car wobbling side to side at high speeds

Hi wonder if some one could help. Car wobbles side to at high speeds, more when theres a bend in the road and turning steering to the left. Its not the tyres as ive recently put on another set of wheels with newish tyres and its still the same.

You say you recently changed the wheels.  Do the 'new' wheels have the correct centre bore size to fully locate them on the hub?  Are any of the wheels running out of true?

• Like 2

Octavia vrs pd 2008 with 150k miles. Ive recently had engine changed so everything was off including steering rack and was off road for 2 months, been doing it since not before. I had zeniths on before and now 18" neptunes. Its mainly the back end that wobbles. Rear passengers heads nod side ways lol

• Confused 1

Something to do with the rear dampers not absorbing the movement maybe get someone to drive behind u see if one of the wheels are bouncing that might create a bounce from side to side

• Like 1

Something to do with the rear dampers not absorbing the movement maybe get someone to drive behind u see if one of the wheels are bouncing that might create a bounce from side to side

• Like 1

Oh and the drivers side bump stop is in pieces and also when ive got full car with people and stuff in the boot it dosent wobble, only slightly that only i feel because i know the problem.

• Groan 1

I'd say get the suspension bushes checked. My car was feeling quite jiggly at low speeds recently, had new lower links fitted to the rear suspension and now it is feeling fine again. If the wheels are not wobbling but the body is then that points to suspension being "loose"

Ian

• Like 2

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for update. Always good to hear of a successful ending.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Problem solved thnx all. Worn bushes on the track rod circled in the pic, bought from TPS for £52

I'd had an odd swaying of the car from side to side for some time and it was getting worse so decided I had to get it sorted. Finally traced it to the off side inner bush on one of these track rods. Once off the car it was clearly completely dis-bonded, but hard to detect anything while it was on the car.  Changed both rods and both the ARB bushes (as they had to be detached from sub-frame anyway), all for £55 from Eurocarparts. Straight forward job to do. No need to disconnect the ends of the ARB and no need to remove rear springs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 04/04/2016 at 17:54, David340R said:

I'd had an odd swaying of the car from side to side for some time and it was getting worse so decided I had to get it sorted. Finally traced it to the off side inner bush on one of these track rods. Once off the car it was clearly completely dis-bonded, but hard to detect anything while it was on the car.  Changed both rods and both the ARB bushes (as they had to be detached from sub-frame anyway), all for £55 from Eurocarparts. Straight forward job to do. No need to disconnect the ends of the ARB and no need to remove rear springs.

Mine does the same just got 4 tires put on full 4 wheel alignment  new coilovers all round wheel bearing changed still going on motorway doing about 70 - 80 my car seems like it’s wobbling left and right like I’m going to loose control. I will check my bushes I hope this sorts out cause it’s driving me madddddd.. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 16/02/2018 at 04:16, Skodamk2 said:

Mine does the same just got 4 tires put on full 4 wheel alignment  new coilovers all round wheel bearing changed still going on motorway doing about 70 - 80 my car seems like it’s wobbling left and right like I’m going to loose control. I will check my bushes I hope this sorts out cause it’s driving me madddddd.. 

Bump cause mine does the same.. I had her aligned in February and it was driving fab. Now its back to wobbling, the rear can't be aligned as the bolts are seized to the bushes - I'll begin there but it's some job... 

It feels awful to drive and affects the handling so just looking into what else it could be before I change half of the car😒

On 04/04/2016 at 17:54, David340R said:

How did you trace it, did you just notice it was worn?? My car stopped wobbling after 4 wheel alignment - but the back is now seized and can't be done again and the driving is awful 😞

• Confused 1