2007 Skoda Octavia VRS top strut bolts

Hey everybody. Im struggling to remove the top strut bolts to take out the suspension and replace it. It seems as I have to reach underneath the top strut manifold and hold the nut still so i can screw it out, but to me that seems impossible. Is there any other way of removing those bolts?

octavia-mk2-341.png

The arrows point to the bolts Im struggling of removing.

Excuse my bad english!

just unscrew the bolts from the top as the nuts on the bottom are welded to the mount so they shouldn't spin

well the nuts are stuck to the bolts and do actually spin and thats where the problem lies. The nuts are not welded to the mount and therefore i have to hold the nuts in place myself which seems impossible.

Is it possible to remove the bolts by just cutting them off or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Edited by gislithor

The nuts definitely are welded.  Maybe your welds failed? 

You might have to grind them off.  If you can get in with a rattle gun you might get enough speed up to overcome the thread friction & spin them out.

When I had a spring fixed recently the indy mentioned that the bolts were welded on poorly and one had broken away.

The nuts definitely are welded.  Maybe your welds failed? 

You might have to grind them off.  If you can get in with a rattle gun you might get enough speed up to overcome the thread friction & spin them out.

yeah they're probably broken. i've tried grinding them off with a rattle gun but to no use, it just loosened the bolts.

I had to cut mine out with a hacksaw.

Another way is to put a hacksaw under the bolt and use an impact gun to spin it, this way you avoid paint damage.

okay but how is it possible to reach the hacksaw to the inner bolt (closest to the window)?

okay but how is it possible to reach the hacksaw to the inner bolt (closest to the window)?

Is it not possible? I don't know without looking. Only two of my bolts never came out, the rest I got with either a 10mm socket or mole grips on the nuts inside where the strut sits.

Is it not possible? I don't know without looking. Only two of my bolts never came out, the rest I got with either a 10mm socket or mole grips on the nuts inside where the strut sits.

well, without removing the plastic cover which is covering the whole area beneath the windshield (which i dont know how to remove without force) there isn't much space to fit a hacksaw. i barely got the rattle gun there.