Skoda Fabia II 2008 - N/S/F Seat belt replacement

Hi all, 

Since buying my Fabia last year the previous owner had a child seat in the passenger front seat which caused some minor fraying of the seat belt. I've since been told this wont pass the MOT, so have been searching to replace it. Most garages/Skoda dealers are quoting £200+ for parts and labour, but after much searching i've managed to find a used seat belt (car its being taken off wasn't written off to serious crash so seat belts/air bags still fine) for £50. 

I was wondering whether anyone would recommend me take it to a dealers (quoted ~£50 for labour) to get the old one off and new one fitted, or whether I should do it myself using this schematic? (http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/body/body_work/passenger_protection/seat_belts/summary_of_components_of_front_seat_belts/).

I've been told it can be a "dodgy" job since they're linked to the airbags, but if it saves me some money and isn't too risky I'm willing to give it a go. 

Anyone have any knowledge/experience/recommendations? Tempted to do it myself but don't want to make things worse by setting of the airbags or something!

Many thanks.

Not dodgy at all providing you disconnect the battery first. Leave it for a few minutes and there'll be no charge left in the airbag control unit so nothing can go off. Just make sure all the connectors are plugged back in before reconnecting the battery otherwise you might get an airbag light on the dashboard that needs either a dealer visit or a friendly VCDS owner to reset.

Other than that, it should be straightforward just  slide the seat fully forwards, sit in the back seat, pop off the top and bottom B post trims and then get to work with a socket set.  I haven't done a front one but you'll probably need a set of tri-square bits to remove them, they're definitely required for the rear belts. Available from Halfrauds but I can't recall what they call them.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply!

Worked a dream, didnt get an airbag light either. Working 'as new'!

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated.