1.2 TSI Chain Rattle?

Hi, 

Just wondered if anyone knew if this sounds like the TSI chain rattle? I've had this noise for a while now but its getting progressively more obvious and more of the time sounds like a diesel some days. Also seems to be not running right sometimes almost like a misfire but no lights have appeared and still drives ok. Car going in for DSG service campain in June so want to get it checked out at same time. Sorry second video is a bit quiet. 

th_MOV_0037_zps89388373.jpg

th_MOV_0030_zps483fdf38.jpg

Thanks in advance 

David 

Is this noise not the fuel injectors? I may be wrong but I read somewhere before its something to do with the fuel injectors or something. My Monte sounds similar to be honest. 

Had mine checked by Horton's Skoda in Lincoln 12 months back. They said it was fine. Apparently there are 2 fuel pumps which contribute to this noise.

There have been lots of threads and much on You tube about this. It appears to be a cheerful characteristic of this engine. ;)

Thanks for the replys :), maybe I've just noticed it more recently due to the running issues. Wonder if it could be coil pack failing. Will have to see what develops. 

David 

My Octavia vRS 2.0 TSi makes this exact noise and it's been at Skoda twice who say they can't hear anything. Seemingly it's normal on the TSi engines but i personaly think it sounds terrible, especially when it sounds like a diesel on start up.

Not the chain rattle noise which our previous 2010 TSI suffered from and as others have said it sounds normal to me.

Oh as a side note I got chatting with a chap yesterday, as he noticed me pull up in the same Horton loan car he had while his 2011 Fabia TSI 105 had a new engine fitted. Apparently the chain tensioner failed resulting in a trashed engine but thankfully under warranty.

In our case the loan car is down to gremlins in the Octy III's electrics, which sadly appear to be breeding now the summer is approaching :S

The loan car is a Citygo, the first I've driven and to be honest I'm not that impressed with it bar the economy, Fabia II is better I feel.

TP

• Like 1

Yeah that's why I'm worried its a 2010 105 tsi original chain and tensioner as far as I know. Sounds like its normal though so must be something else causing the ocassional rough running just can't quite put my finger on whats causing it, hopefully Skoda will have a good poke around when it goes in. 

What issues you having with the Octavia TP? Know I've had the occasional electric gremlin on the fabia mainly electric windows the passenger rear one not working at all but then take key out and restart and its fine done it since new and is very random maybe once every 8 months. Also pressing and holding unlock button to open the windows may as well have a crystal ball for the amount of times they actually go down yet pressing the lock button they all go up every time. 

David 

Edited by Fabia00

Yeah that's why I'm worried its a 2010 105 tsi original chain and tensioner as far as I know. Sounds like its normal though so must be something else causing the ocassional rough running just can't quite put my finger on whats causing it, hopefully Skoda will have a good poke around when it goes in. 

What issues you having with the Octavia TP? Know I've had the occasional electric gremlin on the fabia mainly electric windows the passenger rear one not working at all but then take key out and restart and its fine done it since new and is very random maybe once every 8 months. Also pressing and holding unlock button to open the windows may as well have a crystal ball for the amount of times they actually go down yet pressing the lock button they all go up every time. 

David 

Hi David,

apologies on the delayed reply, been away.

Issues have involed the maxidot and infomat changing disply without input from the driver, media system not remembering settings and stop start plus ingnition problems.

Picked the car up today having left it with the dealer for the week and they have updated the airbag ECU software to hopfully fix the stop start issue and replaced the wiper stalk, which has the maxidot control switch to fix the display problems. However they could not get the media system to fault while they had it and there were no error codes either.

TP

After hearing from a friend that had the timing chain stretch on his Leon 1.2TSI, he was mainly complaining about a rattling noise initially at cold start-up, then months later it kind of stayed noisy enough all the time for Seat to diagnose a stretched chain, newer stronger chain now fitted along with new tensioner and damper assembly, and of course an oil change as the bits of damper end up in the oil it seems. All done FOC with car a few months outside warranty and with full Seat service history. For your peace of mind you should contact Skoda UK to see if that car has already had this upgrade, they must hold records of this sort of re-work.

Hi David,

apologies on the delayed reply, been away.

Issues have involed the maxidot and infomat changing disply without input from the driver, media system not remembering settings and stop start plus ingnition problems.

Picked the car up today having left it with the dealer for the week and they have updated the airbag ECU software to hopfully fix the stop start issue and replaced the wiper stalk, which has the maxidot control switch to fix the display problems. However they could not get the media system to fault while they had it and there were no error codes either.

TP

No Problem. Fingers crossed that the items changed and the software update fixes the issues - the media problem may be part of one of the other issues. Seems like the Mk3 Octavia is have a few electrical teething issues hopefully they will get resolved quickly - one downside of having the latest platform I guess. Otherwise hope the car is living upto expectations? 

After hearing from a friend that had the timing chain stretch on his Leon 1.2TSI, he was mainly complaining about a rattling noise initially at cold start-up, then months later it kind of stayed noisy enough all the time for Seat to diagnose a stretched chain, newer stronger chain now fitted along with new tensioner and damper assembly, and of course an oil change as the bits of damper end up in the oil it seems. All done FOC with car a few months outside warranty and with full Seat service history. For your peace of mind you should contact Skoda UK to see if that car has already had this upgrade, they must hold records of this sort of re-work.

Yeah think I will ring customer services and check if has ever been done; never been advised if it has during any of the services etc but don't normally get told it just gets done. 

David