a refund from the supplier mytyres.

Replaced the Avons with Uniroyal winters and they appear to be a very good tyre.

TP

Had the ZV5 on a Corsa a few years back and they seemed better than the Conti's they replaced, although they were rubbish in snow. More recently I had a set of their winters for our Fabia but like the quoted post the sidewalls started to crack after two months of use. However we found Avon very helpful and they arranged for the tyres to go back to the factory via the local ATS and a refund from the supplier mytyres.

Replaced the Avons with Uniroyal winters and they appear to be a very good tyre.

TP

Ok, Avon seem to have improved their customer service, but I'm more concerned about the quality control issue that our posts highlight.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure where you got that from!?

Did you read it, or are you just wasting bandwidth and insulting me?

Yeah I read it, and no I'm not insulting anyone. Just not sure where you got your info from as A.) it's wrong..... And B.) Whoever fitted the wrong speed rated tyres to your mates car is a cowboy if that's the case.

Edited by stumpy90

Yeah I read it, and no I'm not insulting anyone. Just not sure where you got your info from as A.) it's wrong..... And B.) Whoever fitted the wrong speed rated tyres to your mates car is a cowboy if that's the case.

Reported to Mods.

Oh dear.... How sad.

In answer to your question, yes the Avons are a very good option if money is a factor in your decision. I've been involved in tyres for over 18 years now and deal with them very regularly. I've hardly heard a bad word about them.

FYI, h rated tyres are rated up to approx 130MPH so you would do very well to drive over that. And if you can, you certainly wouldn't be driving a car that has h rated tyres made for the size you have fitted.

Go for them.