replacing dv valve

just bought new dv valve and i would like to replace it myself. there are plenty of threads of which DV go for and whe it is roughly located but i couldnt find any guide on how to do it (with pics possibly) i know you can access it from underneath and you have to remove engine cover that apparently is held on like 4 screws but never seen my car from underneath so i just wondered if there is another way of doing it ? from the side maybe? if i remove the wheel and cover will i be able to access DV valve without any problems? can i do it from the engine bay ? whats the simpliest and most efficient way of doing it? (without having to go to the garage)

cheers

Nope, gotta be done from underneath, it's buried right up behind the engine. The undertray is just a piece of thick plastic, held on by 15-20 T25 torx screws if I recall correctly, with some locating points at the front to join it to the bottom of the front bumper. Straight-forward to remove if a little time-consuming.

Need to get the car up to a decent height too, on ramps at least so you can move your elbows around as you'll need to get your hands at quite specific angles for access as there's a drive shaft right in the way.

It's held on by three allen bolts, two of which are easy enough to access but the third is a bit awkward, essentially it's on the far side of the valve and you can't really see it so have to access it by feel. We had to fashion a longer allen key by cutting the "L" off a standard one and locating it in its own socket which I could ratchet.

The connector to it can be a bit fiddly to undo too, but if you have a look at the replacement valve you'll see how it connects so you can work out where to squeeze the connector off the original.

Edit: good video here of where it's located: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiBqDcWSYCU

Edited by chr1staylor

I fitted a Go Fast Bits DV+ to my 1.8tsi on the weekend.

You had to access from underneath but it wasn't necessary to remove any of the plastic covers.

There are 3x 5mm Allen bolts.  I found it easiest to come in from the hole that the driveshaft goes through.

Ok I tried and failed :( didtn have much time as it started raining but I jacked it up got under undone side cover scrws went to the back ones and they wouldnt budge...like if they were welded or something sprayed plenty of wd40 and still wouldnt move was gonna t y from the side and then statted ****ing down so I picked up my tools and called it a day...now im thinking..shall I just brake the back bit off ? It should be ok on side screws only? Or do u have any magic way to undo them?