1.4 TSi manual rev "blip" when depressing clutch

Hi all,

Say you're sitting at a red light. You slip the manual gearbox into neutral to rest your left foot. When the lights change (ideally before!) you put foot on clutch and move gear shifter to 1st. Every so often, and by no means not all of the time, when I depress the clutch, I get a transient engine blip from normal idling (about 800 rpm) to something more like 1200 rpm, and then it dies back down again. I would say it takes half a second at most.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? What's going on? I haven't yet been able to work out a pattern to it (e.g. if it is related to engine temp). I'm pretty sure it happens when I depress the clutch, not when I select the gear.

Nope. Never saw anything like that with my 1.4 TSI. Could be I just wasn't paying attention and not noticed it though. Probably just electronics behind the dashboard playing up IMO...

This came up recently, lots of modern cars do it. It aids crawling in traffic. If you keep the clutch half way up the revs will stay up, so if in first you can nudge the bite point to crawl without using the accelerator.

My wife's Mini does it, and I noticed it when test driving an Octavia as well.

Edited by josedebardi

I have the 1.4TSi manual, and I've noticed that in Eco mode it's sometimes difficult to pull away smoothly. There's some sort of blip on mine usually coincident with raising the clutch. I had thought it was my feet being a bit dim, not having fully gotten used to the car, but I've seen it a few times now and there's definitely something odd happening, presumably with the engine management module. If I put it in Normal engine mode it never happens, it's a smooth as a...err...silky..err.. something or other. Can't think of an analogy! :happy:

The strange thing is it doesn't do it every time. Idling in neutral at a standstill, sometimes when I put the clutch in, the engine blips; mostly it doesn't. Yes, if I try to creep along by raising the clutch to its bite point, the revs will rise without use of accelerator. But just depressing the clutch when in neutral? Doesn't make sense.

If you depress slowly it thinks you are half way and so raises revs. If you depress quickly it doesn't have time to react.

It doesn't track the pedal direction up/down to decide when to raise them, just position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2.0 TDI does it too, it increases the revs as you bring the clutch pedal towards the biting point. I have always thought it was some sort of anti-stall system. Certainly when in traffic you can just bring the clutch up to creep forward without the need to use the accelerator.

Just to add to this, my Superb TDI does this. My pre FL 2010 CFGB Superb didn't but my 2013 CFGB Superb does, it also has Start Stop fitted too. 

It probably reduces the stress levels through the DMF when using just the clutch to creep forward in traffic - mostly applies to TDIs of course. 

I'm reliably informed that SWMBO's 2013 Octavia vRS TSI does this as well. 

My 2.0 TDI does it too, it increases the revs as you bring the clutch pedal towards the biting point. I have always thought it was some sort of anti-stall system. Certainly when in traffic you can just bring the clutch up to creep forward without the need to use the accelerator.

This is exactly right.

All cars with electronic throttles will idle drive without any accelerator pedal input, usually increasing speed by a hundred rpm when a gear is engaged to prevent stalling.

Next time you have a clear road, leave it in gear, take foot off pedal but don't disengage the clutch.

It won't stall and will creep forward at 900rpm or so.

Works very well in the diesels (in all gears) with lots of torque but also for the petrols but they can struggle a bit in higher gears.

It's very useful for creeping forward in 1st, 2nd or 3rd when stuck in slow moving traffic.