Intercooler question

The other day I was picking over a mk1 octy vrs that was being broken and I brought a map sensor amongst other things from said car as mine had badly corroded screws. Today I decided to fit it,and as always the I ran into problems both screws disintegrated I tried to drill them out but it wasn't happening so I removed intercooler only to find it was shagged. I rang the bloke and went and picked up the intercooler off the same car and fitted it. When I looked at the two map sensors they was different sizes I'd say one was 17mm the original. the new one 12mm ish and the part numer on the new was different ( 028100239) ( 0388906051b)!does any one know if it is compatible as the car?. My car is completely different to drive and is boosting hard which it never has :/

Maybe your "shagged" intercooler had a hole in it and wasn't holding boost? Which might explain why it is boosting harder now that you've fixed it.

Sorry wrote the post with out my glasses on lol. And my car is an 02 mk1 octy vrs and the doner car was an 04 mk1 and my original part number is 0281002177 and 036906051. I'm unsure whether my performance increase is because I have finally found my boost problem! or it's now over boosting.

Maybe your "shagged" intercooler had a hole in it and wasn't holding boost? Which might explain why it is boosting harder now that you've fixed it.

fingers crossed mankee it's my first skoda and since owning I've spent £££ maintaining and repairing and can't say that even once it's performed for me. I got shown up by a 1.8 zetec focus the other day and it hurt lol :( I want to see him again and show him what a skoda can do lol.
  • Like 1

;

Sorry wrote the post with out my glasses on lol. And my car is an 02 mk1 octy vrs and the doner car was an 04 mk1 and my original part number is 0281002177 and 036906051. I'm unsure whether my performance increase is because I have finally found my boost problem! or it's now over boosting.

You need better glasses :)

The original one is 038 906 051 (not '036').

According to my notes, the sensor is VIN dependent as is the intercooler.

038 906 051 goes with 1J0 145 803 G.

038 906 051 B goes with 1J0 145 803 T.

The '1J0' part numbers are for the intercooler. If you PM me your VIN, I could probably tell you more tomorrow.

message sent ile check in tomoro after work thank you for your help so far

message sent ile check in tomoro after work thank you for your help so far

From the VIN...

The sensor should be 038 906 051.

The intercooler should be 1J0 145 803 G.

The later parts are not shown as alternatives for the above. Having said that, I cannot see why they would not work. The only real way to know, would be to log the boost with VCDS. If you were overboosting, the EML should come on.

I had a look on the Bosch part finder website and found that the part is a suitable replacement for (SKODA Octavia 1.8 RS [1U2] 132KW/ 180PS 1.8l 02.2003 - 09.2004) so I think it will be ok. I don't have access to vag com unfortunately. if it is over boosting wouldn't it go into limp mode or would the fact it might be a higher pressure sensor it might not detect it

I had a look on the Bosch part finder website and found that the part is a suitable replacement for (SKODA Octavia 1.8 RS [1U2] 132KW/ 180PS 1.8l 02.2003 - 09.2004) so I think it will be ok. I don't have access to vag com unfortunately. if it is over boosting wouldn't it go into limp mode or would the fact it might be a higher pressure sensor it might not detect it

The intercooler and sensor should go together as a pair. According to the parts catalogue, that sensor should go with intercooler 1J0 145 803 T (there is a note on the ic entry that specifies the part code for the sensor). You should still get a fault code if you were overboosting - whatever the pressure range of the sensor.

Ok thanks we'll I've replaced my original intercooler and sensor with the ones fitted to the doner car the intercooler has the number (1j0 145 803 s) and as far as i know it was boosting fine. Ile put a few miles on my car and ile wait to see if I get any lights on my dash. If there is any vag com owners in the northants area that will plug me in to see if any thing is going on ile happily pay :)

Ok thanks we'll I've replaced my original intercooler and sensor with the ones fitted to the doner car the intercooler has the number (1j0 145 803 s) and as far as i know it was boosting fine. Ile put a few miles on my car and ile wait to see if I get any lights on my dash. If there is any vag com owners in the northants area that will plug me in to see if any thing is going on ile happily pay :)

We have a winner :)

1J0 145 803 T is a direct replacement for 1J0 145 803 S, so you have a matching ic and sensor. The only real requirement is that the two match.

You my friend are very patient and very knowledgable and a credit to briskoda I will now go for a drive in my car to celebrate now thank you for all the help. I don't know where u get all your information from. I've googled it and couldn't really find much. :)

Edited by Skodaphobe