advice needed

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Fabia soon but still unsure which will be less problematic.

Either the Monte Carlo CR105 or the VRS, on the latter the oil consumption worries me a little, is this on all VRS's?

Thanks for any advice

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest using the 'report' button at the bottom of the page to contact a moderator and ask them to move this to the furby section where you'll get more chance of getting a reply from 'those in the know' Personally I'd avoid the 1.4 tsi twin charger petrol engine at all costs as there is a known problem of excessive oil consumption that often requires a complete engine change to solve it which out of warrenty can be very expensive and SUK won't necessarily help once out of warrenty. Alternatively if you really want one select with care 1 owner with a full suk service history etc and be prepared to buy a decent warrenty if it's older than 3 years/be prepared to pay for one once the 3 years is up on an ongoing basis.

adigillo,  & littleade,  

There are 2 different engine, 1.4 TSI 180 ps minimum,

2009/2010  to 2012, CAVE,  quite a few of the 1,800 have problems.

Engine Revised for last Quarter 2012.  New Component Design & Engine Management. (Map)

So 2013-2014 CTHE Engines should not have the same issues, & there are around 1,200 vRS Twinchargers in the UK with this engine.

A big difference between going Monte Carlo or vRS will be only available in Diesel & Manual or Only available as a Petrol Engine & Semi Automatic.

?

What about a Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI instead of the Diesel,

It can have a Remap done and you will have a nippy Petrol Engine car.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Both cars have their pro's and con's but the answer lies in how long your going to keep it and what sort of trips you undertake.

The diesel for example will need regular long runs to keep the DPF happy.

Whichever you choose go for the newest car you can with a good warranty.

Oh and don't dismiss the TSI 105, although in my personal opinion it works better in the Rapid/Spaceback with the six speed box.

TP

I had a CAVE engined vRS, mine had no engine issues oil or otherwise and was a nippy little car.  I was just never a great fan of the DSG so have gone back to a manual.  I also had the nagging issue in the back of my mind about what would happen to the engine once out of warranty!  There seems to be far less issue with the CTHE engine but as with any car forum you will see more instances of issues.

Can't comment on the Monte as never driven one.

Edited by Moist Von Lipwig

Thanks for the replies so far, I hadn't really thought about the 1.2 TSI 105, what sort of gain can you get with a re-map?

I currently drive a corsa diesel, so that was my idea ref. monte diesel.

I think after reading many post on the forum it might be best to steer clear of the VRS as I probably wont be able to afford a newish VRS

Remapping a smaller engine can give you the power you want but if you haven't done it before just be aware of the affect it has on manufacturers warranty and the need to inform insurers of it which makes the annual renewal session more protracted.  It can be better to go for the standard car that gives you what you want, then again there are many people on this an other forums running heavily modified cars with no issues and fully insured.

George makes a good point about a vRS with a replaced engine, may sound dodgy but shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the replies so far, I hadn't really thought about the 1.2 TSI 105, what sort of gain can you get with a re-map?

I currently drive a corsa diesel, so that was my idea ref. monte diesel.

I think after reading many post on the forum it might be best to steer clear of the VRS as I probably wont be able to afford a newish VRS

Went from a Corsa 1.3CDTI 90 to a Fabia 1.2TSI 86 as our second car and more than happy with the performance of the lower output TSI in comparison; the 105 is even better.

Also we recently purchased our TSI 105 Spaceback to replace an Octavia TDI but originally intended to get a TDI 105. However after testing deisel and petrol back to back I preferred the TSI; so would very much recommend giving all three a test drive if you can.

TP

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

looks like I've bought 105 cr Monte, just waiting for some bits to be done before I finalise the deal. When I take ownership I firstly want to change the bulbs, is this easy and what are people's thoughts on the best whitest bulbs to use