Guidance on using Autoglym Extra Gloss

fabia55

I have applied 3 layers of Autoglym extra gloss protection. How long does it last before my layer of polish underneath is exposed to the elements?

I want to put 2 or 3 thin layers of my Collinite 915 before the winter but not sure if I should keep topping up with Autoglym extra gloss protection selant during the summer (as I have plenty left) or just go straight to the Collinite?

dont fall into the trap of loads of layer s - you're just wasting product. Many products just start removing themselves when you layer them, especially products very heavy in solvents and I would add EGP in that category as well.

2 layers might be seen as a good idea so you ensure very good coverage but if your prep was good, you left it a good long time before buffing (up to an hour ideally) and you maintain it well, then EGP is a very long lasting product as 1 layer should see you through into the start of winter I would suggest based on my experience, and certainly if you've done a couple of layers you will be fine. You MUST use EGP sparingly so 1 bottle should last someone several years easily if just doing their own cars. I like EGP except dont have a garage to detail in very often, so the cure time before buffing puts me off as I find that if I leave the car for 30-60 mins before buffing then I risk getting stuff blowing onto the paint. Its why I LOVE OptiSeal as you wipe it on extremely quickly and never have to touch the paint again :D

For winter you would probably want to strip the EGP off using a good paint cleaner and then applying 915 to fresh clean paint and do it before the cold damp weather really starts. A major factor in wax durability is the conditions when it was applied - many people put stuff on in a cold damp day in mid Oct and complain it doesnt last very long. I usually do my winter prep in early to mid Sept on a good dry day with reasonable temps and it will easily last through to spring with a durable product like 915.

Thanks for the advice. I'll not put any more layers of extra gloss then..and just wash & dry my car as usual (every 2 weeks) for the next 2 months or so..

edit: should I start the process (i.e. clay, autoglym srp, etc) all over again in September (which I prefer not to as I've just spent hours on it and my arms are quite sore only for it to be removed after 2 months) or is it ok to put collinite 915 on top of the extra gloss protection?

Edited by fabia55