What is involved in replacing the standard Fabia VRS horn with one that people notice?

I think that the standard Fabia VRS horn is pathetically quiet and would like to replace it with a better one.  It is not that I am an enthusiastic sounder of the horn but I would like it to be audible on the odd occasion when I do have to use it - typically on the Motorway when some enthusiastic mobile user starts to drift across carriageways as happened on Sunday.

How difficult is this replacement? I don't want to get involved in removing the front bumper or whatever, where is the standard horn located and how does one get to it?  What wiring changes are involved?

I would very much appreciate advice from someone who has actually done this successfully.

Thanks.

Why not do what us oldies all used to do back in the day...fit a set of air horns!

It was best to fit these as extras and leave the standard horns undisturbed,and preferably arrange the wiring so that via a changeover switch it was possible to operate either from the existing horn push...using the original around town and then switching over to the air ones for use on the open road/ motorway.

However,someone will no doubt be able to confirm the legality or otherwise now of these air compressor horns.

• Like 1

You get to it by removing the front bumper.

They are forward of the Power Steering Fluid Reservoir.

Near Side (passenger) in the UK

Thanks, appreciate the info and picture.  As I feared, getting to (and replacing) the horns is not going to be easy, I'm not sure that I want to start removing bits of bodywork.

Why not do what us oldies all used to do back in the day...fit a set of air horns!

It was best to fit these as extras and leave the standard horns undisturbed,and preferably arrange the wiring so that via a changeover switch it was possible to operate either from the existing horn push...using the original around town and then switching over to the air ones for use on the open road/ motorway.

However,someone will no doubt be able to confirm the legality or otherwise now of these air compressor horns.

Air horns are certainly a possibility, I believe that they are legal in the UK and will pass the MOT so long as they sound simultaneously and don't play tunes or sound like Police or Emergency Vehicles - or Mr. Whippy vans!

As to having a switch to select the air horns (motorway) or standard fitment (elsewhere) I have no idea how you would run the wiring into the cabin area or how you would arrange the wiring in general?

Can you still buy the Dukes of Hazard horns?!

Yes,but as Seagoat has reminded me,these are illegal strictly,but the ones that only play a one note blast are OK.

Edited by XK140

Thanks, appreciate the info and picture.  As I feared, getting to (and replacing) the horns is not going to be easy, I'm not sure that I want to start removing bits of bodywork.

Air horns are certainly a possibility, I believe that they are legal in the UK and will pass the MOT so long as they sound simultaneously and don't play tunes or sound like Police or Emergency Vehicles - or Mr. Whippy vans!

As to having a switch to select the air horns (motorway) or standard fitment (elsewhere) I have no idea how you would run the wiring into the cabin area or how you would arrange the wiring in general?

I would have no idea either,BUT I'm confident it wouldn't be a problem to a competent auto electrician.