Poor quality paint lacquer?

I have a '56 plate Octavia Classic in Storm Blue and, in 45 years of motoring, have yet to come across another car with such poor quality paint lacquer!

When I first bought the car there were the odd bits where the lacquer had 'disappeared' (assumed to be due to poor quality repairs, which I had repaired) but, on closer inspection, there are also numerous other areas where lacqeur is missing/chipped.

To top it all, this morning there was a small patch of bird **** on the boot lid top, which could only have been on from yesterday at the earliest (I wash and polish the car regularly) I washed off the car and the bird dropping came off, BUT, it had burnt into the paintwork. Even with polishing it hasn't all come out, but I daren't polish any harder for fear of going beyond the layer of lacquer.

As I said, I have never had such problems with any of the other cars I've owned previously (amounting to around vehicles 14!!), and am inclined to think that it is a problem with poor paintwork by Skoda - btw, I briefly owned an '05 plate (Silver) Octavia and that had areas of lacqeur missing too!

Anyone else had similar experiences/thoughts?

Quite possible mate, the spoiler on mine almost looks as if there's no lacquer on even after polishing it just doesn't have the depth of shine like the rest of the paint. I find this car/paint is also far more prone to stone chips than my previous cars despite doing less mileage in this one, bit of a shame as otherwise its a really good motor.

I thought my last car, a 2005 Honda Civic, had soft paint but as it was a fairly dark metallic grey with medium grey undercoat the stone chips were not too noticeable even after 8 years.  However, my just under 2½ year old vRS has numerous stone chips on the front.  As it is metallic black and the undercoat is very light grey the marks really shown up.  Any stone chip seems to go straight through the lacquer and top coat to the undercoat.

I have exactly the same problem where bird **** has burned into the paintwork on the bonnet.  Also, I do a lot of driving down narrow lanes where it is impossible to avoid brushing against vegetation.  As a result the sides of my car are covered in minor surface scratches.  I have never had this happen in any other car, and can only assume that the top coat of paint must be extremely thin.

We have a Silver 55 plate Fabia VRS and the paint and lacquer quality on that is not the best either, seems very thin to me, we're looking to upgrade to a late facelift VRS Octavia so I'm hoping the paint will be better on that although it cant be much worse, but the Fabia will have to go in to my local body shop to have some stone chips addressed before we can even think about putting it up for sale.