Exhaust Heat Shielding

Hi All,

I know the answer is probably, it was there for a reason, but anyway.

had the VRS MOT'd last night, (Passed woo hooo!), but during this the lads (kindly?) noticed the heat shielding around the back box was no longer attached (all wholes had rusted/torn) and removed it.

now my question is; how quick/do even I need to replace this? The back box itself is pretty rusty too, so I could do that at the same time, although I'm pretty bloody skint at the min so I was wanting to keep costs as low as poss but obviously not sacrifice the car in anyway.

Cheers!

A few years ago mine was hanging off at one corner. I asked the mechanic if it was important and he said yes and fixed it. Not sure if it's something they check during mot or not

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk 2

Are you all talking about the heat shield that is fitted to the car body, or the second skin on the back box which likes to peel off?

I've always made up washers out of aluminium cans to sort the heat shield out as it erodes due to it being aluminium based and being to contact with steel and water,  the second skin on the back box - I played safe there and bought a large stainless steel Jubilee clip from Halfords (you can cut it down to suit) and held the back box's second skin together with that - in a very stylish manner!!

That seems to prevent comments being made I'm happy to say.

A few years ago mine was hanging off at one corner. I asked the mechanic if it was important and he said yes and fixed it. Not sure if it's something they check during mot or not

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk 2

its not important ive removed them off a few of my cars and not had any problems and its not needed for m.o.t