Amundsen SD card part number

Hi all.

Can anyone confirm me the part number of the SD card map suitable for the Amundsen satnav of Octavia III. So far I have two options, but I'm not sure wether they are valid or not:

- 5E0919866

- 5EO051236A

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has Amundsen satnav could confirm it.

Thanks in advance. Regards

The very latest 2014 V2 card (Europe maps inc GB) is part 5E0 051 236C.

But you are right to be cautious about getting the right number. Ask your local dealer to look up the right number appropriate for your VIN?

Edited by Minimoke

http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionImages/hotspots/technology/info/r12-radios-aux-in-usb-a7-01.jpg

This is the one that I have on my car and It doesn't have a GPS/NAV on it but I am not sure if its just a software upgrade that can be done or it needs to have a GPS chip installed?

Sorry this is of no use to your question :)

The very latest 2014 V2 card (Europe maps inc GB) is part 5E0 051 236C.

But you are right to be cautious about getting the right number. Ask your local dealer to look up the right number appropriate for your VIN?

Thank you. But, as a newbie I am, what is the VIN?

I guess it stands for Vehicle Indentification Number.

Edited by tribulin

Thank you. But, as a newbie I am, what is the VIN?

I guess it stands for Vehicle Indentification Number.

Yes the VIN is Vehicle Identification Number, there is a visible one on the windscreen. There are also numerous others throughout the car and bodywork but the screen one is the easiest to get to. There are also usually ones readily accessible in the engine bay on a metal plate and on the inside edge of one of the front doors (drivers or passenger side depending on the manufacturer).

VIN.jpg

Above is an example of the "Visible VIN" that all modern

cars display in the front window.

Most EU countries also place the VIN on the vehicle registration documents.

As others have said, I'd check with your dealer to be 100% sure of the part number for your specific car and avoid wasting money when you don't have to.

• Like 1

Hi all.

Can anyone confirm me the part number of the SD card map suitable for the Amundsen satnav of Octavia III. So far I have two options, but I'm not sure wether they are valid or not:

- 5E0919866

- 5EO051236A

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has Amundsen satnav could confirm it.

Thanks in advance. Regards

I'm not 100% sure but I believe 5E0919866 may be the part number for a Octy 2. 5E0051236A should work for a Octy 3 but is only V1 and might not work with your VIN (it's not clear from your profile which Octy you actually have).

Get the dealer to provide a part number which will work both on your VIN and in your geographic region. My local dealer did just that when I was looking for a card after my original became corrupted. 

The reason you are being advised to do that is that this is not a straightforward area, and you can easily end up paying good money buying the wrong card. I see you are in Spain but here in the UK a new card will cost £230 whilst second hand ones on ebay go for between £25 and £65. You have to watch the ones on ebay - I have found that a lot of the sellers descriptions are really misleading. The part number is absolutely key.

Edited by Minimoke
  • Like 1

I'm not 100% sure but I believe 5E0919866 may be the part number for a Octy 2. 5E0051236A should work for a Octy 3 but is only V1 and might not work with your VIN (it's not clear from your profile which Octy you actually have).

Get the dealer to provide a part number which will work both on your VIN and in your geographic region. My local dealer did just that when I was looking for a card after my original became corrupted. 

The reason you are being advised to do that is that this is not a straightforward area, and you can easily end up paying good money buying the wrong card. I see you are in Spain but here in the UK a new card will cost £230 whilst second hand ones on ebay go for between £25 and £65. You have to watch the ones on ebay - I have found that a lot of the sellers descriptions are really misleading. The part number is absolutely key.

The point is that I'm still waiting for the car (O3 VRS combi), and the SD card in Spain costs 220€. As you mention, I'm trying to find one on ebay, which are pretty much cheaper. And I want to ensure the card is correct. The maps can be dowinloaded here for free: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo;pgid=pGpU23kYqd5SR0EmbwXpKNPU0000ul--kXkL;sid=MNrR-3q3suXR-yl997CV83C9N0sgGC0ZumTWaotU?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-Main&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

But I've been told that only original SD cards work on the last Amundsen satnavs. So, with "the part number is key" you mean than some of these cards could not work with the downloaded maps? Maybe the part nr. is pointless with the correct map if the card is original.

Thanks!

Edited by tribulin

The fact is that I'm still waiting for the car (a VRS combi), and the SD card in Spain costs 220€. As you mention, I'm trying to find one on ebay, which are pretty much cheaper. And I want to ensure the card is correct. The maps can be dowinloaded here for free: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo;pgid=pGpU23kYqd5SR0EmbwXpKNPU0000ul--kXkL;sid=MNrR-3q3suXR-yl997CV83C9N0sgGC0ZumTWaotU?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-Main&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

But I've been told that only original SD cards will work on the satnav. So, with "The part number is absolutely key.", do you mean that any of these ebay original cards will work with an updated map?

Thanks!

It you've ordered the car with sat nav then it should come with the card.....

It you've ordered the car with sat nav then it should come with the card.....

No, in Spain the card is not included with the Amundsen satnav. You have to order it, and it costs 220€. 

The point is that I'm still waiting for the car (O3 VRS combi), and the SD card in Spain costs 220€. As you mention, I'm trying to find one on ebay, which are pretty much cheaper. And I want to ensure the card is correct. The maps can be dowinloaded here for free: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/EUR/View-Promo;pgid=pGpU23kYqd5SR0EmbwXpKNPU0000ul--kXkL;sid=MNrR-3q3suXR-yl997CV83C9N0sgGC0ZumTWaotU?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-Main&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

But I've been told that only original SD cards work on the last Amundsen satnavs. So, with "the part number is key" you mean than some of these cards could not work with the downloaded maps? Maybe the part nr. is pointless with the correct map if the card is original.

Thanks!

Its not as simple as that. Its not totally clear how the encryption system works in detail but you just can't use any old SD card even if it is a Skoda orignal.

I suspect that there could be a geographic regional dimension to the method by which the card is encrypted by VAG, and that is why I keep advising you to get the part number from your Skoda dealer. Why do you appear so resistant to doing this?

SD card with part number 5E0 051 236C should work with an Amundsen in any 2014 UK Octy 3, but I would not like to say that it would work for a Spanish Octy.  

Its not as simple as that. Its not totally clear how the encryption system works in detail but you just can't use any old SD card even if it is a Skoda orignal.

I suspect that there could be a geographic regional dimension to the method by which the card is encrypted by VAG, and that is why I keep advising you to get the part number from your Skoda dealer. Why do you appear so resistant to doing this?

SD card with part number 5E0 051 236C should work with an Amundsen in any 2014 UK Octy 3, but I would not like to say that it would work for a Spanish Octy.  

I'm not resistant, the fact is that I don't have the car yet. So without the VIN, the dealer is not going to be able to provide me the part number. I'll have to wait... thanks for the advice!

I've just downloaded the latest free flash for mine and burnt it to the original card the car came with. The instructions say to either erase all old info from the card or reformat it before dumping the new files on.

Surely if it's reformatted it would loose any kind of coding/security mentioned above ?

I don't have a non skoda card big enough to try the download on sorry (new file was 7.5GB).

• Like 1

I've just downloaded the latest free flash for mine and burnt it to the original card the car came with. The instructions say to either erase all old info from the card or reformat it before dumping the new files on.

Surely if it's reformatted it would loose any kind of coding/security mentioned above ?

I don't have a non skoda card big enough to try the download on sorry (new file was 7.5GB).

Reformatting has no effect whatever on the card security system. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this forum and other VAG related forums.

Many have tried and all have failed (so far).

Edited by Minimoke
  • Like 1

Reformatting has no effect whatever on the card security system. This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads on this forum and other VAG related forums.

Thank you anyway! If you test with a non Skoda card, please let me know.

The upgrading instructions mention a SD-CDA card. So this may be the security system than Minimoke mentions. I'll try to find out more about it, and the threads Minimoke mentions.

It's a shame you don't have enough space in your original card...

SD Cards have a security chip on them in addition to the flash memory. They were implemented this way so that the data could be protected or a key placed on the security chip which would mean the data can only be read with the correct key from the chip. SD stands for Secure Digital, and the cards superseded MMC which were essentially the same cards but without the security chip. Skoda have placed a certificate on the security chip which cannot be read or overwritten by a computer but can be read by the satnav to allow the system to read the data.

SD Cards have a security chip on them in addition to the flash memory. They were implemented this way so that the data could be protected or a key placed on the security chip which would mean the data can only be read with the correct key from the chip. SD stands for Secure Digital, and the cards superseded MMC which were essentially the same cards but without the security chip. Skoda have placed a certificate on the security chip which cannot be read or overwritten by a computer but can be read by the satnav to allow the system to read the data.

Thats an interesting point and I can see how this would provide generic protection of the card. But I'm struggling to understand how such a method will prevent maps from being updated after 3 years as is the present position with Skoda Amundsen.

Any idea?

The certificate may only have a three year life from when the headunit first reads it. Nothing to stop you updating the map data past three years, but the Amundsen may well refuse to read the updated maps in just the same way would from a normal non skoda card.

Thats an interesting point and I can see how this would provide generic protection of the card. But I'm struggling to understand how such a method will prevent maps from being updated after 3 years as is the present position with Skoda Amundsen.

Any idea?

In the link I posted above VW explain there are seven license's built into the card, one is used loading the maps leaving six for updates. As the updated maps are released every six months you will get three years. Edited by DaiUK

Wow, didn't know that.

I guess that's an easy way for Skoda to limit the number of updates.

One things fir certain, given the cost somebody is bound to try and find a way around it.