Cambelt change

My wifes Fabia 1.9 TDi estate has now reached 71k, and is 11 years old in November.

I had the cambelt changed at 6 years old and 50k miles as a precaution, the car had done 40k when we bought it 3 years old.

As the car has little value now a cambelt change is a very large expense relatively. I have read on another forum of a yeti reaching 135K in 3 years and still on its first cambelt!

Whats the current guidance as it used to be 4 years regardless of mileage. I was thinking of doing it next year and then hopefully the car will last until I retire in about 8 years time when we will get a new car, as I get a company Yeti through work and that does much of our private mileage. Fabia does about 5k a year at most.

Any history of failures with this item?

4yrs or 40k which ever comes first!

My 2005 VRS service booklet says cambelt change on the PD engine is 120,000km (about 75K miles) with no mention of years. Are you being extra cautious (no bad thing for such a critical component) or is the servicing different for a non -VRS diesel or has it been revised ?

My 2005 VRS service booklet says cambelt change on the PD engine is 120,000km (about 75K miles) with no mention of years. Are you being extra cautious (no bad thing for such a critical component) or is the servicing different for a non -VRS diesel or has it been revised ?

Iv just checked the new auto data and it says now

60k or 48months on a 10,000mile a year car