I am the proud - and grateful - owner of the very last Favorit LXIe estate on the UK road, but now so sad that I have to look to replace her soon because parts are getting hard to source, and costly. I'd like another Skoda because she has served me so well, and I shall be very grateful for any guidance forum members can offer ... especially on the following points:

- I have a phobia of rubber bands used to drive camshafts, and so love the chain drive on the 1289cc engine. Accordingly, I zoomed over to my local 'agent' to get the real 'gen on which subsequent Skodas retained chain drive .... the suit didn't know, and evidently didn't care ... hmmm, that was really bad, I was very disappointed ... can anyone advise me?

- The subsequent Felicia models seem to suffer from a rot-spot vulnerability on the forward edge of the rear wheel arches, which looks very hard to fix if not caught in good time ... and may be a potential killer MoT-wise because it is within 30cm of the rear suspension mountings ... again, can anyone advise me?

Edited by Skodle

Many thanks.

skodanorman - yes, by a long chalk, if the "How many left" website is not fooling me.

So I'm ok for chain drive on the 1289s and the 1.4 8v Felicias and Fabias ... how about the diesels?

KenONeill, agreed, it is a matter of interpretation. Possibly a tricky one! A Tester might give it the benefit of the doubt, but if he did not, a strict VOSA Examiner might IMHO consider that the lower forward edge of the arch was of some structural significance.

I'd be very glad to hear of any others' experiences MoT-wise with this corrosion problem, one way or the other.

Edited by Skodle

Chain driven petrol engines;

1300 Felicias

1400 Fabias (but the 8v, not the 16v).

Diesels I don't know about.

Timing belts aren't totally dreadful if changed at the correct time interval?

Howmanyleft should always be taken with a pinch of salt in my opinion. It may be the last one but I hope not as they're good cars.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

With regards to the corrosion there seem plenty of solid Felicias a about without significant rust to me. Many suffer from a lack of repair to trivial damage however but buy carefully and you should be able to get a shell with the potential to go on for years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I mean no disrespect to any Felicia owners here, but I'd not bother with a Felicia if I were you, if you are worried about parts availability for the Favorit, the Felicia is only just behind it, (they share most running gear) although I don't see the problem myself, with the exception of body panels, but they can be sourced from Czech Republic if needed.

The Fabia is an infinitely better car than the Felicia, only marginally more to buy now for an older one, and due to being built from 100% double sided, galvanised steel, doesn't rust at all if looked after. The Felicia is old school, non galvanised steel and suffers rust worse than the last Favorits did and most are all getting pretty beat up and rusty now (locally anyway, I only see dog rough ones around :( ).

You can also stick with the trusty old chain driven Skoda engine in the Fabia, (bored out to 1.4), if you like it :)

Edited by favguy

Our last Fabia was loads more trouble than either of the Felicias we had before it, one of which is still soldiering on. Admitedly mostly electrical issues - electric windows, spurious fault warnings etc. but also cooling system problems.

Never any rust problems with the Fabia though other than cosmetic on the tailgate despite the car regularly being wet inside until the rear doors were fixed. Our Felicias on the other hand both suffered from rusted front struts and one had a particularly scabby tailgate and the other pretty ropey rear arches.

Felicias are all getting on now though and our latest Fabia (tempting fate) is much better than our last one and has none of the rust issues of the Felicia. I still prefer to drive the Felicia though, I find the Fabia feels cumbersome by comparison and rearward view is dreadful for reversing and blind spots all round...

Diesel Felicia is belt drive by the way, I'm paranoid about that and have had it changed so many times more than I need to.

I mean no disrespect to any Felicia owners here, but I'd not bother with a Felicia if I were you, if you are worried about parts availability for the Favorit, the Felicia is only just behind it, (they share most running gear) although I don't see the problem myself, with the exception of body panels, but they can be sourced from Czech Republic if needed.

The Fabia is an infinitely better car than the Felicia, only marginally more to buy now for an older one, and due to being built from 100% double sided, galvanised steel, doesn't rust at all if looked after. The Felicia is old school, non galvanised steel and suffers rust worse than the last Favorits did and most are all getting pretty beat up and rusty now (locally anyway, I only see dog rough ones around :( ).

You can also stick with the trusty old chain driven Skoda engine in the Fabia, (bored out to 1.4), if you like it :)

You can pick up a pretty decent Felicia for £350. Cheapest Fabias with

astronomical mileages are twice that. Better car maybe but not in the same price range.

No issues with Felicia spares in my experience as yet.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your very astute, insightful and helpful comments - most warmly appreciated!

(Result - Felicia now in the drive! - stand by for more).

for the sake of truth here is the corrosion protection technology for Felicia.

this is page 8 I translated from Self Study Program 005 Skoda Felicia - Konstruktion und Funktion

effe6b7c1f84.jpg

I stand corrected on the galvanising :) It's a shame they didn't bother with the areas that actually rust badly though! The front and rear arches...