Cruise control stopped working

Morning All,

Hope this is the right place for this, I've had a quick scan over and haven't found something exactly like this so here goes...

In a nutshell, the factory fitted cruise control on my fabia has stopped without warning, came as a bit of a surprise on the way up the M6 after getting comfy for a long trip.

I've got access to vagcom/vcds and have had a quick look and not really knowing what the results should be on a working model, this is what I've found:

BP Up - CC Switch on
----------------------
Brake Pedal
F/F47/F36
1/0  /0

Cruise System 1.0

BP Up - CC Switch off
----------------------
Brake Pedal
F/F47/F36
1/0  /0

Cruise System 0.0

BP Pressed - CC Switch on
----------------------
Brake Pedal
F/F47/F36
1/1  /1

Cruise System 17.0

BP Pressed - CC Switch off
----------------------
Brake Pedal
F/F47/F36
1/1  /1

Cruise System 0.0

Pressing the clutch doesn't seem to change any values.

Figured if it was something simple I'd dig out a manual and try to fix it myself, I've heard that the switches in the pedals sometimes go, but I'd rather not go blindly replacing parts without knowing at least the basics.

I'm open to any ideas, gotta learn this stuff at some point  :D

Thanks

dmz

Bit more investigation yielded that it's looking like the clutch switch that's gone.

VCDS measuring blocks group 6 didn't yield the normal bin dump in field 3 (was a %age instead)

Looking thru the blocks, and a bit of label file tinkering, block 22 yielded the right array of switch settings to see what switch was dodgy.

On the assumption that the active bit didn't change on pressing the pedal, but shorting the 2 pins yielded a change, it's a fair guess.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

yep, either brake or clutch switch would have been my guess

surprised you don't have issues starting it if the clutch switch playing up? as if like my fabia you have to push the clutch down to start it

curiosity can you start it without pushing the clutch down? i.e. the switch has failed so the ECU thinks the clutch is down all the time?

It's an 08 reg 1.9 BSW, so no maxidot.

Interestingly no fault codes..

I've had the switch in bits and there is a little bit of copper strip that's snapped off what closes the circuit.

Going to local dealers tomorrow to see if they got a spare, car starts fine without it, since from looks of it it was reading clutch as permanently disengaged/down.

Afaik, since it's not an auto it has no other effect other than to disengsge CC. (if that's wrong let me know, it's just a calculated guess).

Right, final update then :)

Just fitted new clutch switch, like a muppet didn't take the lower dash off, so was playing contortionist... Came out easy enough but getting new one back in was fun.

New revision switch looks a lot more substantial which is good.

All checks out OK on vcds, cruise control back working again, and there is no longer the stutter as I lift off the throttle. Job done!

Thanks for those who commented, the input is appreciated :)

Edited by dmz
  • Like 1