4x4 haldex filters (again sorry)

Hi all, I have done a search through the forum but things seem very vague about rear axle oils and filters,I have only had my 2005 Octavia 4x4 for a couple of months and bought a haldex filter spanner in readiness,then bought the oil and filter but the filter supplied is only a tiny thing compared to the spanner size that I bought,so have skoda changed the size of the filters over the years and can anyone give a definite explanation of how to drain and refill the axle ???...thanks in advance

There are two types, the old filter is large and is part of the cap, this is what you have the spanner for, the newer filter is a cartridge, remove a metal cap and insert your new filter, no need for your new spanner.

Oil, drain this through the drain plug at the bottom of the front part of the Haldex (prop shaft end) when all the oil is out, cut the tip off your oil in the tube and squirt the oil in from the bottom, quickly remove the filler tube and insert your drain plug bolt, a bit of a faff but that is how it is.

Search for Haldex servicing on Google and you will find plenty of walk throughs.

Here is a walk through for the more modern Haldex LINK

There is a filler plug on the side that you fill it through I used a squirt can - when it dribbles out it's correctly filled.  The process is as described in the link.

Just be aware the haldex and diff drain and fill plugs are easily mixed up with disastrous consequences.

Scott

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this up again,only just managed to get around to having a go at changing my filter and fluid,drained the fluid out as per the link,took the filter out and 'wrong filter',the one supplied had piece on the end as if fit plugged into something and the supplied spring didn't fit anywhere although number on filters were the same,ordered another filter incase it had been wrongly boxed and it was exactly the same so put the old filter back in to be on the safe side,now next hiccup...how much fluid is recommended ???,when I ordered the oil and filter I was supplied with a 275ml tube but I'm not convinced that's enough and can't find any definite information anywhere,on the link it says about 750ml is that right......why can't skoda give any helpful info on this matter ???

The dealers have a special funnel tool thingy to fill the Haldex up with oil. Very easy with that. Just attach to fill plug. Pour in 720ml oil. wait. replace filler cap. 

If you're only changing the oil definitely go to the dealer. 60 quid is nothing compared with the faff of doing it yourself.