Retrofit LED Rear Light Clusters

Hi,

Had a quick look and doesn't look as if anyone has asked this yet.

Can you replace the rear standard light clusters with LED ones without any issues in voltages, warnings or having to do any programming in VCDS?

Given the Supaskoda discount weekend I'm tempted to fork out as it's one of the few things I wish I had ordered from new.

I'm assuming it's a standard job of peeling back trim, un-doing the nuts and taking the electrical plug off before sliding out the existing cluster and then putting the new LED version in its place and then reversing the installation steps? (Based on previous experience of replacing rear bulbs on another car before).

Thanks!

John

Would be a recode using VCDS. It would be a case of comparing the adaptations and coding of the 09 BCM between a car with LED rear lights and yours. I expect there will be quite a few changes needed.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy. Glad I checked.

May take the plunge and order while cheap and then mull buying VCDS or ask a forum member or two if they've do a trade of their time to encode the for beer or something.

I assume the VCDS is still a £265 kit for a legit working copy? Or would a copy of VCDS lite and a compatible cable suffice as 99$ would be something I'd happily fork out given the functionality?

Thanks!

I'm sure there will be someone close with a cable that can help you out, bound to be someone in Nottingham with a cable.

I'm not that far away in Worksop but I'd only used mine to switch a few things on, wouldn't know where to start with something like this although I do have the LED rear lights on my car

It's just a case of identifying the adaptation channels used for the rear lights and changing the ones that are now LED to a different bulb type. Hopefully, the same channels have the same functions.

An hour or so trawling through the adaptation maps should identify the differences.

• 5 months later...