DSG gear changing

I don't know if this is a correct action or not hope someone can enlighten me. When the dsg moves through the gears under inreased speed, why does it not shift through quickly to the next gear up, however if I take my foot off the accelerator it then changes up. This action seems odd to me as the dsg on my Audi TT moves through as I expect it too on revs.

I think this is depending on more then one parameter that mechatronic uses, one is RPMs that you have in particular moment of driving.

I have felt this also in our SuperB,ask local dealer also, and like this is 'normal' for them.

Dependig even if you are in D mode or S mode also...but it is not allways the same as you would expect it to be...

Also experienced strange behaviour, if you run it with a more agressive ride, then it need some time to 'recalibrate' itself back to normal, when next days driving normal-not agressive.

Like mechatronic is a 'live' brain that learns allways...

Sounds like fairly normal behaviour for any auto to me.

Harder acceleration will result in a higher shift point.  The corollary to that is that if you ease off it will sometimes drop into a lower gear. I have often done that to nudge a car into top gear (and/or lock-up on a TC auto).

The observation I have about our Roomster DSG is that it changes up earlier than I expect in D, and later in S!  I am 'adjusting' to it - slightly brisker acceleration in D makes it hang on longer.  I suspect it might be adjusting to me, too, but perhaps the poor thing is getting confused - it's 'her' car really and I just use it when it's handy.

The observation I have about our Roomster DSG is that it changes up earlier than I expect in D, and later in S!  I am 'adjusting' to it - slightly brisker acceleration in D makes it hang on longer.

I agree - I feel the same about my Superb.  It would be nice to have a way of controlling the change points (within parameters obviously) apart from the selection of D or S.  It would be good to be able to accelerate gently but still hang on the the lower gear for an extra couple of hundred revs!

I don't know if this is a correct action or not hope someone can enlighten me. When the dsg moves through the gears under inreased speed, why does it not shift through quickly to the next gear up, however if I take my foot off the accelerator it then changes up. This action seems odd to me as the dsg on my Audi TT moves through as I expect it too on revs.

I guess you are driving DSG box not that long? After some 10t km or so I am now able to make the shifts at the level of revs I want - and it depends only of the way how I press the pedal. However if you want full control, then just use manual mode...

• Like 1

I guess you are driving DSG box not that long? After some 10t km or so I am now able to make the shifts at the level of revs I want - and it depends only of the way how I press the pedal. However if you want full control, then just use manual mode...

You can, and I do, do this - but it would be nice if you could accelerate with less pressure yet still change up a bit later. :)

Guys really?

So what happens when you want to overtake swiftly or need to power past a situation?

Oh I booted it and nothing happened because the engine torque was saturated by a higher gear, it was then I caused a 5 car pile up,

C'mon the DSG is the finest thing in transmissions ever invented, if you press gently it goes up fast, if you boot it holds the last few gears longer, mine would rapidly do 1-2-3 off the line then hold 4 until I eased off, just like it was designed to.

Guys really?

So what happens when you want to overtake swiftly or need to power past a situation?

Oh I booted it and nothing happened because the engine torque was saturated by a higher gear, it was then I caused a 5 car pile up,

Not suggesting it should hold on to a higher gear if you "boot" it - just if you don't!

Not suggesting it should hold on to a higher gear if you "boot" it - just if you don't!

Well it doesn't, not in my experience anyway, it simply won't go in a higher gear until it meets it's programmed levels to avoid people wearing crankshafts out early labouring the engine,

I know VW got it as darn sight better than my VX automatic, that really does hold a gear just a bit too long, normally it needs 32mph in a 30mph zone and 43mph in a 40mph zone before it slushes up a cog, the car could do these gears @ 28 and 37mph tbh but VX won't program it that way even though one disgruntled Scotsman wrote to them to suggest it when he came to the same conclusion as myself.

Sling it in tip mode and try to change up where you feel it would be best, if it goes in feel if the engine now feels bogged down.

Particularly as I am still running in, the engine does seem to labour as it changes up earlier than I would like. I can, and do, use the manual option at times.

It might be just me but i think the type of driving you are doing at the time comes in to play with the DSG's software too.

For instance if i'm just doing town driving and take my foot off the accelerator at around 40mph it may still stay in 4th and sometimes goes up to 5th. As it maybe knows from how i've used the throttle etc... that you are in town traffic. Whereas tonight on my way in to work on the motorway i went from 70mph to 50mph as i entered some roadworks and then had to drop down to around 28-30mph and the DSG stayed in 6th all the time till i gave it more throttle as the traffic speed increased again back up towards 50mph at which point it dropped down to 5th.

I feel it has now fully learnt my driving style now i've had the car for a few weeks.

It really is a clever bit of kit compared to your old stylee auto gearbox.

Cheers

Dave.

It might be just me but i think the type of driving you are doing at the time comes in to play with the DSG's software too.

For instance if i'm just doing town driving and take my foot off the accelerator at around 40mph it may still stay in 4th and sometimes goes up to 5th. As it maybe knows from how i've used the throttle etc... that you are in town traffic. Whereas tonight on my way in to work on the motorway i went from 70mph to 50mph as i entered some roadworks and then had to drop down to around 28-30mph and the DSG stayed in 6th all the time till i gave it more throttle as the traffic speed increased again back up towards 50mph at which point it dropped down to 5th.

I feel it has now fully learnt my driving style now i've had the car for a few weeks.

It really is a clever bit of kit compared to your old stylee auto gearbox.

Cheers

Dave.

DSG is adaptive, meaning that it can adapt to the diver's demands of performance. Also it adapts to the car weight (with 5 passengers it will change gears differently). 

BTW - small tip for those who want the car to stay in gear longer without using S mode. You press accelerator gently in the beginning and just a blink before DSG would change the gear - press the pedal little bit harder (but not too hard, because then DSG will downshift). 

Particularly as I am still running in, the engine does seem to labour as it changes up earlier than I would like. I can, and do, use the manual option at times.

Ah sorry mate I thought you were moaning it wasn't changing quick enough

No worries!  It's fine if I accelerate a bit harder - but if I want to dawdle in town it's just in too high a gear sooner than I would like. :dull: