Aircon noise - now with video

So the million dollar (or £50) question would be, would this be irritating noise be solved by a regas or is it something else ?

Don't think its the aircon fan as I can't hear it from outside the car, difficult to tell though

The noise is more obvious/prevalent half way through the video

http://videobam.com/LfoFw

- only occurs when turning on (and audible while on with low speeds of the fan switch), or a few secs after turning off the aircon/fan

- quieter when its on hot, noiser when its working harder to keep max cooling

- goes completely away if you leave the fan on, but turn off on the aircon button (noise obvious for a few secs then disappears)

Any ideas ?

Oh and forgive the pikey bluetooth mod, I'm holding out for a decent Pioneer or Kenwood double din!

Sorry as I said ignore the first part (as the phone was in the airstream at that point), its the whispy noise in the background and hard to get in any decent clarity

But you can definitely hear it in the video, sounds a bit like crickets/ an old tape deck stretching a cassette tape kind of noise?

Its frigging annoying on aircon position 1 I can tell you

Can't really be something in the system, like I said, its ONLY when you use the aircon, so the fan itself is noiseless with the aircon turned off, regardless of any speeds.

PS
Probably a better and more sensible description of the noise by the way would have been "fan belt starting to slip" lol

Sounds very much like the noise mine made when it needed a regas.

I took mine to ATS using an Amazon voucher which included an aircon 'service'. They checked the pressure and the system for leaks before doing the regas, and shouldn't charge you if it doesn't need one.

Thanks a lot there Tony - I appreciate knowing that, my aircon wasn't exactly warm its perfectly usable but I'm prepared to regas to see if it goes away

(i've also heard suggestion it puts extra load on alternator causing it to slip which is plausible but I'd hear that from outside the car?)

Cheers