Would you buy a Rapid again?

Probably not unless they bought out a vrs with updated tech.

The engines available are lacking and the tech is outdated.

Don't get me wrong I love my sport but in a few years time when I'm changing I will want to 'upgrade'

Based on having my car for a week, I am delighted with it.   Unlike VRSbilly, who sounds like he's more into high performance, I am happy with the 1.2 TSI Sport because it does everything I want it to.  That's no criticism of Billy - we all choose our cars for different reasons.

It looks like a "proper car", has the versatility of a hatchback, has the good looks of a normal car with 17 inch two-tone alloys and the black spoiler which always raises a few eyebrows and questions,  but doesn't cost me a fortune in either fuel or tax.   In my opinion, she's a cracking car that has been well put together with a lot of care in the Quality Control department - exactly what I expected from VAG!   The insurance and running costs are good too, especially with three years free servicing.   The visits to the dealer were pleasant experiences and the customer service is brilliant.   Mr Rapid will be visiting a different dealer for servicing (Camberley Service Centre SEAT/Skoda who, amazingly, don't sell cars) but they enjoy a very good reputation too.   Mrs Bealine was always happy with her Ibiza servicing.

The "lack of available engines" and the "outdated tech" is a bit harsh in my opinion.   Skoda have produced the Rapid aimed squarely at the Retail customer who needs to buy on a budget (otherwise we would all be buying the more prestige brands, no?) and the way the "build to a budget" has been achieved is by using parts from other VAG cars and building on the Volkswagen Polo platform.   That doesn't bother me in the slightest - in fact, I think it's very clever of Skoda to build a car in such a size that they can make affordable!   The fact the car is aimed at the "Retail" customer is a big plus point for me - I prefer not to have my car thought of as a "repmobile!"

I always buy a new car on a PCP agreement, using the equity left from my previous car as my deposit.   Almost any "normal" car you mention nowadays is offered at over £200 a month - the Rapid Sport came in at £179 (based on 5000 miles pa) and with a couple of extras on my new car, using about £1000 equity from my VW Polo and basing the agreement on 12,000 miles pa, we ended up with £170 a month.   A great price for such a good car. 

Edited by bealine

Probably not unless they bought out a vrs with updated tech.

The engines available are lacking and the tech is outdated.

Don't get me wrong I love my sport but in a few years time when I'm changing I will want to 'upgrade'

That was exactly what I thought it lacked.

A higher performance engine option and more modern tech as all the internal electronics and gadgets are taken straight from the mk2 Fabia which came out in 2007.

By comparison my Ford Fiesta has far better interior tech on it.  Way ahead of the mk2 Fabia and Rapid.

I do think the Rapid has a valid place in the Skoda line up, as a cheaper car with large space.

But that's not what I'm in the market for.

But for others I can see why it makes sense.

• Like 1

That was exactly what I thought it lacked.

A higher performance engine option and more modern tech as all the internal electronics and gadgets are taken straight from the mk2 Fabia which came out in 2007.

By comparison my Ford Fiesta has far better interior tech on it. Way ahead of the mk2 Fabia and Rapid.

I do think the Rapid has a valid place in the Skoda line up, as a cheaper car with large space.

But that's not what I'm in the market for.

But for others I can see why it makes sense.

Yes my missus has a fiesta and I'm always jealous of her Sony tech with properly integrated Bluetooth audio...

I had a 2006 octy vrs and all the tech was exactly the same as my 2014 rapid but like you say you can't complain.

Great car for the price, love the looks and if I wanted more tech I should have bought an octy (octy vrs estate next BTW)

Yes my missus has a fiesta and I'm always jealous of her Sony tech with properly integrated Bluetooth audio...

To be honest I didn't realise small car tech had moved on so far.

There so many things available now you can't even spec on the Rapid/Fabia mk2 even if you are willing to throw a lot of money at one and lose come trade in time.

As I said, it has it's place as a budget car.

To be honest I didn't realise small car tech had moved on so far.

There so many things available now you can't even spec on the Rapid/Fabia mk2 even if you are willing to throw a lot of money at one and lose come trade in time.

As I said, it has it's place as a budget car.

The tech on the new octy seems nice but is it just me or has the price skyrocketed?

Never again,

Unless it catches the buiid quality and "simply clever" details of my 10 years old Fabia Mk1. 

I bought it because if my old Fabia was way better than my expectations of that time, then Rapid should be the real drivers car.

But it turned out that I was completely wrong.

And dealers and all the service technicians are all liars as if they are told to be so.

I am waiting for Honda Civic Hb Diesel A/T to come out to get rid of my half a year old Rapid Elegance.

I may be overreacting but I can't help thinking that way, sorry for Skoda enthusiasts.

Thank you,

Faruk

Edited by Faruk

The Rapid comfort is less than i had hoped. But love the technology of Bluetooth (albeit a bit clunky!) cruise control and my 1.4 TSI engine (zippy) and the DSG gearbox is a dream.

I added rear parking sensors, mudflaps and bumper protector.

You just throw anything in the massive boot. Loaded two mountain bikes in last weekend without taking wheels off. So brilliant averaging 46mpg  and well over 50mpg on a long run.

There is a problem with low speed booming resonance noise over anti-skid surfaces particularly, which i am working on to minimize with sound deadening insulation etc (Skoda said it was a feature of the Rapid i.e. cheap)

All in all would buy the car again. Especially as i got it for a great price of under £10K its a 13 Reg in March this year.

Hope to have it for a long time

Bidey fae Perth

Edited by Bidey

Yes. I went out looking for a car that gave the best space for the money (to get my mountain bike in the back), that looked reasonable, and that would give me power when I needed it. My Sport ticked all the boxes - especially as I got it with the £2k off. It's got a massive boot. It looks pretty decent. It's no supercar but it goes when I put my foot down. It's also pretty cheap to run and has a great NCAP rating. I'm happy :) 

• Like 1

Im just waiting for the guy to get back to me as there was (when I was in earler) a sport in Red, the colour that I want in the network.  Im a little impatient.  I went out on a test drive this afternoon and I have to say I really liked the car, powerful enough, new car and then had the fun of driving home in my rattly old Fabia (whose V5 should hopefully turn up soon)

• Like 1

With a better choice of more powerful engines and better tech as mentioned before - yes I would albeit in sportback guise.

Sport is not sporty, just add ones that look a bit meh.

Would never order another white car either lol

Edited by Ad Lav

I probably would. Looking at the options out there, for the price and what you get, I don't think there is anything in this price range which offers so much.

It does everything I need it to do, so I'm happy with it.