At Last

Looks different to your average bear - wheels are not my cup of tea but my issue with them is whenever I see them all I think of is this!

12674856715_ff16fd87a2_m.jpg

Edited by josedebardi
  • Like 4

Looks really good! Might have to get some H&R springs for mine. How does the offset of those wheels compare to standard ones as the arch clearance looks tighter and thus better

Looks really good! Might have to get some H&R springs for mine. How does the offset of those wheels compare to standard ones as the arch clearance looks tighter and thus better

One of my major bugbears with the new vRS… the [standard] wheels looked lost in the arches and I had to do something about it.

The rims sit 21.7mm further outboard (so the cars overall track width has been increased 43.4mm) and 3.7mm further inboard, and with the 25mm drop fill the arches perfectly.

Suspension clearance is still 10-12mm approx., and there's no problem whatsoever on full compression or full lock with the suspension, wheel arches or any underbody ancillaries.

There's a degree of tyre stretch from retaining the 225/40's on 8.5J rims, but it's well within acceptable tolerances.

Been out driving most of the day and steering still feels as sharp as it was prior to the change of wheel (minimal understeer as is often the problem with front wheel drive), and ride definitely feels better than with stock springs.

Been extremely surprised by the amount of positive comments received on the cars appearance!

CIMG1384

That's excellent. So with standard wheels 20mm wheel spacers with spigot rings would achieve pretty much the same look once lowered on these H&R springs as a few mm shouldn't make much difference visually.

Thanks... they're a bit different from the norm (the 'ethos' as it would appear of the manufacturers, 3SDM), but they're like Marmite... people either love or hate them!

I of course love 'em and think the angular look perfectly suits the car.

Nothing against the standard wheels... just that every vRS driving around over here is Race Blue or Candy White and sporting Gemini wheels, and without meaning to upset anyone, with mine being Candy White, I just didn't want it to look like another from the 'fleet'.

• Like 1

Probably sacrelage to suggest it but if you painted those wheel gloss anthracite or black it would finish it a treat I reckon.

Just a personal thing but I love black wheels on a white car.

Probably sacrelage to suggest it but if you painted those wheel gloss anthracite or black it would finish it a treat I reckon.

Just a personal thing but I love black wheels on a white car.

They are actually available in Matt Black (which looks more like Satin in my eyes) and I did consider them, but the polished look won in the end!

Quite a few dealers are registered retailers for the bigger mods/tuning companies. Surprising but true! They are all independent traders at the end of the day, and some have realised there is a market of OEM+ users out there that find it very convenient to purchase from one place.

Like the lowering - you say the dealer fitted uprated springs. 

Can you confirm that a Skoda dealer supplied and fitted h&r springs for the MK3?

If so thats awesome.

I supplied the springs (which were purchased from a company in Germany - DM-cartuning.de) but the supplying (Skoda) dealer from who I purchased the car fitted them.

They did advise that they would void the warranty on any 'related' suspension parts, but as these are only covered for 6 months under the 'wear and tear' category anyway, I'm not that worried about it.

I supplied the springs (which were purchased from a company in Germany - DM-cartuning.de) but the supplying (Skoda) dealer from who I purchased the car fitted them.

They did advise that they would void the warranty on any 'related' suspension parts, but as these are only covered for 6 months under the 'wear and tear' category anyway, I'm not that worried about it.

Great... another thing to add to the credit card!

Cheers

What are 'related' parts though? Couldn't Skoda claim that anything linked to the suspension is voided from shocks etc. Is there a big cost risk to factor in to the decision?

I had my current mk2 FL vRS on Eibachs supplied by the dealer as an 'official' part from new and have had shocks changed under warranty after they were shot on 80,000 miles, so 6 months warranty on suspension must be a recent change.

What are 'related' parts though? Couldn't Skoda claim that anything linked to the suspension is voided from shocks etc. Is there a big cost risk to factor in to the decision?

I had my current mk2 FL vRS on Eibachs supplied by the dealer as an 'official' part from new and have had shocks changed under warranty after they were shot on 80,000 miles, so 6 months warranty on suspension must be a recent change.

Related parts as I was informed (by the dealer) are the shock absorbers and any linkages to the strut arms.

With regards the warranty, there's a difference between failure as a result of wear and tear and/or abuse, and component failure due to manufacturing issues… but how you prove that is another matter!

I know on the MKII the Eibach's were offered as an approved 'option' so I asked SUK about this prior to going down the road of the H&R's, but they said they were unaware of any such an 'option' being offered on the MKIII at this time.

All in all I'm very happy with the look of the car and glad I changed the springs as it makes such a difference to the cars appearance, and I believe it's handling… it's just not so speed hump friendly… but if I wanted to be able to drive over speed humps at 30mph I'd have bought a Chelsea Tractor!