Going to look at a pre FL Outdoor

Heading off to view a one year old pre FL 170 manual Outdoor tomorrow, anything particular I should check on a look around and on the test drive?

I have already ascertained that the aluminium boot partition is missing along with the torch and umbrella.

Two tyres are apparently quite worn which they say they'll replace but I want decent tyres so what's best Conti 5's?

Any mechanical issues I should check for, vibrations, noises......?

Thanks

I was going to point you in the direction of a similar thread, but realised that one was yours too!

Needing two new tyres in less than a year suggests high annual mileage, what has it currently got on it?

Check it has had a service or at least ensure they service it before you pick it up.

The only 170bhp one on Autotrader is this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405204347765/sort/default/postcode/sl13yd/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/keywords/Outdoor/advert-type/Classified/usedcars/page/1/radius/1500/make/skoda/model/superb?logcode=p

The other one only has 13 miles on the clock, the rest are all facelifts.

Check for a rasp or gruff note to the exhaust at 1500-2000rpm, which is normally caused by a loose air intake box, or a rattling heat shield between the engine and bulk head - both are fixable.

Check the front and rear badges, and the wheel hub covers for white worming.

Also check the chrome window surround for white worming/pitting - in particular the rear-quarter window.

As for tyres, everyone here will have a personal opinion and preference: but the general theme is that Conti SportContact [2] wear quickly.  My personal favourite are the GY EfficientGrip Performance tyres, where I am seeing much better mpg vs the Conti SC2 that I removed, with no apparent loss in grip, braking or feel.  But they are low rolling resistance - which means you need to adapt by easing off the gas a lot earlier then normal.  I can't comment on tyre wear on the GY yet.

• Like 1

I was going to point you in the direction of a similar thread, but realised that one was yours too!

Needing two new tyres in less than a year suggests high annual mileage, what has it currently got on it?

Check it has had a service or at least ensure they service it before you pick it up.

The only 170bhp one on Autotrader is this one...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201405204347765/sort/default/postcode/sl13yd/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/keywords/Outdoor/advert-type/Classified/usedcars/page/1/radius/1500/make/skoda/model/superb?logcode=p

The other one only has 13 miles on the clock, the rest are all facelifts.

However that one has both the torch and boot partition :)

Which two tyres need replacing? Its odd its only 2, especially at that age. It might have some other suspension issue.

silver1011. It's not on Autotrader and not sure why you're trying to find it and publicise it anyway? The one you found is actually a 140 auto and not as described.

It has higher than average miles on it and this is reflected in the price at £19k. It is has just arrived at a VW dealer so not yet advertised. They will do the 20k service and replace the tyres. I'm negotiating on the missing parts as they'll obviously source them at much cheaper trade price.

Thanks JakeBlade some great advice.

silver1011. It's not on Autotrader and not sure why you're trying to find it and publicise it anyway? The one you found is actually a 140 auto and not as described.

It has higher than average miles on it and this is reflected in the price at £19k. It is has just arrived at a VW dealer so not yet advertised. They will do the 20k service and replace the tyres. I'm negotiating on the missing parts as they'll obviously source them at much cheaper trade price.

Thanks JakeBlade some great advice.

Ouch. I was only trying to find it so that I could take a look at it and offer you some advice, over and above the limited info already provided.

I'll leave you to it. Good luck.

Check for a rasp or gruff note to the exhaust at 1500-2000rpm, which is normally caused by a loose air intake box, or a rattling heat shield between the engine and bulk head - both are fixable.

Check the front and rear badges, and the wheel hub covers for white worming.

Also check the chrome window surround for white worming/pitting - in particular the rear-quarter window.

As for tyres, everyone here will have a personal opinion and preference: but the general theme is that Conti SportContact [2] wear quickly.  My personal favourite are the GY EfficientGrip Performance tyres, where I am seeing much better mpg vs the Conti SC2 that I removed, with no apparent loss in grip, braking or feel.  But they are low rolling resistance - which means you need to adapt by easing off the gas a lot earlier then normal.  I can't comment on tyre wear on the GY yet.

Is that still the case with the airbox, used to drive me up the wall, I ended up putting sealant round it in the end,

Tyres can be gone on the front in 8K depending on the use so Jake is correct again.