Rooftop aerial replacement

Hi

Have searched for this without result. My rooftop aerial (radioantenna) has cracked in half and the plastic has perished. I've removed just the aerial and left the base in place.
Do anyone know if I can replace the antenna with a aftermarket one like this:

www.ebay.de/itm/SKODA-FABIA-OCTAVIA-ROOMSTER-STAB-ANTENNE-16V-M6-40CM-/271041572799?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3f1b562fbf

It has adapters in different sizes to screw in to the base so that part is clear to me. What puzzles me is that the original antenna, which also screws in to the base, has an extension with a small edge (see orange arrow in picture). I wonder if this extension is essential for connection or if it's just an anti-theft invention? Note that this part is molded in to the original aerial and I have painted how the aerial sits over the screw-part-thingy

So will a normal screw give enough signal or do you need a original aerial with the extended screw?

Sorry for bad english guys, I'm only 24
Thanks!

post-100865-0-01123600-1404479795_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ilmari

Hi

Have searched for this without result. My rooftop aerial (radioantenna) has cracked in half and the plastic has perished. I've removed just the aerial and left the base in place.

Do anyone know if I can replace the antenna with a aftermarket one like this:

www.ebay.de/itm/SKODA-FABIA-OCTAVIA-ROOMSTER-STAB-ANTENNE-16V-M6-40CM-/271041572799?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3f1b562fbf

It has adapters in different sizes to screw in to the base so that part is clear to me. What puzzles me is that the original antenna, which also screws in to the base, has an extension with a small edge (see orange arrow in picture). I wonder if this extension is essential for connection or if it's just an anti-theft invention? Note that this part is molded in to the original aerial and I have painted how the aerial sits over the screw-part-thingy

So will a normal screw give enough signal or do you need a original aerial with the extended screw?

Sorry for bad english guys, I'm only 24

Thanks!

attachicon.gifOctavia aerial.jpg

Yes you can replace with that item

Your std aerial has a section with no thread as in your picture which is locking position to stop aerial flying off but you don't need it.

Hi Ilmari, and welcome to the forum.

The aerial on my Mk.1 VRS went exactly the same way as yours - the rubber perished and came away from the base, making it look horrible.

I bought exactly the same replacement aerial from Ebay as the one you have looked at, albeit from a different seller.

It is a perfect replacement. It also came with an adaptor - and I cannot remember if I used it or not....I think I did? 

Either way, it just screwed straight onto the base with no problems.

I like it because it is not a long as the original aerial. I am happy with it - I think it looks great. Hope this helps!

Hi Ilmari, and welcome to the forum.

The aerial on my Mk.1 VRS went exactly the same way as yours - the rubber perished and came away from the base, making it look horrible.

I bought exactly the same replacement aerial from Ebay as the one you have looked at, albeit from a different seller.

It is a perfect replacement. It also came with an adaptor - and I cannot remember if I used it or not....I think I did? 

Either way, it just screwed straight onto the base with no problems.

I like it because it is not a long as the original aerial. I am happy with it - I think it looks great. Hope this helps!

Did you buy the shorter 24 cm version? Might go for that too.

How the hell do you get the Ariel off ? I have twisted it all the way out but then it won't pop out

Twist it all the way out to so that you can fold it down towards the roof.

Then keep untwisting and at the same time pull it upwards/backwards with a slight yank. You need to use some force. I tried this many times before without luck but then after reading about it and knowing it should come out I just pulled it a little bit more and out it came. I'm not sure if you just can pull it but I twisted it at the same time and it worked.

Good luck!

Did you buy the shorter 24 cm version? Might go for that too.

Correcto, I did.

I like it more than the factory length. You still get the nice look of the central aerial, but it looks a little less like a dodgem car's electrical feed pole!

Correcto, I did.

I like it more than the factory length. You still get the nice look of the central aerial, but it looks a little less like a dodgem car's electrical feed pole!

Thanks mate!