AA charge

Got my AA (basic roadside) renewal info today. Up from about £43 last year to £63. (No call outs involved.)

Phoned them up.

"Oh yes sir, you've been a member for six years. We'll see what we can do."

I told him I'd been a member for more like 40 years but having 3 Octavias in a row, all came with AA membership, and I'd only re-joined myself when the latest warranty ran out. Also, I haven't had to call them out for about 15 years.

Mumble, mumble, grunt. "Okay sir, we'll do it for £42, and throw in £500 key insurance, and add accident recovery, and....and..."

Moral is phone them up and tell them you're taking your custom elsewhere......as usual!!  

They ALL try it on!

well done always worth complaining, I've had sky tv free for 2yrs because I cancel every year and they pester me till they offer free deal.

I had the same cover as you, the AA basic roadside cover. I cancel the auto-renew every year and buy it fresh again as you get better price. I always use Quidco and buy online as I got £19 cashback per policy. Had 2 x policies 1 for my car and 1 for the Mrs's car, bought at the same time. I have had AA cover since 2001.

Last week the 2 renewals (auto renewals) came through the door, both run out on the same day and the prices were £47 renewal on one, and £24 on the other, I fully read and checked and the cover level and it is exactly the same.

Rang them up and said you can cancel these and asked the guy how they can send out 2 x renewals for eactly the same cover to the same house with one twice a much as the other he looked at the policies and confirmed they were identical cover and he said ''I can't answer why the price difference, coz I dont know'' 

When asking him, seemingly I wasnt the only person who had asked him that question!

So the AA can shove it - they are robbing barstools. IMHO.

Lewwy

Edited by Lewwy

I alternate every year between the RAC and the AA.

I never pay more than £39 as a result.

You should use Quidco or Topcashback

http://www.quidco.com/aa-uk-breakdown-cover/

Currently £15 CB on a £39 policy. I use Quidco and the CB always pays out on AA.

Lewwy

• Like 1

You should use Quidco or Topcashback

http://www.quidco.com/aa-uk-breakdown-cover/

Currently £15 CB on a £39 policy. I use Quidco and the CB always pays out on AA.

Lewwy

One of my mates goes on about Quidco, I've never delved into it, sounds like it is worth a look in future.

I had the same cover as you, the AA basic roadside cover. I cancel the auto-renew every year and buy it fresh again as you get better price. I always use Quidco and buy online as I got £19 cashback per policy. Had 2 x policies 1 for my car and 1 for the Mrs's car, bought at the same time. I have had AA cover since 2001.

Last week the 2 renewals (auto renewals) came through the door, both run out on the same day and the prices were £47 renewal on one, and £24 on the other, I fully read and checked and the cover level and it is exactly the same.

Rang them up and said you can cancel these and asked the guy how they can send out 2 x renewals for eactly the same cover to the same house with one twice a much as the other he looked at the policies and confirmed they were identical cover and he said ''I can't answer why the price difference, coz I dont know'' 

When asking him, seemingly I wasnt the only person who had asked him that question!

So the AA can shove it - they are robbing barstools. IMHO.

Lewwy

You gotta give the operative a bit of credit though: he was honest and said he didn't know, many others would have just fed you some bullsh!t down the phone.

Got my AA (basic roadside) renewal info today. Up from about £43 last year to £63. (No call outs involved.)

Phoned them up.

"Oh yes sir, you've been a member for six years. We'll see what we can do."

I told him I'd been a member for more like 40 years but having 3 Octavias in a row, all came with AA membership, and I'd only re-joined myself when the latest warranty ran out. Also, I haven't had to call them out for about 15 years.

Mumble, mumble, grunt. "Okay sir, we'll do it for £42, and throw in £500 key insurance, and add accident recovery, and....and..."

Moral is phone them up and tell them you're taking your custom elsewhere......as usual!!  

They ALL try it on!

Just had a similar experience with my house insurance and Churchill.....my last policy cost me £147 for buildings and contents, but my renewal came through at £212 (despite not having claimed), so I went on GoCompare and Churchill came in at........£129 !!!!!!.

I phoned them up and enquired why, but again they couldn't really proved an answer but agreed to provide cover for £129...happy days :happy:

Just had a similar experience with my house insurance and Churchill.....my last policy cost me £147 for buildings and contents, but my renewal came through at £212 (despite not having claimed), so I went on GoCompare and Churchill came in at........£129 !!!!!!.

I phoned them up and enquired why, but again they couldn't really proved an answer but agreed to provide cover for £129...happy days :happy:

Yes, same day as my AA bit above I had my (Halifax) house renewal, went up over £100 p.a., no claims etc.

Got on to a local broker who got better cover than before, from AXA, at £50 cheaper than LAST year.

There is NO fixed price for anything these days (flights, hotels etc etc) you just have to shop around.

The only oddball exception recently was my Octavia insurance. As usual I do compare sites, changing almost every year (exactly the same details each time.)

Went onto e-Sure about 3 years ago and it has gone down at least £20 p.a. each renewal, without me asking.

Still do compare sites each year and they still come out best, for me.

Strangest of all is when I do the compare site now, the e-Sure quote, though still best, is higher than I am actually quoted for renewal.

Go figure. :think: