Octavia vrs estate to Superb Lauren Klement - worth it?

HI

I currently have a 2013 vrs wagon and although i love the car the interior quality and the road noise is starting to grate on me a bit.

I have been looking at superbs online and was wondering are the levels of refinement a lot better than the octavia? interior quality?

Looking specifically at the laurin and klement model on the skoda web page there doesn't seem to be any for sale in the dealer network, looking at new the spec i chose adds up to about 31k which is a monumental amount for a skoda. What sort of discounts are available?

I got about 5.5k off my vrs when i got it and a similar percentage saving would be handy.

I had petrol and diesel Octavias before moving to Superbs. The Superb is on a different level comfort wise and much more refined. Sound insulation is much better than the Octavia. That's not taking away from the Octavia as I drove a 2014 model recently and it is very nice. Equipment levels are obviously top end on the L&K Superb which I'm sure you've seen when looking up on the web. The seats are very comfy on the L&K and far superior to the Octavia.

Build quality is better and materials are top notch although again that's not to take from the Octavia.

I wonder is your experience of refinement in the vRS anything to do with your wheels and suspension. The L&K will have 18s so a slight compromise on comfort but nothing overly noticeable.

One thing however is that the Octavia is a brand new model and the Superb is a facelift so for example you would probably have a better sat nav system on the Octavia as they are using newer technology.

I'd find it difficult to go back to an Octavia again. The 170 is a great engine as I'm sure you already know and works well in the Superb. What are your needs - space, high mileage, performance? Financially it's obviously not an optimal time to change if you have a 2013 with deprecation etc, then again there is a nice waiting list for new models so you might find an eager private buyer. Not sure on UK discounts. L&Ks are like hens teeth here in Ireland!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I'd be looking for a nearly new FL Elegance with the CR170 engine. I saved nearly 7 grand by doing that. The car was only three months old. 

There are plenty of them available on the Skoda site and the standard spec is excellent. The FL comes with DAB, heated windscreen, LED DRLs, LED rear lights and auto dimming mirror as standard on top of the usual Elegance goodies. 

Build quality is excellent and it is less noisy and more refined in the cabin compared to a Mk2 and Mk3 vRS by a long way. 

And my apologies to the L&K folk, but I really can't get over the brown interior - and yes, i've seen it 'in the flesh'. 

Also, If you're coming from a vRS you'd be wise to consider upgrading the suspension (I just did), well worth the money as the 3T5 is a bit of a tank in factory spec when you press on through some of those faster bends. 

And my apologies to the L&K folk, but I really can't get over the brown interior - and yes, i've seen it 'in the flesh'. 

I agree, the brown is horrible and even worse 'in the flesh'.  Thankfully ivory is an option now but only on the FL models

Just to clarify my octavia is a mk2 not the new model

Well in that case a Superb (even a pre FL model) will be superior in ride quality and general quality.  dstev2000 has a good point about the suspension though.  I would prefer a slightly more balanced ride at times but it still behaves well enough.  Tyres are such a major factor at times though when it comes to ride issues and a well thought out tyre/wheel combo makes all the difference.

I'm new to the whole Skoda world having had a Mercedes E Class estate previuously, and I can honestly say the L&K 170 that I've had now for nearly 2 months now beats it every way. It's quieter, more comfortable (drove form Holyhead to London non stop without any aches etc) and much better on fuel as well.

As to the brown interior I love it combined with black exterior it looks a really classy combination and doesn't have the problem of jeans colour transfer like the light brown /grey versions.

Go for it get an L&K

Just to clarify my octavia is a mk2 not the new model

Just to reiterate previous comments, the Superb - pre or post FL -  will outclass the 1Z Octavia vRS in most aspects except possibly the handling department. 

I've had both the pre facelift and facelift Superbs and the only grumble on the FL was the ride, which i've cured with Bilstein B6 shock absorbers. 

I've also had a Mk.2 Octavia vRS TDI and a Mk.2 L&K so I have an adequate frame of reference. 

I changed from an Octavia vRS to a Superb Greenline in 'S' spec and cant say I miss my Octavia. Like it has been said the Superb is much more refined and the space inside is fantastic.

I have very recently bought an ex demo Superb Estate L&K 170PS 4x4 DSG, a "14" plate with 300 miles on the clock.  It has £850 of extras, The retail price is around £34,700.  It cost me £28,500, which I thought was a great price.  It has Cappucino Beige metallic paint and dark brown trim with wood inserts.  I didn't think I'd like either the exterior or the interior colours, but actually the car looks really smart.  It sounds expensive, but if you look at alternatives ( e.g. Audi A6 Allroad, Volvo XC70), it's exceptional value.  The panoramic sunroof is a must!

I was recently shopping for my car and choosing between the Vrs and Superb and while part of me loved the sillyness of the Vrs after several test drives in both I really couldnt live with the ride and opted for the Superb L&K estate. I used Carwow and got £7k off just by signing up so give it a go and see what you find ;)

The Suprb is simply another class in terms of comfort and refinement and just so easy to drive. I have a E class convertible that I've had for 3 years and the ride on the 19's and hard AMG suspension does my head in on the roads around here and I simply couldnt face another few years of the same thing. The Superb is much much better - not perfect with the 18's but much better.

I wasnt sure about the brown so opted for the ivory leather interior and black mats and although the steering wheel and dash top are still dark brown it looks good IMHO.

Gone from Octy vRS estate to Superb Greenline estate.

Miss the extra whoomph, yes, but didn't actually use it that much apart from when overtaking tbh.

DEFO NOT missing the aggravation from other drivers at traffic lights and in general now.

47 mpg to 62 on average is another big plus too.

All in all, a damned good switch imo.

I have had Superb's before I got hold of my mk 3 VRS, next month I am ordering a mega spec Superb 170 elegance specced estate, I miss the comfort space and quietness. The 1200 mile round trip to visit family in the UK from Germany is not much fun in the VRS it was a breeze in the Superb's and don't get me started on economy the VRS is poor 39.7 mpg long term my old 170 superb used to achieve over 53 mpg on the same trip.

If the L&K came with a black leather option I would have it in a heart beat but swmbo and I don't like the brown or ivory so fully loaded Elegance it is and I cannot wait.

• Like 2