1.2 TSI real world mpg?(and should I change from a Fabia)

I have a Fabia MonteCarlo Tech 1.6TDI which is currently giving me around 650 miles to a 10 gallon fill ie a genuine 65 mpg. It does everything asked of it for my commute and being a tech has nav/Bluetooth & maxidot etc. I also have a spare set of Monte wheels and tyres( of which I'll come back to shortly). I am very happy with this car.

HOWEVER it is financed through a pcp which allows 14k miles per anum which I am, after the first year,only slightly over but I have achieved this mainly by using my car for the work commute only meaning that most other journeys are done in SWMBOs Kia Rio.

Even though I am only just over a year into the contract,due it seems to better than expected residuals,I have an opportunity to change cars for a 1 year old Rapid 1.2 TSI SE with 15k miles(ie almost exactly the same age/miles as the Fabia). NOW the point to my ramblings is that if I do the swap and put a few quid into the deal I could end up buying the Rapid outright over a couple of years and own the car at 3years rather than would be the case with the Fabia which would have to be handed back/traded etc.

The few quid mentioned would actually work out at about 3k but this can easily be paid over from savings without any difficulty.

So do I keep the Fabia, which is a known quantity etc but effectively hand it back OR change for a Rapid and 'own' it after a couple of years. Psychologically I'm not keen on the pcp due to the mileage restrictions and never actually owning anything although I am aware that in reality the over mileage penalties are not huge.

A change of car always appeals but I do not wish to do this for this reason alone.

I think I need to drive a Rapid with the 1.2TSI engine.. I did drive a 1.6TDI engined Rapid a while ago which I liked but the cost to change figures don't really stack up with a diesel engined Rapid and in any event,and subject to a decent test drive,feel about ready for another petrol engine.

The Rapid in question is the 86ps version with 5 speed gearbox rather than the more desirable 105ps 6 speeder although as with the diesel the figures to change don't really stack up with the higher powered TSI. For information the Fabia TDI is 105ps but only 5 speed. On paper the performance between the Rapid TSI & the Fabia TDI are negligible and for me not enough to sway the decision.

Finally the spare Monte alloys would, I think, go rather well on the Rapid!

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated.

Also forgot to mention that the one thing I miss with the Monte is cruise control. This can be retrofitted for £300 or so but is standard on the SE spec Rapid.

Just drove a fabia 1.2 tsi with the 86 Bhp version as a curtesy car, there is very little difference between it and the 105 Bhp version at low speed, it seems to have the same pull low down but a big difference higher up in the rev range. You had to try it to see whether you can live with it. The fuel economy you will see a bit of a hit, i get 42 mpg in town and 48-50 mpg on motorway. There are lots of good deals for 13 reg rapids 1.2 tsi SE for about £8500-9000 in dealers, which is brilliant value for money.

Thanks eykmak.

My commute is about 48 miles per day, ie 24 miles each way with the first 3 miles on country roads,about 18 miles on a motorway (at not much more than 60mph)followed by a couple of urban miles. I have always matched or exceeded published mpg figures due to careful driving and a mpg friendly commute.

I was hoping to achieve 50+ mpg as an average. Is this a realistic expectation?

This is what i get out of my fabia monte tec 1.2 TSI 105 @ a constant 60 mph this is all combined A/B roads and motorway

20140511_100328_zps99abfca4.jpg

If this helps i have just traded her in for a Rapid spaceback with £1000 off plus 0% pcp The normal rapid has £2000 off otr. So you might be better off buying new then pay the pcp off in full if you can. I got £8500 px with 9000 miles. I got my monte on a 5000 mile pcp and i have done 9000 miles in a year i have not had to pay excess mileage as i have traded in and not handed back ( in the terms and conditions it says i can do 17000 miles in 42 months)

Thanks eykmak.

My commute is about 48 miles per day, ie 24 miles each way with the first 3 miles on country roads,about 18 miles on a motorway (at not much more than 60mph)followed by a couple of urban miles. I have always matched or exceeded published mpg figures due to careful driving and a mpg friendly commute.

I was hoping to achieve 50+ mpg as an average. Is this a realistic expectation?

It's definitely achievable, I get that from my 105PS 1.2 but I am very careful to drive economically, 60 on the motorways etc. Full mpg history on my fuelly signature link, haven't got less than 50mpg from a single tank yet (although came close a couple of times).

It's definitely achievable, I get that from my 105PS 1.2 but I am very careful to drive economically, 60 on the motorways etc. Full mpg history on my fuelly signature link, haven't got less than 50mpg from a single tank yet (although came close a couple of times).

Hope i get that out of my new rapid spaceback

I drive normally if not a little uneconomical and my overall average mpg is still 45mpg. You will easily get 50

Sent using my right thumb

Good luck with the purchase. I changed my Fabia for a Toledo recently (was the cheapest Rapid/Toledo available with cruise control - 3 months old) and am very happy. Less enclosed with lower dashboard, slightly wider, amazing rear room and boot; feels sharper to steer. I have the 105ps tsi that comes with 6 speed - well worth it - and get about 48mpg, according to the computer, On long runs the better aerodynamics pay dividends with well over 50mpg. The gear stick does not interfere with my left leg on a long run with the 6 speed box either. I traded the Fabia because it will soon be replaced and lose value but, as stated above, do see what they will offer new on a PCP - I think it is a small price to pay to exceed the mileage limit. There are great deals second hand and check out Motorpoint - they have lots of diesel Rapids and Toledos at less then 10k and they offered me a decent trade-in price.