Turbo failure on MQB 2.0T car's (as in octavia RS TSI)

Hi guys,

I am just reading about this. Seems like a lot of turbo's are failing on the GTI and audi MQB A3 2.0T. Our Octavia RS TSI is also one of those.

There seems to be a lot of talk on the forum of VW and audi. Have not seen anyting on skoda forum's about this so I would like to inform you guys.

Seems there are 4 Turbo revisions for our car.  And the 4th one seems to be ok. That is why Audi and VW have or a recall or an extended waranty on the turbo's from now on.

I have revision 2. I am going to contact my skoda dealer to know if they are aware of it and what Skoda is doing...

here some more info

http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290447&sid=cba6b061a0dfb39dd185b41f11768fa5

"Here are the turbo part numbers that fail from the factory on unmodified cars:

06K 145 702 K - Revision 1
06K 145 702 Q - Revision 2
06K 145 702 R - Revision 3

New turbo part number to fix failures:

06K 145 702 T - Revision 4"

It is not the RS cupras and the S3. It is the IHI turbo. MQB 2.0T is our ca

strange i heard that problems started with golf R and those have different turbo. but anyway fingers crossed. let's see how skoda reacts

Indeed, sorry for that. It seems it mostly startet with the R and Cupra and S3. And than the A3 with the 2.0T and built between a short amound of time. 

Maybe our VRS's are ok. Let's hope so

With a 3 year warranty Skoda/VAG will replace the turbo if it failes or as a precaution if there are proven design flaws. I would not see this as anything to worry about, even if VRS turbos were afected (which is not currently the case).

Just checked my turbo it is IHI 22082-04, a bit different number. And number is not on the back but infront in my case.

That is not the number you need to look at. It is very difficult. You need a mirror, or put your iphone or smarphone in there and take a picture. It took me some time to find it...

3 year warranty?  We only get 2 years of warranty.  I might remap just to provoke the turbo to see if it fails in the warranty period ;)

Edited by demaarten
  • Like 1

This question has now hit the Golf 7 GTI forum, but from what I've seen, uk dealers say they are unaware of the issue.

I would wonder, if there is an actual problem with UK cars, whether at least one member on here might report an issue.