Interior rear view mirror lowering problem

I think something is wrong with my interior rear view mirror.
I made a lot of adjustments in the beginning and I thought that something is wrong with me :)
But know I think something is wrong with my mirror.
Usually after 500-1000 km driving I have to adjust it...and always to a higher position.
So the mirror somehow slowly "adjusts" itself lower and lower. I think happens slowly from day to day.
I'm the only person who drives the car...I don't adjust my seat (manual)...never touch the mirror...never push the button on it...etc. I'm 36 so my height is the same :)
The only thing that I regularly do is to open and close the sunglasses holder. But I tried to open and close it 100 times, and the mirror stayed in position.
I have auto dimming mirrors and high beam assist (if it makes a sense).
27.000 km on the clock and I think the problem is there from the beginning.
Anyone else with the same problem...?

• Like 1

Does it change with thr daytime, like if in the morning is ok and then in the evening it's out of sync? If so, worry not - when you wake up in the morning you are a few cm (or inches) taller then in the evening. Your spine "compresses" during the day due to gravity and other forces. I have to adjust my mirror regularly due to this happening.

Does it change with thr daytime, like if in the morning is ok and then in the evening it's out of sync? If so, worry not - when you wake up in the morning you are a few cm (or inches) taller then in the evening. Your spine "compresses" during the day due to gravity and other forces. I have to adjust my mirror regularly due to this happening.

No...it's something different...

I know I sit in different position in the morning/in the evening but I never adjust the mirror because of that.

I always have to set the mirror higher and higher.

I'm thinking of making a mark on the windscreen/mirror and measure the distance from time to time.

Never had such a problem with my previous cars.

I've noticed this with mine too! I just put it down to pot holes and speed bumps vibrating the mirror down over time?

I asked my colleagues, and they have no such problem.

All cars (3) have auto dimming mirrors, but I'm the only one with high beam assist.

I noticed that the mirrors have different shape.

Mine looks oldschool (rounded) and the switch is on the mirror side.

The other 2 cars' mirror have more square form and the switch is at the bottom.

The difference is visible in the user manual (Page 57): http://www.octinfo.com/download.php?file=manual/octavia3/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

I have the problem with the bottom right mirror.

Which type of mirror do you have?

Yes, I think it's the resonation caused by bumps etc...and maybe my Canton system too :)

Cars with high beam assist have a higher end rear view mirror (its basically out of an Audi); the others get the typical VW mirror theyve been putting in cars since the Mk5 Golf.

You'll always notice an element of vibration as its bolted directly to the windshield; Id suggest it shouldnt move of its own accord though, mine doesnt except when my considerably shorter missus drives the thing.

Mine dropped a little over 2 weeks, oddly it was two weeks when the car didn't move having been left in an airport carpark. I put it down to the hot weather the uk had whilst I was away,being angled such that the sun was blasting thought the window all day, as it never budged before and doesn't appear to have done yet since. Mines the high-end type for high beam assist.

Mine's the same as page 57 bottom left.  I too have high beam assist and never had any issues with it moving on its own.

Edit - so have I got the wrong mirror for HBA?  It seems to work OK.

Edited by Smeghead

I asked my colleagues, and they have no such problem.

All cars (3) have auto dimming mirrors, but I'm the only one with high beam assist.

I noticed that the mirrors have different shape.

Mine looks oldschool (rounded) and the switch is on the mirror side.

The other 2 cars' mirror have more square form and the switch is at the bottom.

The difference is visible in the user manual (Page 57): http://www.octinfo.com/download.php?file=manual/octavia3/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

I have the problem with the bottom right mirror.

Which type of mirror do you have?

Yes, I think it's the resonation caused by bumps etc...and maybe my Canton system too :)

Yes, I have the high beam assist. Not driven the car for a week as just been away in SWMBOs TSi to give it a good run. I'll keep an eye on it, no pun intended!..over the next week or so as will be going on a few work related road trips over the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

My Octi went to oil change service and I complained about my self dropping interior mirror.

Result: dealer will replace the entire mirror under warranty without further investigation (good news :))

They cannot repair the mirror, nothing to tighten, etc.

I kept my eye on it and now I think it's the heat. 3 days continuous parking at a sunny place and the mirror dropped noticeably.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've got the same problem with my mirror. Seems to lower on its own every couple of weeks but only in warmer weather.

I talked to a local dealer about it but they have told me as I can't demonstrate the problem occurring (i.e. it actually moving in front of their eyes!) they can't do anything about it. They said they spoke to Skoda HQ about it and there weren't aware of an issue.

Has anyone else had any success getting a dealer to fix this problem? I think I may have to contact Skoda CS if the dealer won't budge.

Dealer replaced mine under warranty without further inspection.

This was at the end of summer (or beginning of autumn).

Now it's getting warmer and it seems that the new mirror has the same issue. :(

We had a few hot days in the last 2 weeks (almost 30 C degree) and I had to adjust the mirror 2 or 3 times so far...

• 3 months later...

I've got the same problem with my mirror. Seems to lower on its own every couple of weeks but only in warmer weather.

I talked to a local dealer about it but they have told me as I can't demonstrate the problem occurring (i.e. it actually moving in front of their eyes!) they can't do anything about it. They said they spoke to Skoda HQ about it and there weren't aware of an issue.

Has anyone else had any success getting a dealer to fix this problem? I think I may have to contact Skoda CS if the dealer won't budge.

Well disappointingly I've not had much success with my local Skoda dealer and Skoda customer services in resolving this issue. They are just telling me that because they cannot witness the fault occurring I can't claim for a repair or replacement through the warranty. So it looks like the only way I'm going to get a resolution to this is somehow obtain evidence that the mirror is lowering on its own over time.

Has anyone got any bright ideas how I can provide evidence of the fault?

I have thought about leaving my car with the Skoda dealer for two weeks, but I'm very reluctant as it would be quite an inconvenience, and I'm not sure the mirror would lower by itself if the car is not being driven.

Has anyone got any bright ideas how I can provide evidence of the fault?

Have you got a GoPro or similar?  If so set it up to take a timelapse set of pix that when strung together show it dropping (maybe 1 picture per hour so you get an 11 second clip).  You'll probably need some light in there for nights but realistically it's more likely to be a day problem due to the heat.

Have you got a GoPro or similar?  If so set it up to take a timelapse set of pix that when strung together show it dropping (maybe 1 picture per hour so you get an 11 second clip).  You'll probably need some light in there for nights but realistically it's more likely to be a day problem due to the heat.

I had the same thought about time lapse. I haven't got a GoPro, but I had a quick look at their website and I think the battery life could be an issue. I think you can only take time lapse for a couple of hours at best. I would need something that would be able to take time lapse over 2 weeks.

I think you can power them via the USB port, but you'd need to find a permanently live fuse. There are much cheaper alternatives on the market which might double up as  a dash cam later...or maybe borrow one? 

I think you can power them via the USB port, but you'd need to find a permanently live fuse. There are much cheaper alternatives on the market which might double up as  a dash cam later...or maybe borrow one? 

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look, although I think any involvement connecting to fuses might be beyond my capabilities!