new engine change oil after run in

VRSMICK,

Not really, it is a VW Refurnished or New engine not some back street Rebore.  

If you want to change the Oil & Filter at 5,000 mile or so then it will do no harm,  but as it is the Dealership usually say the car should still get serviced as its Miles 

not the Engines.

So if the car was due an annual service 1,000 mile after the engine went in, you are supposed to spend money.

You should have gone for a Free Service as a Gesture for Skodas messing about.

• Like 1

With any Degree of common sense they can do a Minor Service or Major on the car and leave off doing the Oil & Filter and let you come in again for that.

Like if a Car is at 38,000 miles and gets a new Engine,

new spark plugs with it,  you are not going to replace them 2,000 miles later. Because the car has done 40,000 miles.

It is just a case of hit or miss with Skoda UK, & Dealers and some thought on the matter and the Customers pocket.

george

PS

So do you both have New Engine Numbers, with the V5 changed, the Service Book & VIN Numbers changed with new Stickers,

or has the Dealership said they Stamped the Old Numbers on the New Engine after grinding off the Numbers on the Engine supplied to them?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Ive had nothing, my dealer said there is nothing to do. I also spoke to skoda uk who said i dont need to do a thing. Strange really as i reckon the v5 will nees updating along with dvlas records.

I would be good to find out what other members have done. I dont even have the new engine number or a stamp in my book detailing it been done. Im still waiting weeks on for a list of all the parts that have been change. A nil cost invoice.

• Like 1

Yeah, with george on this. Best not to change the oil in a new engine until at least 5k miles have been covered. Changing the oil very soon after or during running in gets in the way of the engine conforming process. Best to keep the original oil in her for as long as poss before changing. An early change is just not needed. 

Yeah, with george on this. Best not to change the oil in a new engine until at least 5k miles have been covered. Changing the oil very soon after or during running in gets in the way of the engine conforming process. Best to keep the original oil in her for as long as poss before changing. An early change is just not needed. 

Just curious on this keeping the oil in as long as poss. What's behind this from the mechanical engineering point of view?

Tuners use say 0W20 running-in mineral oil for few hundred miles or even shorter to drop it, change filters and put in end use oil. 

I thought that was to get rid of all the "loose crap" (technical term!) from the engine preventing it from wearing out components.

Running in oil also provides additional lubrication.

We used to run them for 1000 miles and drop the Multi Grade Oil or what ever was in.

But then we used to re-torque down cylinder heads after 500 miles.

Some rebuilding, reboring, Fitting new Liners, blue printing, tuning still will.

Times move on, & fluids moved on.

Manufacturers Factory Refurnished Engines as Replacements for Faulty Factory engines should be as good or better than Production line new engines.

george

• Like 1

If Skoda told people what engines were being put in their cars as Warranty replacements, we might know if the Replacement Engine was another 

Brand New Like for Like CAVE off the production line,

or a Remanufactured engine with Upgraded Parts, and a ECU Update to improve on the Original CAVE engines failing.

Skoda & Skoda UK sadly tell very little and are not prepared to commit to print or admit to failings of their Factory Build 1.4 TSI CAVE 2009-2012 

& some of the early CTHE 2012-2013.

I read in another post that there was an Letter (Question) in the Sunday Times 10/8/2014 Motoring Section on the Longevity of the 1.4 TSI Twincharger.

??

Does anyone have this Newspaper, because i would like to be able to read the question and the answer,

and so far have not been able to.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/324779-14-tsi

Does anyone have last weeks Sunday Times?  Please post what it said.

What i would like to read just once is a Reply or Statement from a Volkswagen Group Spokesperson on the Failings of the 1.4 TSI 132-136 kW engines.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi